Tips on Low Budget Gaming

I have a low budget, but I still want a gaming experience. I need tips on getting a PC and all that.

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

- budget? currency? 

-what types of games? 

At most $100. And the games will probably be eSports (CSGO, Overwatch, etc.).

Just now, ExtremelyBudgetGamer said:

find an old OEM build, look on ebay, do you have a monitor mouse, keyboard? 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Optiplex FTW

My life

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

Yeah, I pretty much have those.

2 minutes ago, ExtremelyBudgetGamer said:

Yeah, I pretty much have those.

then I would suggest finding maybe a 750 to put in a pc. for the pc i would recommend trying to get something for free or super cheap from schools and hospitals that are upgrading

5 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

What's an OEM though?

Just now, ExtremelyBudgetGamer said:

What's an OEM though?

Prebuilt

My life

8 minutes ago, ExtremelyBudgetGamer said:

with $100 used is all you'll get. i don't think an old prebuilt will be that cheap so i'd say go find a core 2 quad or lga 771 quad core xeon, 6-8gb of ddr2/3, a half-decent mobo and psu and the best gpu you can afford after buying everything else.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

3 minutes ago, turnt marshfellow said:

then I would suggest finding maybe a 750 to put in a pc. for the pc i would recommend trying to get something for free or super cheap from schools and hospitals that are upgrading

Those pcs might be too weak to keep up with a 750

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, herman mcpootis said:

with $100 used is all you'll get. i don't think an old prebuilt will be that cheap so i'd say go find a core 2 quad or lga 771 quad core xeon, 6-8gb of ddr2/3, a half-decent mobo and psu and the best gpu you can afford after buying everything else.

It is that cheap

My life

You said in an earlier post you had an Optiplex 580?

Looked around and it has an AM2+/AM3 Mobo. Upgrade the CPU in it, $40-$50 and plus a 750ti for another $40-$50

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

9 minutes ago, Himommies said:

It is that cheap

Core 2 cpus are from earlier in the millenium however they can still handle CS:GO, and other source games pretty well due to optimization. 

Here are some youtube channels that can give you an idea of what it's like to game with older hardware:

Green Ham Gaming

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmWRcMQyU-mGL1VRo2J3FuQ

Low Spec Gamer

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQkd05iAYed2-LOmhjzDG6g

Random Gaming HD

https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomGaminginHD

They're rated in favorite to least favorite. Green Ham Gaming's videos are good however he's from Australia (Does show currency conversions to USD). 

Low Spec Gamer usually does game-play videos with the low spec systems however I don't watch him much.

Random Gaming HD is very informative but his voice is just soooooo .... well you can watch him. Random Gaming also had mentioned in a  video where he gets really cheap used graphics cards (RETAIL) and I've seen cards like the 7970 for like 39~ USD. I have not tried the site so it's more of his recommendation than mine. 

48 minutes ago, ExtremelyBudgetGamer said:

I have a low budget, but I still want a gaming experience. I need tips on getting a PC and all that.

One word: used

Just joined the forum? Read this:

A Quick Guide To Get Started

Need Help Doing Something? Read this:

Guides & Tutorials Catalog

Need a New SSD? Read this:

Droidbot's SATA3 SSD Tier List

Need a New PSU? Read this:

PSU Tier List

In the mood for some memes? Look at these:

Linus Memes

Want to know my PC Specs and Peripherals?

Spoiler

CPU - Intel Xeon E5 2609 v3     Motherboard - ASRock X99 Extreme3      RAM - 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4      GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 SC      

Case - Inwin 103       Storage - HyperX Savage 240gb SSD      PSU - 550W Enermax NAXN      Display(s) - 2x Lenovo L27i-28, Dell 24"      Cooling - Corsair H100i Platinum     Keyboard - Corsair K95 Platinum MX Speed      Mouse - Logitech G900      Sound - Audio Technica ATH-M50x     Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

Join the LTT F@H Team!

You can help scientists studying Alzheimer's, Huntington's, and many cancers by simply running a piece of software on your computer.

Start now: Folding@Home Install Guide and Links

29 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

You said in an earlier post you had an Optiplex 580?

Looked around and it has an AM2+/AM3 Mobo. Upgrade the CPU in it, $40-$50 and plus a 750ti for another $40-$50

Well, actually I was planning on getting one of those, so I don't actually have it...

Do this kind of build.  Ignore the hackintosh bit but do the same thing as he does.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 hour ago, ExtremelyBudgetGamer said:

Well, actually I was planning on getting one of those, so I don't actually have it...

What I suggest is finding a PC either with an 860k or FX4100/6100 compatible mother board or already in it for a really low price and throw a 750Ti in it.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

1 hour ago, adams said:

One word: used

Except the PSU

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

2 hours ago, fpo said:

Core 2 cpus are from earlier in the millenium however they can still handle CS:GO, and other source games pretty well due to optimization. 

Here are some youtube channels that can give you an idea of what it's like to game with older hardware:

Green Ham Gaming

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmWRcMQyU-mGL1VRo2J3FuQ

Low Spec Gamer

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQkd05iAYed2-LOmhjzDG6g

Random Gaming HD

https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomGaminginHD

They're rated in favorite to least favorite. Green Ham Gaming's videos are good however he's from Australia (Does show currency conversions to USD). 

Low Spec Gamer usually does game-play videos with the low spec systems however I don't watch him much.

Random Gaming HD is very informative but his voice is just soooooo .... well you can watch him. Random Gaming also had mentioned in a  video where he gets really cheap used graphics cards (RETAIL) and I've seen cards like the 7970 for like 39~ USD. I have not tried the site so it's more of his recommendation than mine. 

Oh ok so i guess i will upgrade my LGA 775 PC at all

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

16 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Oh ok so i guess i will upgrade my LGA 775 PC at all

What? 

3 minutes ago, fpo said:

What? 

Since you show YouTubers with old system

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Just now, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Since you show YouTubers with old system

Based off the phrasing I can't tell what you meant. 

General tips?

• Find a used prebuilt and throw in a mid-range GPU.  High end is too expensive and low end is terrible price/performance ratio.
  • Don't play on Ultra.  Honestly, on a tight budget don't even worry about getting to high or even medium
  • Don't be afraid to turn down resolution, it's not nearly as damaging to your experience as going under 60 fps
  • Don't get a super high res monitor you can't drive
  • Play slightly older games that are really well reviewed rather than the latest AAA.  You'll save money on the game and the hardware to run it
  • Check out some of the YouTube channels that specialize in gaming on cheap hardware.  
  • Don't waste money on things you don't need, like an i7, but don't under spend since you'll basically just waste money because you could have gotten something much better for just a little more cash (sort of a dup of #1 I guess but it's important! lol)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.