How noticable is response time.

Diljot

I currently use a 2ms response 60hz 1080p monitor. considering how expensive 4k still is even the asus monitor linus went over at computex is like $3800 and has a 8ms response time. So i was thinking of upgrading to  a Samsung's Series 9 SB970 (linus's fav monitor) it has 2560X1440 res but a 5ms response time, how noticeable would these differnces in response time be? also im using a Asus VS247H-P. And im also concerned about input lag too. And im also intressted in your guys opinion if a single high res monitor is better or triple 1080p monitors...

Desktop:  Cpu:                     3570K @ 4.2Ghz                    Graphics:          Windforce GTX 970             PSU: 1000 Watt EVGA             

Motherboard:       MSI GD55 Z77                        SSD:                 120gb patriot pyro se          KB:    K70 RGB                                     

Ram:                    8gb 2133MHz G skill               HDD:                 4 Tb                                    Mouse: M65 RGB                                                  

In my experience a response time difference like that is noticeable, but its not the difference between usable and unusable for gaming. As for monitor setups I prefer multiple monitors rather than a single hi-res monitor

i7 930 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte X58A-UD7 | Seagate ST2000DX001 SSHD 2TB | WD5000AAKX 500GB | Samsung SH-B083A Bluray Drive | Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB GV-N670OC-2GD | Corsair 12GB 1600Mhz CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 | Corsair H50 in Push Pull | SeaSonic X750 | CM 690 II Advanced | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | HP 2159M 1080p | Asus ProArt PA238Q 23" 1080p IPS Monitor | Asus VS239H IPS 1080p (Portrait) | Razer BlackWidow Expert MX Blue (2011) | Razer Lachesis 5600

Response time is B.S value, and they tell you. You will see that they refer in the fine prints, or next to "response time", g-t-g, or "g-to-g". This means gray-to-gray. In other words, every company has it's own way to measure response time (like the actual process). Moreover, as the fine print says, the response time is the time the monitor panel takes from changing a color to another... in this case, gray to gray. But which gray? That's exactly it... nothing says that it can't even be the same gray color (see 1ms).

TFTCentral, an in depth monitor site, shows this, and you can see it from any of their monitor review. For the sake of example, I am showing a bit of 2 extremes to show the impact more visible. The first one, the Dell U2410, is a super fast IPS monitor, quite impressive, possible one of the fastest. It was a 750$ monitor. The other one is a BenQ is a somewhat early 120Hz monitor, so TN, which what it looks like a 60Hz monitor overclocked, and not a true 120Hz.

So, lets compare:

-> Dell U2410 - true 8-bit IPS panels, 6ms response time, 1920x1200. Note: the more pixels rows the monitor has, the slower the response time, as the LCD monitor refreshes from the top to the bottom, row by row. Hence why you have tearing in a fact action scene or game if V-Sync is off. Just something to keep in mind.

dell_u2410.jpg

-> BenQ XL2410t - 120Hz TN panels, 1ms response time, 1920x1080. So this monitor has everything on its side to be fast.

benq_xl2410t_120_ama_on.jpg

Well.. someone is lying quite a bit... I think you can see who...

And for kicks, here is a third example, ViewSonic VX2739WM, TN panel 1920x1080, 60Hz, 2ms response time.

viewsonic_vx2739wm.jpg

Not very 2ms to me, compared to the 6ms from Dell.

So, it is important to read in depth review to get the real response time of the monitor.

Thanks for the info GoodByte, This seriously makes me question about my VG236H

Install Gentoo GNU/Linux | "You have been placed on moderator queue. This means that all content you submit will need to be approved by a moderator before it will be shown." | top LEL

Build specs: Corsair 540, i7 2600K @ 4.2Ghz, Asrock z77 extreme4, 16gb DDR3 @1866, 2 x 1TB, GTX 560 ti
Monitors: Asus VG236H, Dell U2713HM Headphones: Koss PortaPro, DT 770 80ohm, AT-AD700 | Steam profile