How to jump a psu?

triagonal_mouse
Go to solution Solved by Windows7ge,
6 minutes ago, triagonal_mouse said:

Is it the same for all 24 pin conenctors? The 24 pin connector is black so i cant tell which pin is which

When all the wire are black my rule of thumb is hold the cable upside down so you're looking at the pin holes.

make sure the latching clip is on the right side (orient the connector so the clip is on the right)

On the right row of 12 count down 3. Short the 3rd pin to the 4th. That's the green wire to its immediate closest GND wire.

Is it the same for all 24 pin conenctors? The 24 pin connector is black so i cant tell which pin is which

1 minute ago, triagonal_mouse said:

I have a m12ii evo bronze 620w and im not sure how to jump it to see if its working

You need to locate a green cable and a ground pin next to it (pins 15 and 16 in the following diagram):

Spoiler

atx24-pinout-jpg.197622

You can use a bent clip or similar, and once it is in place, plug it in and switch it on. Make sure to connect something as well so as to draw some power (like a fan with a molex connector), or you'll trigger the undercurrent protections (you would typically hear a clicking sound, switch the psu back of in that case).

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

You need to locate a green cable and a ground pin next to it (pins 15 and 16 in the following diagram):

Reveal hidden contents

atx24-pinout-jpg.197622

You can use a bent clip or similar, and once it is in place, plug it in and switch it on. Make sure to connect something as well so as to draw some power (like a fan with a molex connector), or you'll trigger the undercurrent protections (you would typically hear a clicking sound, switch the psu back of in that case).

So basically, even though its black the whole thing, there would still be a green cable?

6 minutes ago, triagonal_mouse said:

When all the wire are black my rule of thumb is hold the cable upside down so you're looking at the pin holes.

make sure the latching clip is on the right side (orient the connector so the clip is on the right)

On the right row of 12 count down 3. Short the 3rd pin to the 4th. That's the green wire to its immediate closest GND wire.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

On the right row of 12 count down 3. Short the 3rd pin to the 4th. That's the green wire to it's immediate closest GND wire.

alright thanks for letting me know

2 minutes ago, triagonal_mouse said:

Yes, the pins are in the same position for all PSUs, otherwise they couldn't all of them be compatible with all motherboards ;) 

Just now, triagonal_mouse said:

So basically, even though its black the whole thing, there would still be a green cable?

Yes, unless the sleeving goes all the way to the connector. But even in that case: what counts is the pin number. If you have no visible colors, go by the diagram (notice the notch to orientate the connector accordingly) and short pins 15 and 16 in the 24-pin motherboard connector.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

10 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Yes, unless the sleeving goes all the way to the connector. But even in that case: what counts is the pin number. If you have no visible colors, go by the diagram (notice the notch to orientate the connector accordingly) and short pins 15 and 16 in the 24-pin motherboard connector.

Like everything new.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

14 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Yes, the pins are in the same position for all PSUs, otherwise they couldn't all of them be compatible with all motherboards ;) 

I would like to make mention that Dell and some other pre-built PC manufactures will have some customization with power supply wiring, I know this because I was using a Dell power supply for a CB home bench (put a 4 pin molex on a CB and plugged it in) and they had the grey wire swapped with the green wire so instead of using the green to short to black I had ti use grey.

19 minutes ago, InuYasha86000 said:

I would like to make mention that Dell and some other pre-built PC manufactures will have some customization with power supply wiring, I know this because I was using a Dell power supply for a CB home bench (put a 4 pin molex on a CB and plugged it in) and they had the grey wire swapped with the green wire so instead of using the green to short to black I had ti use grey.

Yes, once you move to the OEM proprietary stuff, anything is possible :P 
What I said applies to parts for custom builds, where you may pair arbitrary PSUs with arbitrary mobos.