Need a new headset/pair of headphones. Whatever you wanna call it.

lkarej
3 minutes ago, PeachesTheWalrus said:

What's wrong is that you clearly don't know what you're talking about and you're extremely closed minded. Being up front with things doesn't work if you're wrong and stubborn. Next time please don't be an asshole to random people online. All I was doing was trying to help this guy out and recommend these great headphones, no need to talk down on my suggestion 

I am the one that has no idea what I am talking about? Get real here, you said that the M50x's are the best headphones you have ever tried, all this tells me and any other audio guy is that they probably are your first headphones in the 100-200$ range. I

am in no way wrong about them, I even own a pair of M50's (check my profile or ask any of the "big" audio guys here, they will also say I own a pair, hell I can add a picture if you would like that), they are bad compared to other headphones in the same budget range.

sorry to bring you these news, but the M50x's are seen as a overhyped, overpriced product by a lot of people in the audio community.

You can go out and ask a lot of audio people and a lot of them will agree with me, actually most of them will. They offer a bad value, if they were 100$ maybe then we can talk about them being a decent to good value, but for the 140-150$ they normally go for there are simply better options.

The M40x's is seen by many as the better headphone, because the treble is better, plus they are cheaper....

You seem to take this very personal, it is just a suggestion that is getting shot down, not you as a person. So don't take it personal.

Why shouldn't I shoot something down that is bad for the price? You can get better for the price, so why not get the better gear? This is about finding the best gear for a person within a given budget.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

On 5/31/2017 at 1:47 AM, Dackzy said:

I am the one that has no idea what I am talking about? Get real here, you said that the M50x's are the best headphones you have ever tried, all this tells me and any other audio guy is that they probably are your first headphones in the 100-200$ range. I

am in no way wrong about them, I even own a pair of M50's (check my profile or ask any of the "big" audio guys here, they will also say I own a pair, hell I can add a picture if you would like that), they are bad compared to other headphones in the same budget range.

sorry to bring you these news, but the M50x's are seen as a overhyped, overpriced product by a lot of people in the audio community.

You can go out and ask a lot of audio people and a lot of them will agree with me, actually most of them will. They offer a bad value, if they were 100$ maybe then we can talk about them being a decent to good value, but for the 140-150$ they normally go for there are simply better options.

The M40x's is seen by many as the better headphone, because the treble is better, plus they are cheaper....

You seem to take this very personal, it is just a suggestion that is getting shot down, not you as a person. So don't take it personal.

Why shouldn't I shoot something down that is bad for the price? You can get better for the price, so why not get the better gear? This is about finding the best gear for a person within a given budget.

Are you actually trying to argue that my opinion is wrong, and what you think is just fact? You can get "better" for the price based on your opinion, it's impossible to call a certain pair of headphones better over the other because it all comes down to personal preference. This is a thread where someone has asked for a suggestion and for help on choosing a pair of headphones for a certain price. I have the M50x's and I personally love them and think they're fantastic, so I suggested them. 

You're noting how people prefer the m40x's because of some people liking the treble with them more than the m50x's, which again, is just personal preference. I love the bass and all around clarity of the m50x's, so I am recommending them.

Edited by W-L

21 hours ago, PeachesTheWalrus said:

Are you actually trying to argue that my opinion is wrong, and what you think is just fact? You can get "better" for the price based on your opinion, it's impossible to call a certain pair of headphones better over the other because it all comes down to personal preference. This is a thread where someone has asked for a suggestion and for help on choosing a pair of headphones for a certain price. I have the M50x's and I personally love them and think they're fantastic, so I suggested them. 

You're noting how people prefer the m40x's because of some people liking the treble with them more than the m50x's, which again, is just personal preference. I love the bass and all around clarity of the m50x's, so I am recommending them.

You can actually judge a headphone objectively from their sound quality, aka how well the produce the sounds.... Audio is opinionated in the sense of sound signature, not audio quality.

You say it is impossible to call a certain pair of headphones better over the other, because it all comes down to personal preference, which is just not true. If you think that then please tell me that a set of a given Razer headset is just as good as a pair of Sennheiser HD 600's. HD 600's cost what 250$, while a razer headset is what 80-100$. The Razer headset fucks up in basically every frequency, with spikes, distortion, drops and more, but by your logic they are equal. 

The actual audio quality is not subjective, with audio quality you go in and look at how well a given headphone reproduces a given frequency range, how many spikes are there out of the blue, how smooth is it, are there any big drops, do they distort at a given frequency and more.

Sound signature is, on the other hand very personal and subjective. You might like a V-shaped signature, while another person wants a U-shaped signature and a third person wants a very "neutral" signature, which is where you sometimes have to trade maybe a bit of audio quality to get the sound signature you like the most.

The problem with the M50/M50x's is that their actual audio quality isn't that great at all. The sub-bass is good, but then we have the mid-bass which is boosted and TBH not that well controlled, then we have this drop at around 300 Hz that just makes actual vocals more withdrawn and to some degree muddy sounding compared to other headphones. Ofc then we have the high mids and treble, which can easily make your ears hurt if you are just a bit sensitive to treble, I personally like a good amount of treble, but the high mids and treble in the M50x's is just poorly executed and has this harsh sound. We can then look over to the DT 770's, the sub bass extension is better, but also boosted a bit more,  the mids are better and cleaner and lastly, we have the treble which is not harsh at all even though it is boosted.

This is what OP said when I asked him for what kind of sound he wanted 

"I just want something that sounds even/has every range sounding pretty even." Are the M50x's even? Nope, not even close, if OP said he wanted a V-shaped signature then you have the DT 770's which offer higher audio quality for about the same price, same with Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus and they even offer you an option to adjust the bass via a bass port.

Just to be clear I don't have a problem with anyone that owns them, I even own them, but why recommend something when you can get headphones in the same budget that does basically everything better. Plus just recommending headphones without asking OP about what kind of sound signature he likes is not a good idea, this is after all about finding the best headphones for OP within a given budget, not just "I like these, therefore, I recommend them". I often recommend headphones I personally don't want to use, because I don't like their signature that much (DT 770, HD650), but I can still hear that they offer good audio quality for their price.

Edited by W-L

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.