how to fix a Corrupted OS? (Windows 7)

Hi i trying to fix my old system and installed windows 7 to work and after there was a blackout in my area while it's installing the windows update. I can't even boot up the OS properly.

Here's how i fix it and failed:

• I tried to start windows normally and it din't worked (i waited for over 30 minutes and it din't go passed the logo part)
  • I tried to select startup repair and tried to repaired it and it din't work.
  • I tried to install a different OS but even i set the priority to the USB Boot device or CD Boot Drive. it's still leads to the Corrupted OS even i disabled it.
  • I tried to install an OS on a different hard drive and it keep saying that the BOOTMGR is missing even it's already there in the boot drive.

Is there anything to fix it? I'm fine if the OS needs to reformat since there are no files in it.

13 minutes ago, Elastico345 said:

Hi i trying to fix my old system and installed windows 7 to work and after there was a blackout in my area while it's installing the windows update. I can't even boot up the OS properly.

• I tried to start windows normally and it din't worked (i waited for over 30 minutes and it din't go passed the logo part)
  • I tried to install a different OS but even i set the priority to the USB Boot device or CD Boot Drive. it's still leads to the Corrupted OS even i disabled it.
  • I tried to install an OS on a different hard drive and it keep saying that the BOOTMGR is missing even it's already there in the boot drive.

Is there anything to fix it? I'm fine if the OS needs to reformat since there are no files in it.

Go into BIOS and change boot device order to USB device or CD/DVD drive and try again. If it still isn't booting its either an issue with the burned image or you might have a BIOS feature like secure boot/UEFI turned on. If thats the case turn them off and try again. I have a motherboard which prevents USB devices etc from launching if they're plugged in while thats turned on. BOOTMGR missing or corrupt is a file that tells the OS how to boot. Usually a system recovery using a Windows 7 image will fix it.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

21 minutes ago, Elastico345 said:

First try what @sof006 said. If it doesn't work, this often fixes startup problems for me:

Load up an installation disc/USB.  Go through the advanced options and open up Command Prompt.  Use the following command:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir="C:\" /offwindir="C:\Windows"

If it finishes in like 10 seconds or gives an error about not finding the directory, C is the wrong drive.  You'll have to change C to different letters (D is the most common alternative, but it could be anything from A to Z).  It should take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour depending on what problems are found.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 hour ago, sof006 said:

Go into BIOS and change boot device order to USB device or CD/DVD drive and try again. If it still isn't booting its either an issue with the burned image or you might have a BIOS feature like secure boot/UEFI turned on. If thats the case turn them off and try again. I have a motherboard which prevents USB devices etc from launching if they're plugged in while thats turned on. BOOTMGR missing or corrupt is a file that tells the OS how to boot. Usually a system recovery using a Windows 7 image will fix it.

I din't see any options about secure boot

2 minutes ago, Elastico345 said:

I din't see any options about secure boot

What motherboard do you have?

System Specs:

11 minutes ago, sof006 said:

What motherboard do you have?

A really old Foxconn motherboard (i forgot the model number)

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

First try what @sof006 said. If it doesn't work, this often fixes startup problems for me:

Load up an installation disc/USB.  Go through the advanced options and open up Command Prompt.  Use the following command:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir="C:\" /offwindir="C:\Windows"

If it finishes in like 10 seconds or gives an error about not finding the directory, C is the wrong drive.  You'll have to change C to different letters (D is the most common alternative, but it could be anything from A to Z).  It should take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour depending on what problems are found.

the problem with that is that i can't boot my installation disc/USB even i set my installation disc/USB as my first boot and disable the Corrupted OS's boot

21 minutes ago, Elastico345 said:

the problem with that is that i can't boot my installation disc/USB even i set my installation disc/USB as my first boot and disable the Corrupted OS's boot

I figured Secure Boot was preventing it, and @sof006's instructions would have fixed it.

Do you know if you have a UEFI BIOS?

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

10 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I figured Secure Boot was preventing it, and @sof006's instructions would have fixed it.

Do you know if you have a UEFI BIOS?

another problem with that is my motherboard is probably too old that it doesn't have a Secure boot option in it

Just now, Elastico345 said:

another problem with that is my motherboard is probably too old that it doesn't have a Secure boot option in it

That's not really a problem.  If you don't have Secure Boot, then it's not causing any issues.

Are you trying to boot a DVD or flash drive?

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

That's not really a problem.  If you don't have Secure Boot, then it's not causing any issues.

Are you trying to boot a DVD or flash drive?

yea i set the usb on first priority and then dvd as the second one. i disabled the third one

1 minute ago, Elastico345 said:

yea i set the usb on first priority and then dvd as the second one. i disabled the third one

I'm not asking what you've set them to.  I'm asking what kind of installation media you have.

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

I'm not asking what you've set them to.  I'm asking what kind of installation media you have.

windows 8.1 on the usb and windows 7 on the dvd

Just now, Elastico345 said:

windows 8.1 on the usb and windows 7 on the dvd

Try unplugging the hard drive, just to see if the DVD will boot.

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Try unplugging the hard drive, just to see if the DVD will boot.

it says Disk boot failure

1 hour ago, Elastico345 said:

it says Disk boot failure

In that case your DVD and/or USB is not bootable. Sounds like you've burned the image incorrectly to the USB and the DVD is incorrectly burned or DVD is damaged. How did you put the ISO onto the USB?

System Specs:

24 minutes ago, sof006 said:

In that case your DVD and/or USB is not bootable. Sounds like you've burned the image incorrectly to the USB and the DVD is incorrectly burned or DVD is damaged. How did you put the ISO onto the USB?

No i extract the files from the iso file into the usb... plus the dvd works fine. it's just that the pc just won't allow it.

2 hours ago, Elastico345 said:

No i extract the files from the iso file into the usb... plus the dvd works fine. it's just that the pc just won't allow it.

Thats not how you create a bootable USB. You need to use a program. Download a program called UltraISO and run it as administrator. (Download the trial).

Once open plug in your USB you want to burn to, go to the folder in top left and find the ISO you want to burn and open it. Then go to the top and select bootable and select Write Disk Image and select the USB stick from the list and click write.

System Specs:

8 hours ago, sof006 said:

Thats not how you create a bootable USB. You need to use a program. Download a program called UltraISO and run it as administrator. (Download the trial).

Once open plug in your USB you want to burn to, go to the folder in top left and find the ISO you want to burn and open it. Then go to the top and select bootable and select Write Disk Image and select the USB stick from the list and click write.

really? because that method worked for me on most cases?

5 hours ago, Elastico345 said:

really? because that method worked for me on most cases?

In this situation try my method

EDIT: I would also go as far as to try different USB ports. The ports on the back of your PC would be good as they're directly hardwired to your motherboard.

System Specs:

10 hours ago, sof006 said:

I would also go as far as to try different USB ports. The ports on the back of your PC would be good as they're directly hardwired to your motherboard.

It's stuck on "Verifying IDM Pool Data"... maybe i should try with a dvd one?

2 hours ago, Elastico345 said:

It's stuck on "Verifying IDM Pool Data"... maybe i should try with a dvd one?

Possibly. Its possible maybe your ISO files are damaged as well.

System Specs: