Locking down elderly grandparent's computer

HarryNyquist

So my grandfather has fallen for the "windows support had detected virus" scam twice now. Neither he nor any of my family would like that to keep happening, so we'd like to lock down what exactly he can do on the computer. He uses it for email and browsing the internet, and probably Office or something as well.

I'm already planning to lockout command prompt, task manager, and regedit via the registry as he doesn't use those things, nor does he have a need to. I'm also planning on creating a limited account for him so that he (or rather, the scammers) do not have access to change system settings or things of that sort. I'm likely also going to install Chrome and uBlock to hopefully mitigate the number of said scam popups that appear.

I'm wondering if I'm missing anything else that would be a good idea to lockout. I would like to avoid scammers having any sort of access to something that looks like convincing evidence of a "virus".

Install ChromeOS and be free. Done.

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

Isn't it easier to just advise him to wait on you or someone else to give it a look whenever such thing happens without him trying to solve it by himself?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Isn't it easier to just advise him to wait on you or someone else to give it a look whenever such thing happens without him trying to solve it by himself?

We have. This time he called us after he'd agreed to pay. We impressed it upon him but we'd like to be sure.

7 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

Install ChromeOS and be free. Done.

He's 88 years old. A drastic change is not an option.

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Agreed, if people aren't sure of something then get advice before clicking on something, especially if you've been caught out before. I have never seen any of those scams on my PCs/laptops.

You could:-

install malwarebytes and teach him how to run a scan on it once a week, or buy the premium one where you can set a schedule.

Get him a VPN, the VPNs have some advanced measures to block out loads of crap.

Use adblocker, and stuff like that. Can prevent these popups (guessing that's how he got scammed by clicking on an ad that is supposed to look like warnings) - also VPN can block those too, PIA can anyway.

If you want the cheapest route, do the malwarebytes suggestion and teach him how to run a scan, teach him about pop-ups, that most of them are either redirects to other webpages and possibly scams... put an adblocker for sure too, use firefox browser and block pop-ups too in settings... it won't block everything, but most will get blocked.

Drastic measure, install sandboxie, which will disalow changes to the OS settings etc, so every time he connects it'll be the same as when you set it up for him.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

5 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Drastic measure, install sandboxie, which will disalow changes to the OS settings etc, so every time he connects it'll be the same as when you set it up for him.

This is interesting. If any kind of UI change is out of the question (i.e. changing to something that makes "locking out" more trivial, as in practically any distribution of Linux with your / his choice of DE), then I'd consider running a Windows under some VM (and make it auto-boot it, so he won't even notice). Restore the setting / OS from an image at every bootup, and you're done.

That doesn't rule out becoming a victim of scammers, say by typing a credit card number somewhere it should not be typed (I'm not sure anything exist that could do that).

4 minutes ago, Wild Penquin said:

This is interesting. If any kind of UI change is out of the question (i.e. changing to something that makes "locking out" more trivial, as in practically any distribution of Linux with your / his choice of DE), then I'd consider running a Windows under some VM (and make it auto-boot it, so he won't even notice). Restore the setting / OS from an image at every bootup, and you're done.

That doesn't rule out becoming a victim of scammers, say by typing a credit card number somewhere it should not be typed (I'm not sure anything exist that could do that).

Yeah, VM is an option I'll agree, but I'd go with sandboxie, will also start automatically on login... user does have the option of allowing chnages to happen though, so might be good or bad thing I guess. If he literally only uses certain progs, then install sandboxie and lock it down so he can't write changes to OS disk (he could have a seperate disk/usb etc to write files to anyway IIRC). Haven't used it in a long while personally, but back like 10 years ago maybe IIRC, but good software if you need it.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Deepfreeze?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

If you want the cheapest route, do the malwarebytes suggestion and teach him how to run a scan, teach him about pop-ups, that most of them are either redirects to other webpages and possibly scams... put an adblocker for sure too, use firefox browser and block pop-ups too in settings... it won't block everything, but most will get blocked.

I am planning to talk to him and demonstrate how 'viruses' can infest his computer by doing something like showing the event log, but he's not got the best track record of telling us when things are going wrong, hence my worry.

3 hours ago, Wild Penquin said:

-snip re VMs-

3 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

-snip re Sandboxie-

VMs probably aren't an option either since the computers he purchases aren't even close to the grade required to run that kind of thing.

Sandboxie might work but I'm more worried about the information & money loss than actually being infected by viruses. From what I've seen these people are out to make a quick buck off lack of knowledge, and I'm looking to disable the routes they commonly use to show off the 'viruses.' So when they log in and try to open up eventvwr to show the 'errors', or cmd to show a red-colored tree command, it won't work.

44 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Deepfreeze?

Same sort of thing as Sandboxie, though they have another software called WINSelect...hmm...

12 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

I am planning to talk to him and demonstrate how 'viruses' can infest his computer by doing something like showing the event log, but he's not got the best track record of telling us when things are going wrong, hence my worry.

VMs probably aren't an option either since the computers he purchases aren't even close to the grade required to run that kind of thing.

Sandboxie might work but I'm more worried about the information & money loss than actually being infected by viruses. From what I've seen these people are out to make a quick buck off lack of knowledge, and I'm looking to disable the routes they commonly use to show off the 'viruses.' So when they log in and try to open up eventvwr to show the 'errors', or cmd to show a red-colored tree command, it won't work.

Same sort of thing as Sandboxie, though they have another software called WINSelect...hmm...

Yeah, it's hard with people that areb't as knowledgeable or tech savvy, I can't even remember the amount of times I've shown my sister or whoever how to do something, and still next time she visits my house she's asking the same thing again... drives me mad, lol.

With that situation you have, I think the only thing you can do is try to limit the effect an infection would have, or try to prevent it. As for the money loss, there's not really anyhting you can do on the PC to prevent that as he's handing out his credit card info etc I guess. In a way he's been lucky as it could be much worse witht he criminals that like to wipe your accounts instead if just paying to unlock your PC. I can't think of anything that would help with the financial side of it, as even if he swaps to using a "go between" type card system he'd still be handing it out and not telling anyone until it's too late from the info you gave previously. I wish you all the luck in this, as it's a horrible situation.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Normally, for my parents I will just set up an antivirus and put a password on it.  My advice is if you really want to lock it down, and you're grandparent's computer is only used for basic tasks is to set up Windows Firewall to a default-deny incoming & outgoing setting or even better set it on the rotuer itself.  You can manually add rules for outgoing connections such as HTTP 8080, etc etc and it might take a little while to configure it if you are new to networking, but it will by far be the best way to TOTALLY lock down the system.  And turn of UPnP on the router as well to make sure no system software gets a free pass to receive incoming connections through the NAT.  

Other than that, setup good security software on the computer like Sophos Home which is free and you can monitor it and control it from your own computer remotely.  Another good idea is to install some remote access software so you can access his computer, that you have to manually port forward, and set the port to something obscure.

Another option is to setup a VPN Server in your home network and setup a VPN client on his computer, and prevent any outgoing or incoming connections explicitly except through the VPN.  Then you will have control over the rules and the security of the connection.

Finally, the easiest but also most controversial solution is to either setup an Administrator Account on the machine that your grandparent's don't have the password to, or install Linux, setup a custom user and group for your grandparent's and customize permissions and in the end only you have the root password. 

(as a bonus, most scammers read from a script, the higher level ones having the skill of a level-1 helpdesk.  So they probably won't even know how to sudo, and will try to download teamviewer only to find it requires dependencies they don't know how to install. That would be a hilarious site to see!)

I know these might seem complicated.  But these are great ways of maximizing the security of your grandparent's computer.  And are also free of cost for the solutions themselves. 

• 1 month later...

This is what i do for my parents or children computer i have setup. Set up a secondary account with limited access, usually I install window enterprise as you will have more control. Install the basic browsers with ad-blocker and malwarebtyes and enable window defender (W10) or another third party anti-virus depending on client.

Personally setting a adblock will block pretty much 99% of popups in chrome, you should also enable it incognito mode. You never know what your grandpa does with his free time. 

You could enable this, and create a normal user with basic control and it won't allow them to change settings or remove extensions. Also a limited window users won't allow them to install a new brower so they are force to use chrome. 

https://chrome.google.com/manage/su

Also you should install a remote desktop for further problems, personally i just use a personally modified .RAT as it doesn't go through any other people servers and in most case have better latency.   

VPN is really not necessary for your case, and it will cost more money. The above options is pretty much free. 

Magical Pineapples