Socket pins bent

Guys as you can see that my 3-4 pins are bent but the pc is working without any problems should i tinker with it. Send it to RMA? Or keep using my 6700k(risk)? Pls i want your experiences with this problem! Pls help i am really in critical situation. Its an gigabyte mobo.

20170526_082045.jpg

20170526_082038.jpg

20170526_081105.jpg

RMA it if you can. If you can't then keep using it and don't mess with the pins, as trying to bend them back will probs make it worse. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

But is there any risk in using cpu in this condition? Frying it etc.?

Do you think gigabyte can provide replacement for this situation?

2 minutes ago, Harshil1996 said:

Do you think gigabyte can provide replacement for this situation?

Always try it and say it was like that upon arrival if you can. If you bent them its your fault but if its a recent purchase then you can claim it was like that upon arrival.

I am going to get it RMAed even it if is still working but cannot risk a CPU.  The retailer had tell me not to worry as they will provide a new board of same model if available or a higher version if not. Lets see what happens.

17 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

This is why LGA is a bad idea... You can easily fix CPU pins but socket pins nope (or not easily and at high risk). RMA if you can.

But CPU pins are easier to bend because they stick straight out, and CPU's usually cost more to replace. I hate PGA. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

But CPU pins are easier to bend because they stick straight out,

Not really, I've never bent a pin on a PGA chip.

and CPU's usually cost more to replace

Not an issue, as they are easily fixable.

I hate PGA. 

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it, but your reasoning is irrational.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Bent pins won't damage your CPU if fixed.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

I am trying to get RMA from gigabyte hope it works out well.

7 hours ago, asand1 said:

Not really, I've never bent a pin on a PGA chip.

7 hours ago, asand1 said:

Not an issue, as they are easily fixable.

Lol, you see the flaw here?  How do you know what it's like to fix them if you've never bent one?

The problem is it's easier for them to actually snap off.  One pin broken and your CPU is trash.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Hey guys do you think that i should use repaired mobo from gigabyte in case they repair it? Does any harm to the cpu gets cover by intel eg. Frying it. Or so?

If you can RMA it, just send it back. If you can't RMA and the computer works as it should at rated speeds then don't mess with it. If you can't send it back and the computer doesn't work, well, then it won't hurt to mess with it trying to straighten the pins.

CASE: Thermaltake Armor Plus

MOBO: EVGA X79 FTW

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 CPU

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080

RAM: Corsair Vengance DDR3 16GB

SSD: Samsung 850 PRO

HDD: VelociRaptor 300GB

Cooling: Kraken X60

14 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Lol, you see the flaw here?  How do you know what it's like to fix them if you've never bent one?

The problem is it's easier for them to actually snap off.  One pin broken and your CPU is trash.

I have received them bent, and fixed them. Yes they can be bent, but if you are not careless its also easy to avoid bending them. How many pins have you broken or bent so severely you couldn't fix them? I have never personally bent an LGA Pin, but I have seen the results in person and online.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Pc is working well but why risk it. Gigabyte is telling to repair / replace it. So i should try and see what i get. I will post soon after this RMA is done. I honestly told them i broke the pins during removing cpu and they replied bring it to service centre we will do it! Wish me luck. 

Hello everyone here i am with good news. Gigabyte did my RMA successfully my board is as good as new they fix every problem in it and also told me that my warranty wont be voided and will be continued as it was. They replaced the socket with new one, free of cost. Really loved gigabyte's service. And all this in just 2 days i also thanked my retailer as i didnt have to pay any shipping charges too.  I honestly told them i broke the pins so they accepted it gladly. Very happy now.

I had this issue on my H81M-E33, just take a needle and bend the pins back into their correct place, easy peasy, and if you damage it further just RMA it, if not, it works!

JUST FOR HEAVENS SAKE DONT USE IT IN THAT CONDITION. Those pins supply power to the CPU (The bent ones) and the lack of correct voltage and current can damage your CPU or corrupt your cache, also damaging the cpu.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular

19 minutes ago, Harshil1996 said:

Hello everyone here i am with good news. Gigabyte did my RMA successfully my board is as good as new they fix every problem in it and also told me that my warranty wont be voided and will be continued as it was. They replaced the socket with new one, free of cost. Really loved gigabyte's service. And all this in just 2 days i also thanked my retailer as i didnt have to pay any shipping charges too.  I honestly told them i broke the pins so they accepted it gladly. Very happy now.

I just read this, wonderful!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular

44 minutes ago, He_162 said:

I had this issue on my H81M-E33, just take a needle and bend the pins back into their correct place, easy peasy, and if you damage it further just RMA it, if not, it works!

JUST FOR HEAVENS SAKE DONT USE IT IN THAT CONDITION. Those pins supply power to the CPU (The bent ones) and the lack of correct voltage and current can damage your CPU or corrupt your cache, also damaging the cpu.

Does that affect your future performance in any ways?(rebending pins to original location) I mean it cannot be as same as it was but doing that did you notice any problems or the system was as good as it was before?

45 minutes ago, Harshil1996 said:

Does that affect your future performance in any ways?(rebending pins to original location) I mean it cannot be as same as it was but doing that did you notice any problems or the system was as good as it was before?

If you bend them back into original position, and they are not touching other pins, and bend down normally when the CPU is installed, it will run like it did when it was brand new out of the box, however, the chance of cracking these, or them not being able to be bent into the original position is high, and you'll rarely be able to get them to contact the board or CPU properly after the incident, especially on older boards, but on Haswell or newer architectures, it's rather easy to bend them into place, and they work as intended with no faults or side effects.

On 5/26/2017 at 3:52 PM, tom_w141 said:

This is why LGA is a bad idea... You can easily fix CPU pins but socket pins nope (or not easily and at high risk). RMA if you can.

true, but the other way of looking at it is that your motherboard is always cheaper than your cpu 

On 5/28/2017 at 1:47 AM, asand1 said:

I have received them bent, and fixed them. Yes they can be bent, but if you are not careless its also easy to avoid bending them. How many pins have you broken or bent so severely you couldn't fix them? I have never personally bent an LGA Pin, but I have seen the results in person and online.

Just once.

Fixing LGA pins is pretty easy, and bending them is quite difficult because they don't stick straight out.  If they stuck out like with PGA, I could definitely see your point (although I'd still rather have them at risk on the cheaper item).  But they don't stick out.

PS: I know that motherboards can cost more.  They just usually don't, unless you're going RGB or buying a Pentium.

3 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Fixing LGA pins is pretty easy

Lol no its not.

The primary reason Intel even switched was to take the responsibility for RMA away from themselves because they are lazy and greedy. There is nothing wrong with PGA. If I had to fix a PGA or LGA I'd pick PGA every day.