Vertical lines and grey hazing on screen

79wjd

After about seven years of use my 2007 MBP started to display a vertical line -- the line only appears in the one area (see picture below), but sometimes there's a second/third line right next to it of a different color. The lines come and go as I move the screen but there is no predictable pattern. Also, if I press on the screen (lightly) then there is also a grey hazing (which goes away as soon as I remove pressure). Obviously the screen is bad, but I was wondering what causes the lines to come and go, why they're different colors, and why a bit of pressure causes a grey hazing (sometimes that takes up the whole screen and others just part of it). 

5kuh5KP.png

@Glenwing

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I think it's likely because of the screen being broken, the refresh rate has f****d up..

9 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

After about seven years of use my 2007 MBP started to display a vertical line -- the line only appears in the one area (see picture below), but sometimes there's a second/third line right next to it of a different color. The lines come and go as I move the screen but there is no predictable pattern. Also, if I press on the screen (lightly) then there is also a grey hazing (which goes away as soon as I remove pressure). Obviously the screen is bad, but I was wondering what causes the lines to come and go, why they're different colors, and why a bit of pressure causes a grey hazing (sometimes that takes up the whole screen and others just part of it). 

5kuh5KP.png

@Glenwing

LCDs are controlled by row and column so when the electronics malfunction it usually manifests as a problem with a whole line, but what the exact problem is, it's hard to say.

13 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

LCDs are controlled by row and column so when the electronics malfunction it usually manifests as a problem with a whole line, but what the exact problem is, it's hard to say.

I assumed it was something with the display itself and not the controller since pressure seems to be the cause of everything (pressure on the screen from the screen position/pressure from a finger).

14 minutes ago, 1kv said:

I think it's likely because of the screen being broken,

gee, thanks

14 minutes ago, 1kv said:

the refresh rate has f****d up..

The hazing only appears when I press lightly on the screen.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I assumed it was something with the display itself and not the controller since pressure seems to be the cause of everything (pressure on the screen from the screen position/pressure from a finger).

Yes, I mean the display is physically controlled through electrical connections positioned along the edges of the screen, with signals being used to address pixels by row and column. Problems with those electronics usually causes problems with an entire row or column.

This is most likely a display issue which is better than the notorious 8600m chip failing, If you want to fix this, go on ebay and buy a cheap screen, But that laptop is sooo old and is still running snow leopard, I think you should buy a new mac, (or a new pc :P)

2 minutes ago, Generic Apple Hater said:

This is most likely a display issue which is better than the notorious 8600m chip failing, If you want to fix this, go on ebay and buy a cheap screen, But that laptop is sooo old and is still running snow leopard, I think you should buy a new mac, (or a new pc :P)

I replaced it 3.5 years ago and it's been sitting in my closet ever since. I just pulled it out to test something quickly and was curious (I have no intention of fixing it). It's running SL because I formatted it and did a fresh install of SL because I wanted to see how it handled SL vs. Yosemite vs. Mavericks vs. El Capitan, but I got lazy and never tested it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

I replaced it 3.5 years ago and it's been sitting in my closet ever since. I just pulled it out to test something quickly and was curious. Also, it's running SL because I formatted it and did a fresh install of SL because I wanted to see how it handled SL vs. Yosemite vs. Mavericks vs. El Capitan, but I got lazy and never tested it. 

Oh, I assumed it was like your main system or something, That is still a good secondary system, just replace the screen, sometimes sitting and even just age causes the display electronics / cables to fail or malfunction.

Just now, Generic Apple Hater said:

Oh, I assumed it was like your main system or something, That is still a good secondary system, just replace the screen, sometimes sitting and even just age causes the display electronics / cables to fail or malfunction.

It's not bad enough to replace -- if I'm not poking the screen then it's just a small line running down the right side of the screen. But I also have no use for the laptop. I have a rMBP that I use 95% of the time and my desktop that I use to game on. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

It's not bad enough to replace -- if I'm not poking the screen then it's just a small line running down the right side of the screen. But I also have no use for the laptop. I have a rMBP that I use 95% of the time and my desktop that I use to game on. 

Ok, Not as bad as i thought, for a system with no use, I wouldn't recommended putting any money in it. Just leave it as is, But the screens do typically get worse. 

I use a 2007 MBP as my main laptop..

Still holds up well :D

I'd recommend replacing the screen, as they're cheap and it'll fix your issue right up.