How fast is the LTT member's internet connection?

zephiK

How fast is it?  

3,701 members have voted

1. 1. To which continent are you from?

2. 2. How is your internet connection delivered to your home?

• DSL
    • Cable
    • Fiber to the (x) or FTT(x)
    • Mobile broadband (HSPA+, LTE, WiMax, EDGE, EV-DO, CDMA, etc)
    • Satellite Internet
    • Dial-up
    • Power line internet/broadband over powerline
    • Some other method (specify in the comments)
    • government subsidized municipal/town wifi
  3. 3. How much do you pay for your home internet (in US dollars)

4. 4. How fast is your connection (download speed in megabits per second)?

5. 5. Do you at least get ≥80% service reliability from your current ISP?

6. 6. Is your current home internet limited by a data cap?

• It's unlimited data baby!
    • Yup, my internet is unfortunately capped
  7. 7. Will you stay with your current ISP?

• Yes at the moment until someone offers something better
    • Yes, I'm a loyal customer
    • Yes because I have no choice
    • No, I'm switching soon
    • No, I'm switching later (specify why in the comments)

4508132206.png

47.5 out of 50.. not bad.. TOO BAD I CANT EVER DOWLOAD FASTER THAN 5Mb/s :( ...................................... F YOU SHAW

5 Mbits/s or 5 MBytes/s? I max out at 5 MB/s with Bell.

5 Mbits/s or 5 MBytes/s? I max out at 5 MB/s with Bell.

MB* typing in caps on a mobile phone so I gotta HIT SHIfT EVERY LETTER <--- note the lower case f lol

23down, 2up, 26ping.

i really wish my upload was better :(

Rig

Spoiler

CPU: 4770k @ 4.2GHz 1.15v | Mobo: ASUS z87 Sabertooth | Cooler: Corsair H110 | RAM: Vengeance 32GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz | GPU: GIGABYTE G1 GTX 1070 | Storage: Samsung 840 series 250GB SSD, Seagate 2TB SSHD, Seagate 4.25TB HDD | PSU: Corsair AX850 80+ gold modu | Case: Corsair 650d | Keyboard: Corsair K65 RGB Cherry MX Reds & a Leopold 210TP Numberpad Cherry MX Blues | Mouse: Logitech G502, DECHANIC desk mat | Monitor: 2x Dell IPS 23" S2340m & ASUS 144hz 24" VG248QE | Speakers: CA-3602a | Headset: Steelseries Syberia v2 Frost Blue OS: Win 10 Pro 

1384402290.png

Comcast 100M

Practically no speed lost over 5Ghz WiFi to my Samsung Galaxy S4.

4537860524.png

Work Connection (Bottleneck by 1GbE port)

Fuck y'all with your bad ass internetz.. So jealous.. So jealous.. Maybe I should just quit gaming..

4508132206.png

47.5 out of 50.. not bad.. TOO BAD I CANT EVER DOWLOAD FASTER THAN 5Mb/s :( ...................................... F YOU SHAW

Do you understand the difference between MB/s and Mb/s?

And even if he means 5 MB/s, that is too slow. I also get 47 Mbit, and that results in 5.8 MB/s.

5 MB/s is still within reason fora  47 Mbit connection. You don't expect to get the exact speed you see in a speedtest when downloading stuff.

Do you understand the difference between MB/s and Mb/s?

Umm I replied to that lonnng ago.. I meant MB, I'm on a cell so its rough typing some times

Umm I replied to that lonnng ago.. I meant MB, I'm on a cell so its rough typing some times

Legit I'm seriously wondering where my post went.. Like dafuq? #confusion

Oh here it is like 4 pages back..

MB* typing in caps on a mobile phone so I gotta HIT SHIfT EVERY LETTER <--- note the lower case f lol

And even if he means 5 MB/s, that is too slow. I also get 47 Mbit, and that results in 5.8 MB/s.

There're tons of factors that come into play when talking about internet speed and many ISPs have different implementations of how connections speeds are limited. 

There are typically 2 initial methods for an ISP limiting the speed of a connection. The speed can be limited at the connection level, ie: modem/ONT/Radio trains, or connects up at the speed one is paying for. Or speed can also be limited by an authentication server. ie: the modem/ONT/Radio trains/connects at it's maximum possible speed, and then the connection goes through an authentication process where an authentication server uses a username or password provided by the modem (using something like PPPoA), or the mac address of the modem to determine what speed the connection should be at and then soft-caps the speed for whatever profile there is for a given circuit.

The first method listed above will usually result in speed reduction by the connection overhead and a speedtest will never show the speed your paying for. Depending on the type of connection the overhead could be anywhere from >1% to as high as 30% in some cases. For DSL in particular, it's commonplace for there to be 20-30% overhead. The second method may still have some degree of overhead, but, in most cases, it's almost none, at which point you will see little or no degradation in speed tests. 

In addition to an ISP capping your internet connection, there are other factors that come into play, the most prominent being background downloading/uploading on devices on your home network. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone call me because a speedtest shows far less than what they're paying for, and it's because their kid left a torrent running on their computer, or they downloaded google drive and it's trying to sync their 4GB of family photos, or more recently, the 3GB Windows 10 download which started being pushed out yesterday/day before. Also, another person on the same internet connection watching netflix, hulu, or other streaming service will screw things up.

Source: I work as a tech agent for a call center which takes residential and business calls for several small and medium sized ISPs with internet services including Sattelite, WiMax, Dialup, DSL, Cable, Fiber, with speeds ranging from 56k dialup all the way up to Gigabit Fiber on the residential side of things.

4545485417.png

$110 a month btw

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

So i finally decided to upload my beast internet speeds!

vroom

4508226686.png

-snip-

Share with me please.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

So I just saw the WAN Show from yesterday and thought i can compete with latency and download but not with Upload  :lol:

4548899668.png

Stop complainting! This is what I´m getting for 85€ on the #1 ISP on my country:

post-203303-0-84864100-1438439979.jpg

Note to self: get the hell away of portugal as soon as possible.

On mobile data-LTE(preferred), WCDMA. On my Z3 Compact. Telenor BG(aka GLOBUL)

post-156589-0-39061900-1438950032_thumb.

post-156589-0-39061900-1438950032_thumb.

Bulgarian, WoT nick- ivelinv8, War Thunder- BEST_NOOB_BG, GAMING PC: FX-4170; R9 280X TOXIC; 16 GB RAM; Fortron Raider 750W; Raidmax Helios case; WD Green 1TB. 50Mb/s + 50% bonus

Internet today since it's being good to me.

4564399377.png

And hotspot I was on for 3 days while my internet was down from a hailstorm, largest hail in years, coming in at 4.25"... It's a world record in Michigan I believe, also no longer have two skylights cause of it.

4556660423.png

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.