4790k OC is at 100 degrees!!

I decided to crank up the OC on my i7 4790k to 4.7 ghz at 1.3v, 1.18v cache.  CPU temps, according to HWMonitor, are reaching 100 degrees C under full load Prime95!  She's totally stable after 12 hours of reduced load (Heaven loop plus 4k youtube videos).  This reduced load gets up to 70-80C.

Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S with fan in a pull configuration due to RAM clearance issue.  Case fan is exhausting right next to it.

Thermal compound: Arctic Silver MX-4

Case has 5 x 140 mm Noctua fans.  There is no shortage of airflow!

Ambient temperature: 20 C

How accurate is HWmonitor?  I'm surprised I never got any warnings from the system at 100C.  I stopped the test right away though.

Any suggestions?  I was thinking about adding a slim 120mm fan for push/pull?  

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

I'm just really surprised it's getting that hot.  I don't think another fan will bring it down 20 degrees.  1.3v is not very high.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

I'd check the contact with the heatspreader, but it just might be too much for that cooler. Have you tried lowering the voltage? I ran those clocks at 1.2.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

You make me feel so much better about seen mine at 35c at 4.2Ghz lol

You're a brave guy! I recommend getting a better cooler as well.

CASE: Thermaltake Armor Plus

MOBO: EVGA X79 FTW

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 CPU

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080

RAM: Corsair Vengance DDR3 16GB

SSD: Samsung 850 PRO

HDD: VelociRaptor 300GB

Cooling: Kraken X60

Just now, App4that said:

I'd check the contact with the heatspreader, but it just might be too much for that cooler. Have you tried lowering the voltage? I ran those clocks at 1.2.

Sure, I'll check the contact.  I can probably lower voltage to maybe 1.28, but it was not perfectly stable at 1.27. 

PC Build

Desk Build

I had to shim the bracked on my H105 to make proper contact, once I did my temps dropped almost 20c. I idled at ambeint and topped out at 60c. 4.7GHz using 1.2v

4 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

I decided to crank up the OC on my i7 4790k to 4.7 ghz at 1.3v, 1.18v cache.  CPU temps, according to HWMonitor, are reaching 100 degrees C under full load Prime95!  She's totally stable after 12 hours of reduced load (Heaven loop plus 4k youtube videos).  This reduced load gets up to 70-80C.

Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S with fan in a pull configuration due to RAM clearance issue.  Case fan is exhausting right next to it.

How accurate is HWmonitor?  I'm surprised I never got any warnings from the system at 100C.  I stopped the test right away though.

Let's see... weak cooler, high voltage, intensive test.. yeah, 100C seems just about right.

Assuming it is in fact running at 1.3v (which might not be true, seeing as "this is what I told it to run at" is just plain wrong), lower your voltage down. Try 1.2v (or lower, actually), should be much more manageable.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Yowza, that's hot. IMO I think the cooler is just being flat out overwhelmed. Have you tried manually cranking up the fan speed and see how it responds? Maybe the fan curve is way too conservative. Really shouldn't matter though. You just really put some serious strain on it with voltage + load.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

Make sure any sort of Adaptive voltage is disabled. Are you monitoring the voltage during these tests?

It's off.  HWMonitor reports a constant 1.299 voltage during idle and load.

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

Let's see... weak cooler, high voltage, intensive test.. yeah, 100C seems just about right.

Assuming it is in fact running at 1.3v (which might not be true, seeing as "this is what I told it to run at" is just plain wrong), lower your voltage down. Try 1.2v (or lower, actually), should be much more manageable.

I'll try...  

PC Build

Desk Build

Just now, Majestic said:

NH-U12S is not a weak cooler...

It's a Hyper 212-esque type cooler... c`mon, you can't expect too much out of it. People overhype the power of those air towers.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

2 minutes ago, Majestic said:

I guess he meant for this time of OC.

2 minutes ago, Majestic said:

The 4790k is a volcano. Not picking on it, it just runs hot. 

3 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

Yowza, that's hot. IMO I think the cooler is just being flat out overwhelmed. Have you tried manually cranking up the fan speed and see how it responds? Maybe the fan curve is way too conservative. Really shouldn't matter though. You just really put some serious strain on it with voltage + load.

I am running a 'silent' fan curve, but by 70 degrees every fan in the system is a full speed (about 1450 rpm).

PC Build

Desk Build

2 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

I am running a 'silent' fan curve, but by 70 degrees every fan in the system is a full speed (about 1450 rpm).

Well, options seems to be:

1. Get a better cooler

2. Lower your OC.

3. Get 2k rpm fans and slightly lower your OC.

4. Revise option 1.

2 minutes ago, XiuzSu said:

Well, options seems to be:

1. Get a better cooler

2. Lower your OC.

3. Get 2k rpm fans and slightly lower your OC.

4. Revise option 1.

Ok, I'll start with lower voltage and go from there.

PC Build

Desk Build

I think there is an error with Prime 95 and it shows 100C when it's really not. I also have a 4790K that I have clocked to 4.7ghz at 1.3V, and when I use Aida64, I only get 55-60C under 100% load on a Corsair H105. But Prime 95 shows 100C, which im pretty sure is an error

5 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

I think there is an error with Prime 95 and it shows 100C when it's really not. I also have a 4790K that I have clocked to 4.7ghz at 1.3V, and when I use Aida64, I only get 55-60C under 100% load on a Corsair H105. But Prime 95 shows 100C, which im pretty sure is an error

Prime can produce way more heat than AIDA. Especially when testing everything in AIDA like memory etc. It won't produce as much heat as the smallFTT test in prime. Prime is more or less the Furmark of CPU tests. Pretty unrealistic, but definitely the most intense thermals your CPU will ever see.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

3 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

It is not an error, it's just that AIDA is a potato test while P95 is designed to squeeze as much performance as possible out of the CPU, taking advantage of features other programs don't use.

5 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

There could be a software error but you are also running water cooling. That would make a lot of difference.

22 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

That Intel TIM tho...

Why don't you just add this Intel slam to your signature so you don't have to post it as much?

Could it just be something as simple as Prime95 at 1.3v on a Haswell architecture chip is a bit much to ask of a Noctua NH-U12S cooler?

Every single temp problem with an Intel chip is not related to TIM.  

For a guy who proclaims to not be an AMD or Intel biased individual, you are definitely not acting like it.  

29 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

This is about what you can't expect out of your cooler bud, given your voltage and clockspeed.  Prime95 with AVX is a beast on any CPU.  

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Prime95 with AVX is a beast on any CPU.

Reminder that AVX-512 is (supposedly) coming with Cannon/Coffee.

Guess I'll sell my oven and use one of those processors instead...

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

This is about what you can't expect out of your cooler bud, given your voltage and clockspeed.  Prime95 with AVX is a beast on any CPU.  

Thanks, I appreciate the voice of experience.

PC Build

Desk Build