[upgrade] Optiplex 980 from gt 710 to...?

Go to solution Solved by manikyath,

look at what kinds of GPU upgrades dell themselves recommends, they should have documentation for that *somewhere*.

that said, i'd recommend to go safe with GT1030 (should already be a huge boost in performance)

The optiplex 980 that I have has:

i7 870

16gp ddr3 fury

gt 710

psu 235 (stock with the computer)

ssd 750evo 250gb

Now, I was looking to squeeze my gpu capabilities I had in mind 1050, 1050ti, 1030 but I don't know exactly if the PSU will survive with any of those 1050s... and if it won't bottleneck to the point of being useless to upgrade to them.

EDIT:

added 2 pics

gt 1030.png

gt 1050ti.png

look at what kinds of GPU upgrades dell themselves recommends, they should have documentation for that *somewhere*.

that said, i'd recommend to go safe with GT1030 (should already be a huge boost in performance)

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

they probably haven't updates that since the computer came out, and its a buiness system, so the gpus listed will probably be things like a nvs 310.

Power supply wise you have more than enough for a 1050ti.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

they probably haven't updates that since the computer came out, and its a buiness system, so the gpus listed will probably be things like a nvs 310.

Power supply wise you have more than enough for a 1050ti.

well, you can base youself on the wattage of the most power hungry listed GPU.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

but the suggested gpu's are never high power as this is a buiness desktop, and there is no need for a powerfull gpu, and if you needed a powerufll gpu you go buy the dell precision.

PSU wise, you can run on much lower than people seem to think. I ran a phenom ii x6 1090t and a rx 480 on a 280w psu just fine with primve95 + furmark.

I would go with the 1050 Ti. It is a good GPU for the power constraint. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

This are interesting results that I got:

2 pics added with the watt consumption.

5 hours ago, manikyath said:

I checked the specs of each low profile and almost every single one says "recommended psu 300w"
just one saw that it was consumming 75w cuz that's what the motherboard could supply to the gpu.

4 hours ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I would go with the 1050 Ti. It is a good GPU for the power constraint. 

I know it is a good gpu and I know pascal it's a very good optimized maxwell the thing is I don't want to force the psu to the limits just playing overwatch or other games. I won't use it to bench hard but I don't want the psu to pass away cuz of the gpu pushing to hard from just playing games. I love the gtx 1050ti for this computer just don't feel confortable with the psu limitation.