Should I buy a 300W PSU, or nah?

I'm thinking of buying GTX 1050 mini, but I have a 240W or 250W PSU and the 1050's recommended System Power is 300W. Should I upgrade my PSU or nah? If I didn't upgrade my PSU, will it bottleneck? You can see my System specs. below...

Windows 7 Ultimate-64 Bit (6.1, Build 7601)

System Model OptiPlex 7010

Mainboard Manufacturer / Model Dell Inc. / 0WR7PY AO1

BIOS Date 09/09/13 14:35:04 Ver: A16.00

Graphics Intel(R) HD Graphics

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3240 CPU @ 3.40 GHz

Chip Type Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

Chipset Intel Ivy Bridge Rev. 09

RAM Type DDR3 Size 4 GBytes

Full specs?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 minute ago, ZM Fong said:

Full specs?

Of what?

4 minutes ago, notBoi said:

Of what?

The PC you'll be using.

If it's a decent 250W PSU then you'll be fine, but that said most PSUs of 250W advertised wattage are not particularly good. 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

if the power supply is a brand name one (for example let's say a Delta OEM one made for Dell or someone like Dell), then it should be fine. Basically your power supply should be capable of at least around 180 watts on 12v (look on the label , multiply 12v with the current value listed on the label)

A GTX 1050 will use up to 75 watts. If you have a low power processor and just one or two hard disks (basically a plain simple computer), the power supply you have now may be enough.

If you're paranoid, you could probably just go in the video card's control panel and move the power limits (or whatever is called on nVidia) slider about 1% to the left and disable boosting, and then the video card would use even less power.

3 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The PC you'll be using.

If it's a decent 250W PSU then you'll be fine, but that said most PSUs of 250W advertised wattage are not particularly good. 

3 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

your system 

Forgot to add that in the post, and updated it.

13 minutes ago, mariushm said:

if the power supply is a brand name one (for example let's say a Delta OEM one made for Dell or someone like Dell), then it should be fine. Basically your power supply should be capable of at least around 180 watts on 12v (look on the label , multiply 12v with the current value listed on the label)

A GTX 1050 will use up to 75 watts. If you have a low power processor and just one or two hard disks (basically a plain simple computer), the power supply you have now may be enough.

If you're paranoid, you could probably just go in the video card's control panel and move the power limits (or whatever is called on nVidia) slider about 1% to the left and disable boosting, and then the video card would use even less power.

How about this dude?

Screenshot_13.jpg

There's no mention of manufacturer and/or model there ... so it should be obvious i can't say for sure

i figured you'dbe smart enough to remove the side panel and LOOK with your eyes at what is written on the power supply label

still it says up to 90% efficient (80plus gold) and most of these power supplies are modern and have most power concentrated on 12v so you should be fine.

one more thing: that power supply may not have a pci-e 6pin power connector. If your video card will require one you may need to buy a molex/sata to pci-e 6pin adapter cable ad hope the power supply has spare connectors.

ffs open the lid and look iside and see what power supply connectors are present and unused if you plan to buy card that requires extra power connector

Does your optiplex is SFX or ATX case?

because if this was SFX, then your PSU won't fit in that case.

35 minutes ago, mariushm said:

There's no mention of manufacturer and/or model there ... so it should be obvious i can't say for sure

i figured you'dbe smart enough to remove the side panel and LOOK with your eyes at what is written on the power supply label

still it says up to 90% efficient (80plus gold) and most of these power supplies are modern and have most power concentrated on 12v so you should be fine.

one more thing: that power supply may not have a pci-e 6pin power connector. If your video card will require one you may need to buy a molex/sata to pci-e 6pin adapter cable ad hope the power supply has spare connectors.

ffs open the lid and look iside and see what power supply connectors are present and unused if you plan to buy card that requires extra power connector

1050Ti pulls all power from the slot

Grab a Corsair CX450M or EVGA 500W or 450B/500B. The value prop of lower-wattage PSUs (the good ones, anyway) is such that you're better off buying something with more juice to it unless you need a specific form factor and a low wattage is all you've got.

Dell OEM PSUs vary wildly in quality, and unless yours says "Delta" on the side, God only knows what you've got there. Could be anywhere from golden stock to a time bomb. A good rule of thumb when dealing with OEM power supplies is that in most circumstances, they're designed to power the system delivered. As in, the exact system delivered, not the system delivered plus a 75W GPU. Optiplex PSUs definitely fall under that umbrella.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

18 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

1050Ti pulls all power from the slot

There are models which have a 6pin pci-e connector... for example (quick search at local it store)

Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Dual OC 4GB GDDR5 128-bit
NE5105TS18G1D

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4GB DDR5 128-bit
GV-N105TWF2OC-4GD

PNY GeForce GTX 1050 Ti XLR8 OC 4GB DDR5 128-bit
KF105IGTXXG4GEPB, VCGGTX1050T4XGPB-OC

MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti GAMING X 4GB DDR5 128-bit
GTX 1050 Ti GAMING X 4G

ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 Ti STRIX GAMING 4GB DDR5 128-bit
STRIX-GTX1050TI-4G-GAMING

ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 Ti STRIX GAMING O4G 4GB DDR5 128-bit
STRIX-GTX1050TI-O4G-GAMING

i'll give you, there's 21 models that don't require extra connectors and only 6 that do.. 6 out of 27 is still enough to mentio it.

2 hours ago, notBoi said:

How about this dude?

Screenshot_13.jpg

Take the pic of the whole PSU

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128