Nintendo Switch to Charge Canadians $100 for games

Why is it that in countries like Russia, games are considerably cheaper because their economy sucks but out of a sudden the CAD loses 30% of it's value against USD but the price increases. I dont remember magically getting a 30% raise within the past 3 years.

Might be just incompetence of Amazon Canada that imports from the US rather than locally distribute.

They do that to Amazon Mexico too: they barely stock anything to their Mexican branch and just try to import from the US branch pricing things at a 30% premium plus 15% shipping or so meaning they're usually more expensive than any other local retailer.

They're basically failing spectacularly when it comes to their international branches in America.

-------

Current Rig

-------

43 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Might be just incompetence of Amazon Canada that imports from the US rather than locally distribute.

They do that to Amazon Mexico too: they barely stock anything to their Mexican branch and just try to import from the US branch pricing things at a 30% premium plus 15% shipping or so meaning they're usually more expensive than any other local retailer.

They're basically failing spectacularly when it comes to their international branches in America.

Actually, most things on Amazon Canada is not from Amazon. They are independent sellers using Amazon online system, which may may not use Amazon shipping service.

So...Doesn't that mean Canadians can now return their switch and switch titles to stores for a refund of 20% more than they originally paid for them?

Sounds fair to me.

3 hours ago, Tao said:

It seems some Nintendo fans have found unreasonable prices for games for Canadians.   When looked at in American prices, the cost should be $80 Canadian after exchange rate, like most other games on other platforms.  However, it seems there is a $20 up charge for Canadians, and even sites like amazon.COM are charging a $15-20 "shipping and import fees deposit" for Canadian buyers.

Going even further:
I am in Saskatchewan and I believe this is illegal in our province.  The Saskatchewan Consumer Protection and Business Practices Act outlines certain 'unfair practices'  with fines for corporations being up to $100 000 for a first offence,  and up to $500 000 for further offences. http://www.publications.gov.sk.ca/freelaw/documents/English/Statutes/Statutes/C30-2.pdf

You're ordering from a other country. Why wouldn't it be a higher price? You think they'll ship it for free? Amazon.CA exists for a reason. 

I would question whether that statute is even valid on international pricing. I'd be willing to bet it isn't. 

2 hours ago, BuckGup said:

I mean they are saving on unlocked phone fees so the money has to come from somewhere else now

Except... Those are two entirely different markets. 

2 hours ago, Tao said:

Ah I see.  Either way their prices are on par with everyone else on American sites.  Like shown in the OP, if you try to buy at American prices, it WOULD be $80 cnd, but they charge a BS shipping fee.

If you buy from a US company, why wouldn't there be a shipping fee? Your argument makes no sense on this. Shipping internationally is not cheap. 

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Duty fees and administration. There is a paper work that needs to be done, and duty fees (anything over 20$) that needs to be paid.

Electronics (and I imagine games) are duty exempt. 

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

When the Canadian dollar was well on par with the US dollars, the HALLS Cough Drops, cost more in Canada than in the US. HALLS are a 100% Canadian company, and they are manufactured in Canada.

Bulk purchasing comes into play here. You buy more quantity, you get a lower per unit price. The US market is significantly larger, and geographically quite close. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

57 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Actually, most things on Amazon Canada is not from Amazon. They are independent sellers using Amazon online system, which may may not use Amazon shipping service.

I noticed that many of those vendors are based on the US so the import and specially shipping gets you regardless. But fair enough I was specifically talking about orders fulfilled by Amazon themselves and their branches.

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Only if they are manufactured or assembled in the US or Mexico

18 minutes ago, dizmo said:

You're ordering from a other country. Why wouldn't it be a higher price? You think they'll ship it for free? Amazon.CA exists for a reason. 

The shipping fee is unusually high for Amazon.com to Canada, although I have not used them much.

If you buy from a US company, why wouldn't there be a shipping fee? Your argument makes no sense on this. Shipping internationally is not cheap. 

The shipping fee is unusually high for Amazon.com to Canada, although I have not used them much.

Also large online retailers pay very little in shipping and fees due to shipping in bulk.  Also some manufacturers offer better prices to help deal with the extra cost that the exchange rate puts on.

I have never ever seen a $20 premium over and above the exchange rate on a Canadian version of a site.

4 hours ago, Tao said:

It seems some Nintendo fans have found unreasonable prices for games for Canadians.   When looked at in American prices, the cost should be $80 Canadian after exchange rate, like most other games on other platforms.  However, it seems there is a $20 up charge for Canadians, and even sites like amazon.COM are charging a $15-20 "shipping and import fees deposit" for Canadian buyers.

Source: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/nintendo-to-start-charging-100-for-switch-games-in-canada.454982173/  
Additional link to formal article included in source link:  http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2017/06/09/upcoming-nintendo-switch-games-will-cost-99-99-in-canada/260317/

Going even further:
I am in Saskatchewan and I believe this is illegal in our province.  The Saskatchewan Consumer Protection and Business Practices Act outlines certain 'unfair practices'  with fines for corporations being up to $100 000 for a first offence,  and up to $500 000 for further offences. http://www.publications.gov.sk.ca/freelaw/documents/English/Statutes/Statutes/C30-2.pdf

Unfortunately it would take someone who purchased a Switch game (from a retailer in the province for this price tag) to challenge Nintendo in small claims court.  However it would be well worth it as small claims is fairly cheap and informal, and would get Nintendo's attention with the $100 000 fine.

welcome to canada

we get fucked over by everything like australia

but more so, except in isp. we dont talk about that yet.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Anyway.. good thing I saved up my Canadian Tire money.

You should invest in the Kanuckistan Peso. In Beaver we Thrust.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

At least when a Canadian rages enough to the point of punching a hole in the wall, you can go to the ER relatively stress free.

9 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Only if they are manufactured or assembled in the US or Mexico

No, it doesn't matter if it's a NAFTA item or not. They're duty exempt. Not every product is subject to duty. Mountain bike parts are another example of a product that, regardless of country of origin, are duty exempt. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

When I thought 60$ was already a lot for a game. I'll continue to buy my games on a 2-3 year buffer... on sale.

I'm already not buying games now that they cost $80. So I will be buying them even less at $100.

It's like they think just because the exchange rate with the US went down, that suddenly all our paychecks went up to match it or something? I mean, come on now, this is ridiculous.

The US is why we can't have nice things. When companies base their pricing on their currency... Blame America! (USA)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

and even sites like amazon.COM are charging a $15-20 "shipping and import fees deposit" for Canadian buyers.

Obviously ... if you try to buy from a US website, you're importing that item into Canada from the US. This isn't anything new, Amazon.com does it for all items that are shipped from the US and are eligible to be shipped to Canada, the import fees deposit is to prevent getting hit by an even higher fee known as brokerage. 

https://www.amazon.ca/b/ref=s9_acsd_hfnv_hd_bw_bHp5rLv_ct_x_ct01_w?_encoding=UTF8&node=16329255011&pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-4&pf_rd_r=3GQFM2FA0GSRQ7QS4ZDJ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=484c6c87-da01-5e6e-928a-a7f1e81fa7ed&pf_rd_i=16329248011

They're $80 + tax on Amazon.ca, not factoring any savings for Prime members. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

18 hours ago, dizmo said:

Yes and no. Electronics have no duty, but there is an import fee. Import fee is the summation of duty + local taxes. You still owe taxes on any item purchased, regardless of where it's purchased. 

If you were to drive down to the US (conversion rates make it not worthwhile anymore) and bring an electronic item through customs, if you declare it, you pay taxes. If you don't declare it, there's a chance you can get away with it (which is committing fraud), but if they send you for secondary inspection and discover the item, you'll get hit with a fine + the taxes. 

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

18 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

This would depend on the item in question. Amazon does have at least 2 warehouses that I'm aware of in Canada, and I've usually been able to find most of the common items on both Amazon.com and Amazon.ca (with reasonable price differences). There are plenty of items that are eligible for Prime and are fulfilled by Amazon (both effectively equal, the latter of which can sometimes be third party sellers). 

2 hours ago, rashdanml said:

Yes and no. Electronics have no duty, but there is an import fee. Import fee is the summation of duty + local taxes. You still owe taxes on any item purchased, regardless of where it's purchased. 

There's no import fee. You have to pay tax, and that frankly should be rather obvious. There's no difference between that and buying something in Canada, where you'd also have to pay tax. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

There's no import fee. You have to pay tax, and that frankly should be rather obvious. There's no difference between that and buying something in Canada, where you'd also have to pay tax. 

Import fee is the summation of duty + local taxes. 

For emphasis. The import fees deposit that Amazon.com charges includes both. Both duty and taxes. 

On 2017-6-19 at 10:50 PM, rashdanml said:

For emphasis. The import fees deposit that Amazon.com charges includes both. Both duty and taxes. 

You're making no sense. I stated there's no duty in electronics, which there's not. I never implied you don't have to pay tax. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler