What is this trending ransomware? is it good?

Folktale

How does this ransomware enters your computer? I mean, does it requires the user to click on some malicious link or some app or what?

Is this ransomware created by Microsoft to force win 7 users to update to the latest version of windows 10? Seems foolish to ask this thing. xD

How can one protect his/her computer from this ransomware? 

Will this become a cycle? Like, we update win 10 to latest version and stay safe, but ransomware strikes again, and the cycle goes on?

Does this affect Android users?

What if someone doesn't have the required bitcoins? Is there a way to quarantine this ransomware? Because this ransomware renders the computer useless, is there any method to recover the data?

if its bad malware

can be blocked with avast

if its good malware

can be blocked with avg

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

First of all, couldn't under stand most of the, question?

second, most ransomware is let into a system via email attachments or Facebook adds leading to dodge anti viruses and stupid PC users downloading them. None of which is done by Microsoft as it is super illegal. And yes, windows 10 is more secure but, both of these entry points will allow ransomware to enter anyway. And no, a windows virus will not effect a android device, but a android virus will.

Samuel Edwards

- IT Engineer and Media Producer -

Religious theology diploma and over half a dozen certificates in Advanced Computing and IT.

Current Project:   Mineral Oil Cooled PC

Just trying to be friendly and help where I can. Have yourself a great day!

Use @SamuelJE for friendly tech help :)

Main PC - "The Genesis"

Mobo   -   Gigabyte GA-H170-Gaming 3

CPU     -   intel i5-6600K 4Ghz on water

GPU     -   MSI GTX970 "Red Dragon"

Case    -   Zalman Z11 Plus (Custom RGB Obviously, It's 2017 bro...)

OSD     -   Crucial 275GB M.2 SSD

SSD     -   Crucial 250GB SATA SSD

HDD    -    4TB WD Green x 2

Disp     -   LG ultra wide Gaming Monitor

Secondary PC - "Jonah"   (Mineral oil PC)

Mobo   -   Gigabyte GA-B250-DH1

CPU     -   intel i5-7500 Under Oil

GPU     -   Nvidia GTX 660 (Favorite and first ever GPU)

Case    -   A Fish Tank W/ Custom Engineered Mounting System (Custom RGB Obviously, It's 2017 bro...)

OSD     -   Crucial 275GB M.2 SSD

HDD    -    2TB WD Green

Disp     -   LG ultra wide Gaming Monitor

Just update Windows and you should be fine. It takes advantage of an exploit that Microsoft patched in their recent update.

• CPU = i7 5930k
  • Cooler = Corsair H100i
  • RAM = Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-2666
  • Storage = Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
  • GPU = EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3
  • PSU = Corsair 750D
  • PSU = Corsair 1000W
  • Monitor = Asus PG278Q

8 minutes ago, Folktale said:

I know what it means. I suppose it could fit what you're asking, but thats definitely not the most accurate word for this. 

Ransomware isn't made by microsoft.. its illegal. Its a scam to get money out of people who are careless on the internet. It gets on your pc like any other virus. I.e. downloading it from something dodgy or it being sent through an email or something. Your question is super unclear and all over the place dude.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

25 minutes ago, Folktale said:

How does this ransomware enters your computer? I mean, does it requires the user to click on some malicious link or some app or what?

Is this ransomware created by Microsoft to force win 7 users to update to the latest version of windows 10? Seems foolish to ask this thing. xD

Will this become a cycle? Like, we update win 10 to latest version and stay safe, but ransomware strikes again, and the cycle goes on?

What if someone doesn't have the required bitcoins? Is there a way to quarantine this ransomware? Because this ransomware renders the computer useless, is there any method to recover the data?

1) It's a worm, and only needs to be able to find your ip address and for your computer to be volnerable to get in. No one needs to send you anything, and you don't even have to visit a website to get it.

2) This came from the NSA leak of an exploit that Microsoft didn't even know about. If you honestly think that Microsoft is that bad of a company, then you're daft.

3) Install all Windows updates, and/or completely disconnect your computer from the internet.

4)Probably not, but you never know.

5)No, this is something that is affecting Windows.

6)You can buy Bitcoin; No, it's that sophisticated and aggressive; Hope the person you send the ransome to actually takes the time to send you the encryption key.

30 minutes ago, christianled59 said:

Trending?

All the cool kids are doing ransomware. 

I smoke a bowl of worms every day.  It's heart healthy.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

I just want to point out that Microsoft even sent out a patch to windows XP and server 2003, just to make sure even fewer people get it, so no, Microsoft is not stupid enough to make this.

44 minutes ago, JerrBear said:

Just update Windows and you should be fine. It takes advantage of an exploit that Microsoft patched in their recent update.

just to expand it remotely exploits the way windows handled SMBv1 so no hers interaction is required to be infected you just need to be connected to a network with a machine that is or the internet. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 hour ago, Folktale said:

Yes.

No.

Don't click suspicious links, don't visit weird website, don't do stupid things.

No.

No.

Unless you have a backup of all your data, there is no way to recover it without paying the bitcoins.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

8 hours ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

It doesn't render the computer useless, it just encrypts all your files. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

14 hours ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Don't click suspicious links, don't visit weird website, don't do stupid things.

Actually, you don't need to click anything, this worm will find its own way in if you're not patched, so the only way to protect yourself is to patch.

8 minutes ago, Sack said:

Actually, you don't need to click anything, this worm will find its own way in if you're not patched, so the only way to protect yourself is to patch.

always wear a condom kids... oh oops we're talking about windows... Always update windows... yeah that.

derp

15 hours ago, Sack said:

I just want to point out that Microsoft even sent out a patch to windows XP and server 2003, just to make sure even fewer people get it, so no, Microsoft is not stupid enough to make this.

What about Vista though? Will someone think of those poor souls still using Vista!?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

[removed]

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

If I don't care about my data could I just format the drive?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

18 hours ago, christianled59 said:

Trending?

All the cool kids are doing ransomware. 

this is steven, he was a ransomware addit

steven: i used them at least 5 times a day, i couldn't stop....

but steven got help and you can to...

call 1800-GiveMeBitcoinYouScrub and you too can get help

don't do ransomware kids...

this could be a good idea for a video, get a "don't do drugs" video and modify it so it's ransomware instead of drugs

genius! i will start editing one as soon as i get home (thats if i remember)

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

20 hours ago, Folktale said:

Heres the deal. Microsoft has an 89% Market share in the desktop OS market. Which makes them the largest target for malware. It is a constant cycle. MS plugs a few holes, more are found. Its just a fact of life. Patch a hole and 3 more takes it place. Generally keeping your computer up to date, having an up to date Anti Virus and not being a dumb ass will protect you from catching a virus. 

If your worried about the wannacry malware, I suggest you backup your important files to an external drive. Make sure Windows is updated to the latest security patches, make sure your AV is updated. 

If you get infected be smart. Disconnect from your network. Then format and reinstall. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Heres the deal. Microsoft has an 89% Market share in the desktop OS market. Which makes them the largest target for malware. It is a constant cycle. MS plugs a few holes, more are found. Its just a fact of life. Patch a hole and 3 more takes it place. Generally keeping your computer up to date, having an up to date Anti Virus and not being a dumb ass will protect you from catching a virus. 

If your worried about the wannacry malware, I suggest you backup your important files to an external drive. Make sure Windows is updated to the latest security patches, make sure your AV is updated. 

If you get infected be smart. Disconnect from your network. Then format and reinstall. 

But say if I have only one drive, 2TB, and I have made three partitions of it. Now if the ransomware attacks, can reinstalling windows be enough and my date in other partitions will still be safe? 

21 hours ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Yes.

No.

No.

No.

Unless you have a backup of all your data, there is no way to recover it without paying the bitcoins.

That is not how this worm works, you don't have to click on something or download something, it will test random IP addresses and try to infect any machine in those IPs, just being connected to internet makes you a target. 

Many years ago we had a similar worm call Sasser that did the same thing,  all you had to do was be connected to internet to get infected.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

On 2017-05-14 at 9:12 AM, Folktale said:

Depends on the ransomeware, but the current one does not require any user interaction. That's why it is spreading so quickly. If someone with an infected laptop were to connect to let's say Mc Donald's public WiFi, all computers on there that aren't patched or have other security measures put up would become infected.

No, because Windows 10 is/was vulnerable too. All versions of Windows going to a really long time (pre-XP) are vulnerable unless patched.

The creators of the ransomeware are unknown, but the exploits used by it were developed and kept secret by the NSA.

From this particular one?

1) Make sure you got the patch installed (if you are not sure which one it is, just install everything).

2) Disable SMBv1.

3) Block SMB connections with your firewall.

4) If you got an IPS, make sure it got the signature for WannaCry blacklisted.

5) Don't connect to networks where other infected computers might be.

6) Keep offline backups of your most important files.

There are more tips than this but it's the first ones I could think of.

Maybe, maybe not.

There is currently a lot of talk about mandatory backdoors in software and if that becomes law, then expect things like this to happen a lot more often than it has historically happened.

This whole situation happened because the US government felt like it was their best interest to not tell Microsoft about security issues in their products.

No, it only affects Windows computers.

Right now there is no way to recover the data if it has been encrypted. You need to either pay them the money (not guaranteed to actually do anything), restore from backup, or wait and pray that someone manages to crack the malware and find a way to decrypt everything.

7 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Of course. It doesn't brick your actual hardware. It just encrypts your files.

2 hours ago, Folktale said:

But say if I have only one drive, 2TB, and I have made three partitions of it. Now if the ransomware attacks, can reinstalling windows be enough and my date in other partitions will still be safe? 

No

It encrypts everything it has access to. If you get infected then all partitions will be locked down, not just C:.

7 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

you would also need to destroy the email that infected you. I dont know if this ransomware leaves copies of itself lying around. Im still waiting for my email infection. I feel like the last kid that gets picked to play softball :(

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_