Aerodynamics

Julian5

I am currently engineering my v2 version of my f1 in schools car, it is a small scale car powered by a co2 cartridge designed to go down a 25m track, my current version does 25m in under 1.4s, however, I would like to shave off another 0.3-0.2s I believe my main issues are the bearings (only ceramic hybrids) and the weight. It weights about 70g I believe. I have attached pictures of the model and the one I am currently designing to be CNC'd. Will taking material off the side of the body underneath improve speed, any tips?

https://i.gyazo.com/d10bb98329a639e96fbd9d942d0da553.png
https://i.gyazo.com/dd0c44a7416831d6905dab4849031632.png
https://i.gyazo.com/b4f70659cfef30fe55607dee724c5fd3.png

As you can see on the second model the  front wing has a little funnel to direct the air into the under slot, should I place the wheel as high or low as possible?

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

This isn't my forte, but i have a question about the split wing design for the front.

Is there a reason you are trying to funnel air that way? Because i'm thinking doing so adds unnecessary drag especially since the air only ends up crashing against the tire.

Also is it possible to mount some, if not all, the tires internally?  I know a lot of the rocket cars that go for land speed records have the tires inside the body to reduce drag.

If you haven't already you could look up pictures of the bonneville salt flats speed record holders for some inspiration. 

I agree with your first comment and I designed them for esthetics (dumb me) but the wheels are as enclosed as the restrictions allow. To be honest I doubt aerodynamics are the main factor but Weight is the issues. I will try printing the PLA parts in a lower density.

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

2 minutes ago, Julian5 said:

I agree with your first comment and I designed them for esthetics (dumb me) but the wheels are as enclosed as the restrictions allow. To be honest I doubt aerodynamics are the main factor but Weight is the issues. I will try printing the PLA parts in a lower density.

Just be careful if you decide to remove material from the body.  Any cavity you open up could create air pockets and turbulence that more than offset the amount of material you removed.

Is the body one solid piece?  If so is it possible to have certain sections be hollow?

Does it have to look like a F1 race car? If not, just trim off literally as much weight as you can. Aerodynamics really only matter when you start going really fast. I would try to make the body sides hollow, leave them to have 1/8th thickness. Weight reduction will increase acceleration. Aerodynamics will just decrease the rate at which drag affects your car, which at this sizer, speed and track length isnt as big of a factor. (I did this project in my 7th grade class but it was hand made with wood, the winner jsut happened to be the lightest)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

6 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Does it have to look like a F1 race car? If not, just trim off literally as much weight as you can. Aerodynamics really only matter when you start going really fast. I would try to make the body sides hollow, leave them to have 1/8th thickness. Weight reduction will increase acceleration. Aerodynamics will just decrease the rate at which drag affects your car, which at this sizer, speed and track length isnt as big of a factor. (I did this project in my 7th grade class but it was hand made with wood, the winner jsut happened to be the lightest)

its going almost 65km/h, i would say some downforce is quite needed. but probably not as much as there is in these scetches.

make the body as low weight as possible and settle for a lesser angle on the front wing and makeing it a solid thing could help a bit more

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I am gonna stay with the chassis design however I think I am going to try and reduce as much weight as possible on the wheels and ailerons. the minimum weight is 50g

Elemental 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Laptops

Spoiler