tips for getting into my first fps and posture

Bluuz

Long time gamer, never really liked fps.

Some friends got me into overwatch, and surprise - I'm terrible at it.

I'd like to work on my posture first, I'm hoping someone can give me or even suggest ways I can improve my posture and settings.

I've been trying to work on a few things:

1. My elbows have always rested on an arm rest, no matter what I'm doing. Is this normal? I see pictures of people having their elbows by the side of their body, and that just seems weird to me.

2. Compared to other fps gamers, my day to day sensitivity settings are astronomically high. I'm using a g502 at 1440p, I started at 3000 dpi at sensitivity setting 15 (default). I've slowly lowered it but it still feels awkward.

3. Continuing the previous point, I've learned this is because most players use their wrist and arm in their movements - which is something I have never done - it has always been wrist only, especially since my arm is sitting on the arm rest.

How can I get used to this? Do most people use their elbow as a pivot for their arms?

1. That's how I game. just do what's most comfortable to you.

2. Unless you're a l33t gamer, it shouldn't matter much. if you're playing for fun, and don't care about the astronomically small difference low DPI will give you at the lower ranks of a game, then don't do it. do what's fun, not what people on the internet tell you is best. this is the best way to game. (irony is ironic)

3. I use only my wrist. Basically the same posture as you. I'm not participating in any esports tournaments, but it hasn't hampered my performance so far, I think.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

I'm using the same mouse.

If you're using LGS profiles: What I do is set three or two levels for DPI (1800, 1500, and 800) and a DPI Shift for the one that situations call for (800, scoped or hipfire vs looking around). I use palm grip (spoiler) for my average sized hands, but you'll have to find which is easiest and most comfortable for you. 

Spoiler

Image result for mouse grip

Sit up like your spine is important to your health. Your elbows should be just about level with the desk and your wrist should be sitting atop something soft that allows circulation when you're using the mouse. Monitor should be centered with your eyes so that you don't have to lift or lower your neck too often (but do turn it every once in awhile to make sure he's awake).

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1. Just go with what is comfortable for you. Slouching and balling up can affect your gameplay however

2. You will feel if your sensitivity is incorrect or something is off. You'll notice that 'hey, this feels too low, I can't track enemies' or 'hey, this is too high, I can't track enemies'. Don't focus on what other people use. Some people say I play on low sens and DPI on CSGO (400dpi 1.2sens) but I have hypermobility, so it feels natural and works for me.

3. same as 1

idk

There is not much to add to what others suggested; I would not worry so much.

Just play as you are confortable, practice and you will improve.

In any case, remember that (at least in my experience) when you change your posture (or your gear, your settings, and so on...) it takes some time to see results because you anyway need to adapt to the change.

1st of all get a giant mousepad. Low sensitivity and giant hand movements will obviously not make sense if you use the smaller mousepads most people buy by default. Yes it is better to aim with your elbow instead of your wrist to avoid injuries. It also makes you more accurate. As for sensitivity (after you get your giant mousepad) make sure that your max horizontal range of motion (unscoped) lets you do exactly a 360 (nothing more and nothing else). Even if you're not playing at a high level now, it's better to get used to playing like this as soon as possible. The only way to get used to it, is to keep doing it. I was a console only player until 2007. It took a few months, but I got used to it and I would never go back now.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Also, I wouldn't use anything higher than 1600 DPI. Use your choice of 400, 800 or 1600 and adjust sensitivity accordingly to fit into the parameters in my 1st comment.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Mouse grab, arm positions, sensitivity all are personal preferences. I use palm grip with minimal movements. I'm not sniper nor I like it. I can do it, sometimes decently, but my style is being supportive and for that it works.

I've used this pic before when talking about posture when gaming. Gear has changed, but its still what I prefer:

Spoiler

IMG_2683.jpg

Notes from that pic. I want my hands to be close to each other. So I'm using tenkeyless keyboard right next to mouse pad. Though in gaming I move whole thing bit more to center compared to typing position.

As for DPI I use 1600-3200. If possible with 500-800dpi jumps. In game I set to 3 or 1.5, depending how game calculates it. With snesitivity and dpi, pick a game, go to empty server and start testing out. In game to 1 or 2 or something like that and then check if you can get it close enough with mouse software. If not, help bit in-game options.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1. People have different postures, ive seen pros with the most absurd postures but they still frag like hell. Its all personal unless youre floating upside down or something.

2 & 3. Astronomical would be an understatement, but we all go through that phase where we lower our sensitivities slowly. I suggest you do a slight leap like going down to 10 or 8 or something like that and try to get used to actually moving your arm, it will eventually become a natural thing.

"Give a man a mask and he will become his true self." -Oscar Wilde

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i5 6600k @ 3.5GHz GPU MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Motherboard Asus Z170 Pro Gaming RAM Kingston Fury 2x4GB DDR4 2666MHz PSU XFX 650W Storage Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, Kingston 128GB SSD OS Windows 10

11 hours ago, Bluuz said:

1. My elbows have always rested on an arm rest, no matter what I'm doing. Is this normal? I see pictures of people having their elbows by the side of their body, and that just seems weird to me.

2. Compared to other fps gamers, my day to day sensitivity settings are astronomically high. I'm using a g502 at 1440p, I started at 3000 dpi at sensitivity setting 15 (default). I've slowly lowered it but it still feels awkward.

3. Continuing the previous point, I've learned this is because most players use their wrist and arm in their movements - which is something I have never done - it has always been wrist only, especially since my arm is sitting on the arm rest.

How can I get used to this? Do most people use their elbow as a pivot for their arms?

1) My arm lays on my arm rest until I play Genji, where I'm required to turn more quickly but don't want to raise my DPI/sensitivity. I aim almost entirely with my wrist.

2) My sensitivity is 2.75 at a DPI of 6600, and I'd recommend moving towards more DPI and lower sensitivity. The reason for an insanely high DPI vs sensitivity comes down to something known as pixel skipping. Basically, if your sensitivity is too high, rather than moving your mouse more quickly, Overwatch will skip over pixels instead. If you're playing more mechanical skill based heroes, it can mess up some of your shots (McCree and Widowmaker come to mind). Here's a great tool to figure out if you're pixel skipping (you probably are), if the box where your resolution is at is red, you're pixel skipping. Blue means you're good.

3) Aiming with your arm is easier to learn, but aiming with your wrist offers a faster reaction time at a greater risk. Unless you have the muscle memory learned over a decade or more, I would recommend learning to aim with your arm. To put aiming with the wrist in perspective, it's been how I've aimed for nearly 7 years now, and my accuracy is subpar for my competitive rank (I compensate with game sense).

At least with Overwatch, you don't need to be mechanically skilled to be good at the game, instead you can focus on learning game sense and communication. A popular player known as EeveeA managed to climb to top 500 on 3 accounts playing only Mercy.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

22 hours ago, Iron couch said:

1. People have different postures, ive seen pros with the most absurd postures but they still frag like hell. Its all personal unless youre floating upside down or something.

Still my favorite style of any pro:

88770-rapha1.JPG

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv