What would you build with for mining if you had $2000-$2500 to spend on it?

GET ALL THE 7950's!

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

not sure if mining is worth it at that budget. no expert though...

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

not sure if mining is worth it at that budget. no expert though...

For litecoins? Yes. Bitcoins? Probably not.

Which ones?

THE CHEAPEST ONES!

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

THE CHEAPEST ONES!

Is sandwiching cards together a bad idea?

Especially because they are non-blower style coolers...

Is sandwiching cards together a bad idea?

Especially because they are non-blower style coolers...

BUY ALL THE EXTENSIONS!

I would buy an Avalon unit.

Build? Not worth it.

Do those work with litecoins? I heard that ASIC don't work soo...

Then where do I put the cards? On a potato? :P

IN A MILK CRATE!

Blue_Milk_Crate.jpg

miner-268x300.jpg

no they do not..

IN A MILK CRATE!

<pic 1>

<pic 2>

What fracking motherboard is that? It apparently has PCI-E lanes placed throughout the whole thing :P

What fracking motherboard is that? It apparently has PCI-E lanes placed throughout the whole thing :P

Nope, uses these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BZBFTG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B008BZBFTG&linkCode=as2&tag=cptbr-20

Can you daisy chain those? @megadarkwood

Like to make it taller? I guess, I wouldn't.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/26HGK

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/26HGK/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($159.99 @ Newegg) 

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($35.98 @ Newegg) 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($104.99 @ NCIX US) 

Memory: Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($64.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($58.99 @ NCIX US) 

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7990 6GB Video Card  ($999.99 @ NCIX US) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ NCIX US) 

Power Supply: Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($188.98 @ Newegg) 

Total: $1723.90

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-22 16:52 EST-0500)

PC Specs

Intel i5 4670k 4.2ghz @1.20v | Cooler Master 212 Plus | Asus z87-A | Fractal Design Define R4 |Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm HDD | 2x Samsung 840 EVO | Seasonic 520w m12II | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb DDR3 1600mhz | PowerColor 7870 GHz edition | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | NZXT Hue RGB Controller

You... don't get it. 

An Avalon can make enough BTC in a month to pay for itself. And probably buy another Avalon.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

You... don't get it. 

An Avalon can make enough BTC in a month to pay for itself. And probably buy another Avalon.

No, it can't. A 1TH miner can, a 63GH one can't do anything at the current difficulty.

No, it can't. A 1TH miner can, a 63GH one can't do anything at the current difficulty.

Aaaaand that's why I dont want to do bitcoins.

Hmm, you are kinda right. I didn't realize the difficulty was so high. So you are right in that I was wrong where I said an Avalon could pay for itself and possibly another Avalon in a month.

However, if I bought an Avalon unit, I would break even in 73 days according to this calculator.

I would make $37 per day. 

One very very important thing you have to realize when BTC mining is that you can't look at the numbers today and use that to calculate whether you will break even or have a profit. BTC's price changes too much for that to even be remotely reliable.

If BTC gets over $1000 one day (It's probably gonna happen within 6 months, depending on the news and events regarding Bitcoin), then that "$37 per day" was really "$50 per day". My profits for that time period actually goes up because my total BTC is increasing linearly (even considering increases in difficulty) relative to the price, which can very easily increase exponentially ($150 to $500? I call that exponential). 

My point is, even if I got the equivalent of $37 worth of BTC a day, that will go up as the price does. The point isn't to view the BTC as money now, but as money later. Because that's when you will actually use it, and the price will most certainly be different then. 

Also, I wouldn't say "A 63GH one can't do anything at the current difficulty" if it can pull $37 a day. Also, that's considering the power usage. $37 is kind of a lot when you basically have to do nothing.

If I mine 0.02BTC over a 3 day period, and BTC's price increases from $100 to $500, I didn't make $2 over those 3 days, I made $10 over those 3 days. And the longer I hold onto my BTC, the more I made over that time period. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Instead of building a separate and dedicated mining rig, consider "upgrading" your current computer(s).

Mining Litecoin or other scrypt based coins is the way to go. USB ASIC's, or most ASIC's will not see the returns you may think. http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1oto74/thinking_of_ordering_an_asic_there_is_most_likely/

I'd also point out by that everyone should avoid Avalon miners for their company is pretty bad. From mining on their pre-orders before shipping, to general shipping delay scams, and their recent attack of the Bitcoin network via CoInvalidation.

I'd suggest splitting your budget between buying coins directly and mining hardware. You don't want to be stuck with only mining hardware if the difficulty or price jumps up before you can mine some.

Look into buying some 7950's for your current computer. Use risers to separate and keep them cool. You can build a GPU rack to mount fans and keep it looking "decent" There's no need to purchase an entirely dedicated mining rig... Unless you wanted to make a GPU farm with a minimum of 24 GPU's across 6 dedicated rigs.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

However, if I bought an Avalon unit, I would break even in 73 days according to this calculator.

Try this calculator. http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/ It uses recent difficulty trends to predict future increases, allowing a much more accurate estimate for the mid term.

The calculator you used previously is fairly static, and assumes the difficulty will only increase very little over the course of a full year. Therefore it's stats are generally good for only 2 weeks until the next difficulty change.

You find out more about the current, previous, and next estimated difficulty here. http://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.