Upgrade to an LG G6?

Exprima

The LG G6 is $480 ($20/mo for 24 mo) rn on Verizon. I've been eyeing this phone since it first came out and have been deviously tempted to upgrade from my HTC 10. My HTC 10 just got upgraded to Nougat so I don't feel the temptation to upgrade as much as before but now the G6 is on sale.

I can probably sell my HTC 10 for about $200-250, so by spending an extra $230-280 on the LG G6 I get IP67 water resistance, a marginal upgrade from a Snapdragon 820 to a Snapdragon 821, an 18:9 screen, wireless charging, and a 10% larger battery. I was gonna wait for the HTC U 11 but it doesn't look like it will have a headphone jack.

Should I do it or is my judgment clouded by hype???

Ryzen 5 3600 | EVGA CLC240 | EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra | ASRock B450 Pro4 | 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200 | 1tb WD SN550 | 2tb SanDisk Ultra 3DEVGA P2 650w | Fractal Design Meshify CViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD + ViewSonic VS2412-H | GHS.RAR (Boba U4s, Staebies, GMK Aurora Polaris + Artisans) | Steelseries Aerox Ghost | Artisan-Japan Ninja FX Hien (M/Soft) | Fostex HP-A3 | Fostex PM0.3G | Fostex T60RP | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | Beyerdynamic FOX

3 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Don't bother

If water resistance is a selling point, you need to rethink how you handle your phone

SD821 is for the most part, a higher clocked SD820. You can overclock or install a more efficient custom rom to meet/exceed the difference

Yes there are features not present in SD820 but nothing crucial.

The wider 18:9 aspect ratio on the G5 is just to compensate for the lack of hardware keys.

Larger battery means nothing without looking at efficiency.

Save up for a bigger upgrade

It's nice to be able to listen to music in the shower lol. Not a biggie, tho. All your other points make sense tho. The HTC 10 has hardware buttons so they don't take up space on the screen, and my phone lasts all day no problem anyway so a bigger battery is not necessary.

Ryzen 5 3600 | EVGA CLC240 | EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra | ASRock B450 Pro4 | 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200 | 1tb WD SN550 | 2tb SanDisk Ultra 3DEVGA P2 650w | Fractal Design Meshify CViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD + ViewSonic VS2412-H | GHS.RAR (Boba U4s, Staebies, GMK Aurora Polaris + Artisans) | Steelseries Aerox Ghost | Artisan-Japan Ninja FX Hien (M/Soft) | Fostex HP-A3 | Fostex PM0.3G | Fostex T60RP | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | Beyerdynamic FOX

I'd actually be reluctant, if just because the HTC 10 is such a rare and special beast that I'd want to use it for as long as it's still viable!  Wait until your phone is starting to hit its limits (or there's just a more significant upgrade) before you think about switching.

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

I'd actually be reluctant, if just because the HTC 10 is such a rare and special beast that I'd want to use it for as long as it's still viable!  Wait until your phone is starting to hit its limits (or there's just a more significant upgrade) before you think about switching.

Yeah I think my HTC is a lot better than I gave it credit for, haha.

42 minutes ago, Exprima said:

Yeah I think my HTC is a lot better than I gave it credit for, haha.

Lol I just went to the vzw website and saw the deal lol. What about your phone isn't cutting it? I was gonna upgrade to the S7 in November and then I realized that my phone does everything I want it to do, plus I can get the latest version of Android with custom ROMs since there is still a big fan base for my droid turbo. The same is probably true with the HTC 10

47 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

Lol I just went to the vzw website and saw the deal lol. What about your phone isn't cutting it? I was gonna upgrade to the S7 in November and then I realized that my phone does everything I want it to do, plus I can get the latest version of Android with custom ROMs since there is still a big fan base for my droid turbo. The same is probably true with the HTC 10

Nothing really, I just liked the aesthetics of the G6 better tbh. I'm not much for custom ROMs. I dl Nova Launcher and I'm happy.

1 hour ago, Exprima said:

Nothing really, I just liked the aesthetics of the G6 better tbh. I'm not much for custom ROMs. I dl Nova Launcher and I'm happy.

Are aesthetics really worth 20 dollars a month? Not to mention being locked into 2 years. Depending on what plan you are on unlimited would be a better option. Or just saving up for a better phone.

1 hour ago, Abyss Gaming said:

Are aesthetics really worth 20 dollars a month? Not to mention being locked into 2 years. Depending on what plan you are on unlimited would be a better option. Or just saving up for a better phone.

Don't really care much for unlimited as I have constant access to wifi, and I'm a Verizon employee so I get half off my 8gb plan :P

But you're right it's not really worth the upgrade.

On 5/15/2017 at 8:21 AM, Exprima said:

HTC U 11 but it doesn't look like it will have a headphone jack.

R.I.P