Is 120hz and 2ms response time worth it ?

AidenNeill

People with hands on experience only reply please. Only want backed up opinions to help me decide :)

Depends, are you more into fast paced games, like Counter Strike or more into how gorgeous a game is?

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

120Hz is personal preference, most people like having more images per second.

2ms? Nah. You wouldn't notice the difference between it and 5ms.

No.

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

Well, everyone has different eyes... While YOU may notice the difference, some people might not see anything different and tell you that it's not worth it. Try to find a 120Hz monitor to try out at a local computer store.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

no. not even at a professional level will 2ms repsonse make an actual difference. 120hz only worth it really if u can push ur game to about 120 fps constantly. id say an IPS is much more worth it due to its beutiful presentaion of coulrs. 

What kind of games do you play and what are your specs?

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

120hz is worth it if you have the power to drive 120fps.

Also 2ms means very little, they all measure that figure differently, so its kinda meaning less, as long as its not too high like 20+ its perfectly fine.

What you want to look out for is INPUT LAG, that can cause many issues.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

120hz only worth it really if u can push ur game to about 120 fps constantly.

That's a misconception. With 120Hz, lagged and torn frames will be much less noticeable because they are only displayed for 8.3 ms (compared 60Hz/16.6 ms).

It's the same reason why G-Sync is so "revolutionary," but this solution will cost $140 less.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

That's a misconception. With 120Hz, lagged and torn frames will be much less noticeable because they are only displayed for 8.3 ms (compared 60Hz/16.6 ms).

It's the same reason why G-Sync is so "revolutionary," but this solution will cost $140 less.

lagged frames? wtf

that is true but to be honest thats feature alone isnt worth the premium price. to truly take advantage of a 120hz monitor displaying a higher FPS is needed. id say its a waste to buy a 120Hz monitor if your not gonna push it. 

I'm waiting for the day when you can have 120Hz and 0ms input lag similar to a CRT display.

Im pretty sure CRT had lag... didint the gun have to fire at the phosphorus behind the glass in rows... and they where only like 20hz vs 60/120 :P

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

lagged frames? wtf

that is true but to be honest thats feature alone isnt worth the premium price. to truly take advantage of a 120hz monitor displaying a higher FPS is needed. id say its a waste to buy a 120Hz monitor if your not gonna push it. 

Fair enough. It is true that 120 fps can only be seen with 120Hz, and personal opinion definitely plays a huge roll in determining the value of monitors.

I'm assuming G-Sync won't be worth the extra ~$350 to you? I digress. This thread isn't really about G-Sync.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

i love my 144hz monitor. if i'm going to buy another monitor again, i'll only get on that's atleast 120hz. the smoothness is amazing. i'd only consider 60hz if talking about 4K resolution.

My System:

CPU: i7 4790k @ stock GPU: EVGA GTX 780 FTW MB: ASUS Z97-PRO (Wi-Fi ac) RAM: CORSAIR Dominator 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2133 CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i SSD: 2 256 GB Samsung 840 Pros in RAID-0 HDD: Western Digital 500 GB Black, Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache PSU: Cooler Master V850 80 Plus Gold Case: Fractal Define R4

Fair enough. It is true that 120 fps can only be seen with 120Hz, and personal opinion definitely plays a huge roll in determining the value of monitors.

I'm assuming G-Sync won't be worth the extra ~$350 to you? I digress. This thread isn't really about G-Sync.

oh yea if G-sync is gonna cost that much i wouldnt buy it. would proasbly buy one of those Korean 1440p IPS displays is the most id probably pay for a monitor in the near future.

Just want to say, that response time is a B.S figures.

You need to look at in depth monitor reviews to know the real response time. They are no standards in measuring response time, every manufacture have their techniques, and sometimes it even changes between models series (gaming, professional, and budget, for example). The simply marking of "gray-to-gray" is enough to make this figure meaningless, as the first question you ask is: "But which gray to which gray? If its the same gray, then we have what? 0ms?")

I explain it a bit more here, and showing examples on how this figures is just stupid:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/29257-how-noticable-is-response-time/?p=372554

You want a fast monitor? Check in depth monitor reviews? Can't find review of a monitor you want? It means that the manufacture refused to send it to reviewers... in other words... they are hiding something... so don't buy.

The only high refresh rate monitor I'ld concider these days is the BenQ 144Hz panel.

I had a go at it the other day and in comparison to the variety of other 120Hz monitors I've owned the colour reproduction is stunning

yeah i know the one that linus recently unboxed which is the XL2420TE i think is the 144hz one and he also said the colours are amazing in comparison to previous panels but its not on sale in the uk :(

lagged frames? wtf

ill be running a superclocked evga gtx 780 ?

i love my 144hz monitor. if i'm going to buy another monitor again, i'll only get on that's atleast 120hz. the smoothness is amazing. i'd only consider 60hz if talking about 4K resolution.

see from this comment it make me go back and forth on what to get because i want nice silky smooth game play... but if the colours are washed out like really bad then it will annoy me. Its not as if i can go and see the monitor for myself because i cant find a shop relatively local that has it kind of thing and not even one at all that has it even not local :S i dont know what to do haha anyone recommend a nice ips panel thats above HD like not 4k but higher res than standard high def

For FPS games like Battlefield, etc: yes.

Other games: mmh, not really worth the money.

No. 

Unless you really want to stare at a slightly smoother cursor.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Im pretty sure CRT had lag... didint the gun have to fire at the phosphorus behind the glass in rows... and they where only like 20hz vs 60/120 :P

There was no input lag because ti was analog and the electron gun fires at the speed of light but yea you do have to wait for the display to refresh the scan but all displays need to do that.

CRT could refresh between 60 to 240Hz, depending on the resolution and how good the monitor was.

The only effect you had, in terms of performance, was white to black response time. Where a pixel is illuminated to white (brightest color) to black (no color output).

High grade and thick layer of phosphor reduced (even eliminated with a fast refresh rate) any flickering, but reduce the response time between a color to bitch black, as it retained light longer. Crappier phosphore was retaining no light, was a flickering mess, even at higher refresh rates. but had better performance on that aspect.

So ideally was to purchase a CRT with a good balance. One that retained light well, with a nice layer of high quality phosphor, but not to well where this response time to black would be an issue, and as for the increase flickering, could be compensated with a rate of 85Hz-120Hz or more if you had the money for.