Need a new headset/pair of headphones. Whatever you wanna call it.

lkarej

Title.

Mostly just listen to music and play games, RN I have a HyperX cloud which is aight but the plug is starting to go (like if you twist it the right way in the 3.5mm jack it'll generate static and one side of the headset will get quiet).

Want a standalone pair instead of a headset with a mic, I have a standalone mic already.

Preferably under 200 CAD.

Prefer Leather or the fake leather earcups.
Prefer silver/black, simple colors :^)

Thanks for any suggestions you can give, if you need any more info feel free to ask.

I make bad life decisions.

I would just straight up recommend Audio Technica's ath-m50x's. They're $199.99 on amazon.ca right now and they're what I use and they are widely recommended, like, everywhere lol. If you want some amazing headphones for an amazing price, get these. Hope I helped!

https://www.amazon.ca/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495946747&sr=8-1&keywords=ath-m50x

2 hours ago, PeachesTheWalrus said:

I would just straight up recommend Audio Technica's ath-m50x's. They're $199.99 on amazon.ca right now and they're what I use and they are widely recommended, like, everywhere lol. If you want some amazing headphones for an amazing price, get these. Hope I helped!

https://www.amazon.ca/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495946747&sr=8-1&keywords=ath-m50x

nope, not worth it at all. Mids are a bit muddy, treble is sharp AF, no soundstage and bad comfort. They are only recommended by people that don't know anything better.

OP do you have any sound preferences?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

12 hours ago, Dackzy said:

nope, not worth it at all. Mids are a bit muddy, treble is sharp AF, no soundstage and bad comfort. They are only recommended by people that don't know anything better.

OP do you have any sound preferences?

Not really, I just want something that sounds even/has every range sounding pretty even.
If you need a comparison to what I'm used to, right now I have HyperX Clouds that I've had for a couple years.
I do play a decent amount of shooters though, but also lots of other games so having a decent soundstage for me to hear things direction would be nice as well.

1 minute ago, lkarej said:

Not really, I just want something that sounds even/has every range sounding pretty even.
If you need a comparison to what I'm used to, right now I have HyperX Clouds that I've had for a couple years.
I do play a decent amount of shooters though, but also lots of other games so having a decent soundstage for me to hear things direction would be nice as well.

hmm a pair of K550MKII or K553 fits that pretty well, but I think they are above those 200 CAD

Do open headphones work for you?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Just now, Dackzy said:

hmm a pair of K550MKII or K553 fits that pretty well, but I think they are above those 200 CAD

Do open headphones work for you?

See the thing is I used to know the difference between open and closed a while back when I paid more attention to tech like 2 years ago.
I don't anymore.
So you'll have to tell me what that means.

Just now, lkarej said:

See the thing is I used to know the difference between open and closed a while back when I paid more attention to tech like 2 years ago.
I don't anymore.
So you'll have to tell me what that means.

open headphones leak sound in and out, while closed block sound from going in and out.

Only get open if you don't have a lot of noise around you.

Open often have less bass, but better soundstage.

what the fuck @Dackzy people use equalizers for a reason, don't be so abrasive, and don't tell me that I don't know any better because that's false and arrogant. out of the box they have a 'U' shaped EQ but the treble is fine and the mids are fine, albeit that is personal preference. They are noise cancelling and enclosed for a reason, soundstage would ruin that experience and some people don't like having any soundstage at all. Personally, these m50x's are killer. I use an eq on my home desktop and on my phone so I crank up the bass and lower the mids a tiny bit and they are amazing. 

My only con with these is that they do get pretty uncomfortable after a bit but you CAN buy different ear pads if you want to. The build quality is outstanding for the price and they come with 3 cables (Short w/ no coil, great for using with a phone. Medium length w/ coil, great for at home or in a studio. Then there's the long one without any coil which I'm using right now because my computer is a bit too far away and I'd rather not have the weight of the coil weigh down on the jack and the input if that makes sense.)

These are the best headphones I've used hands down and my only con is the comfort but that's only if you're using them for an extended period, like they're honestly fine either way and they don't really bother me now.

However it does all come down to personal preference with what you listen to when it comes to buying a pair of headphones. Although, once again, EQ's are a thing so it doesn't REALLY matter too much to most people if for example they got a pair with mids that a too high out of the box, they could just turn them down with an EQ, or turn the bass and treble up to compensate. 

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

open headphones leak sound in and out, while closed block sound from going in and out.

Only get open if you don't have a lot of noise around you.

Open often have less bass, but better soundstage.

My PC is in a semi-public room, so closed is probably the best option.

5 minutes ago, PeachesTheWalrus said:

what the fuck @Dackzy people use equalizers for a reason, don't be so abrasive, and don't tell me that I don't know any better because that's false and arrogant. out of the box they have a 'U' shaped EQ but the treble is fine and the mids are fine, albeit that is personal preference. They are noise cancelling and enclosed for a reason, soundstage would ruin that experience and some people don't like having any soundstage at all. Personally, these m50x's are killer. I use an eq on my home desktop and on my phone so I crank up the bass and lower the mids a tiny bit and they are amazing. 

My only con with these is that they do get pretty uncomfortable after a bit but you CAN buy different ear pads if you want to. The build quality is outstanding for the price and they come with 3 cables (Short w/ no coil, great for using with a phone. Medium length w/ coil, great for at home or in a studio. Then there's the long one without any coil which I'm using right now because my computer is a bit too far away and I'd rather not have the weight of the coil weigh down on the jack and the input if that makes sense.)

These are the best headphones I've used hands down and my only con is the comfort but that's only if you're using them for an extended period, like they're honestly fine either way and they don't really bother me now.

However it does all come down to personal preference with what you listen to when it comes to buying a pair of headphones. Although, once again, EQ's are a thing so it doesn't REALLY matter too much to most people if for example they got a pair with mids that a too high out of the box, they could just turn them down with an EQ, or turn the bass and treble up to compensate. 

Well I came to the audio forum knowing this would happen. Didn't take that long lmao

If you can put a little more into the headphones, I think you'll find the beyerdynamic dt 770 pro's are well worth it. Have heard they are better sounding than the ATH M50x, but I do not own the audiotechnica cans. The dt 770's however feel great, have velour earcups (can be replaced for leather if you buy them) and do not get uncomfortable even after long listening periods. One possible con is that the cable is super long, so if you want to walk around with them you will end up with a rats nest in your pocket.

Going for 235 CAD right now.

https://www.amazon.ca/beyerdynamic-Ohms-Closed-Reference-Monitoring-Applications/dp/B0016MNAAI

EDIT:

Source for feeling great, I own them.

9 hours ago, PeachesTheWalrus said:

what the fuck @Dackzy people use equalizers for a reason, don't be so abrasive. out of the box they have a 'U' shaped EQ but the treble is fine and the mids are fine, albeit that is personal preference. They are noise cancelling and enclosed for a reason, soundstage would ruin that experience and some people don't like having any soundstage at all. Personally, these m50x's are killer. I use an eq on my home desktop and on my phone so I crank up the bass and lower the mids a tiny bit and they are amazing. 

kek, abrasive. What is wrong? Can't handle the truth? Can't handle that I talk down on something you own? Might as well be upfront with things, instead of misleading.

Sure you can buy different earpads, but that will just make the treble even sharper, you need that foam to just control the treble a bit.

You mean U-shaped sound signature and no they are V-shaped.

You can get headphones in the same budget that offer better audio quality with the same signature. Also the only use the M50x's would see in a studio would be inside the booth and there the only thing that matters is that they isolate well and that the singer can hear the beat.

2 minutes ago, Littlelaner said:

If you can put a little more into the headphones, I think you'll find the beyerdynamic dt 770 pro's are well worth it. Have heard they are better sounding than the ATH M50x, but I do not own the audiotechnica cans. The dt 770's however feel great, have velour earcups (can be replaced for leather if you buy them) and do not get uncomfortable even after long listening periods. One possible con is that the cable is super long, so if you want to walk around with them you will end up with a rats nest in your pocket.

Going for 235 CAD right now.

https://www.amazon.ca/beyerdynamic-Ohms-Closed-Reference-Monitoring-Applications/dp/B0016MNAAI

Nah I'd be using them at my desk pretty much exclusively.
I have some lil sennheiser earbuds for if I'm going out.

I'll give em a look, but I'd need to get different earcups. I don't like the fuzzy ones :^)

Just now, lkarej said:

Nah I'd be using them at my desk pretty much exclusively.
I have some lil sennheiser earbuds for if I'm going out.

If you could pay a little more, these headphones are really great and have really good reviews everywhere.

Just now, Littlelaner said:

If you could pay a little more, these headphones are really great and have really good reviews everywhere.

Yeah I'll check em out, I'd just need to grab some diff ear cups

22 minutes ago, lkarej said:

My PC is in a semi-public room, so closed is probably the best option.

Well I came to the audio forum knowing this would happen. Didn't take that long lmao

eh rarely happens.

Hmm a pair of DT770 isn't a bad option at all, nice deep bass, good sounstage and good comfort. A cheaper option would be some sony MDR V6, they have a bit more bass than the 7506's, but has a well-balanced sound, same with Status Audio CB-1. The M40x's are also a okay option, they have a soundstage and the treble is a lot better controlled than the treble in the M50x's, but they do have a bit less bass. 

5 hours ago, Dackzy said:

eh rarely happens.

Hmm a pair of DT770 isn't a bad option at all, nice deep bass, good sounstage and good comfort. A cheaper option would be some sony MDR V6, they have a bit more bass than the 7506's, but has a well-balanced sound, same with Status Audio CB-1. The M40x's are also a okay option, they have a soundstage and the treble is a lot better controlled than the treble in the M50x's, but they do have a bit less bass. 

My pc is in the kitchen.

So uh, closed back

24 minutes ago, lkarej said:

My pc is in the kitchen.

So uh, closed back

I've personally enjoyed the Logitech g633/933 Artemis series of headphones for whatever that's worth, with the wired ones being $149USD, and they have the built in mic if you use that. The noise cancellation on the mic is alright too. Id say the build quality on them is solid, however they don't have leather/fake leather ear cups, more of a soft fabric but they're still comfortable to wear during longer gaming sessions, and they support mixing from multiple audio sources.

Edit, the wired ones are on sale on Logitech's website for $99USD

Edited by MysticalRainXIV

Main Rig:

| 13900K@6.1/4.7 w/TVB | Corsair h150i Elite LCD | Sapphire NITRO SE+ 6900XT@2710MHz | ASUS Z790 Strix-E | Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum 2x16GB@6200MT/s | Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO |

My Folding Stats

4 hours ago, lkarej said:

My pc is in the kitchen.

So uh, closed back

yeah all of the headphones I listed are closed back and all of them offer a good value for their price. They all have either a balanced signature or a slight V signature

14 hours ago, Dackzy said:

yeah all of the headphones I listed are closed back and all of them offer a good value for their price. They all have either a balanced signature or a slight V signature

Yeah I'll take a look, I don't mind spending above the budget I listed, really it was more of a guideline than anything.
Although idk if it makes a difference but I don't have a DAC and/or Amp. I just use the passthrough on my blue yeti to hook my cans to my pc

5 minutes ago, lkarej said:

Yeah I'll take a look, I don't mind spending above the budget I listed, really it was more of a guideline than anything.
Although idk if it makes a difference but I don't have a DAC and/or Amp. I just use the passthrough on my blue yeti to hook my cans to my pc

I really recommend trying a lot of different headphones out, go to an audio store and just try everything, that way you can find the perfect headphone for you.

I would say if you can swing it then the K553/K550MKII's are worth it, the sound quality is great and they are also good on the technical side (not that really matters), but the risk of you not liking them is there.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I really recommend trying a lot of different headphones out, go to an audio store and just try everything, that way you can find the perfect headphone for you.

I would say if you can swing it then the K553/K550MKII's are worth it, the sound quality is great and they are also good on the technical side (not that really matters), but the risk of you not liking them is there.

The K553's might be a solid choice, they're not nearly as expensive as the k550mk2s.
I'll do a bit of research

Just now, lkarej said:

The K553's might be a solid choice, they're not nearly as expensive as the k550mk2s.
I'll do a bit of research

kek those two headphones are the same :D K550MKII is just the EU version or some BS like that

Just now, Dackzy said:

kek those two headphones are the same :D K550MKII is just the EU version or some BS like that

Oh I see 
Funny on amazon us they're 210 CAD and on amazon Canada they're 300.
Funny how that works

Just now, lkarej said:

Oh I see 
Funny on amazon us they're 210 CAD and on amazon Canada they're 300.
Funny how that works

well import and such :D 

On 5/28/2017 at 1:37 PM, Dackzy said:

kek, abrasive. What is wrong? Can't handle the truth? Can't handle that I talk down on something you own? Might as well be upfront with things, instead of misleading.

Sure you can buy different earpads, but that will just make the treble even sharper, you need that foam to just control the treble a bit.

You mean U-shaped sound signature and no they are V-shaped.

You can get headphones in the same budget that offer better audio quality with the same signature. Also the only use the M50x's would see in a studio would be inside the booth and there the only thing that matters is that they isolate well and that the singer can hear the beat.

What's wrong is that you clearly don't know what you're talking about and you're extremely closed minded. Being up front with things doesn't work if you're wrong and stubborn. Next time please don't be an asshole to random people online. All I was doing was trying to help this guy out and recommend these great headphones, no need to talk down on my suggestion