used i7-7700k vs Ryzen 7 1700 ?

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

Is this the same computer you spilled water all over?

Disabling thermal throttling is just stupid.  It shouldn't even be an option.  It doesn't hurt anything while it's on.  It's like cutting the breaks on your car to make it go faster.

yeah, it is :P
we did it for maximum performance

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

Just now, Nickathom said:

yeah, it is :P
we did it for maximum performance

Well then you don't understand how maximum performance works.  If you're hitting temperatures of 100C+, then you are hurting the CPU.  It won't last as long because of it.

If you had a decent cooler, you wouldn't be getting any thermal throttling.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

Well then you don't understand how maximum performance works.  If you're hitting temperatures of 100C+, then you are hurting the CPU.  It won't last as long because of it.

If you had a decent cooler, you wouldn't be getting any thermal throttling.

it will still shut off if it goes over 100

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

1 minute ago, Nickathom said:

it will still shut off if it goes over 100

It may or may not.  And going that high is already doing small damage to it.

But the topic has been derailed enough.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

after reading 100 of articles about the heat issue, deliding the i7-7700k actually solve all the problems and I'm planning to do it becoz YOLO, but anyway he said he reaches 5ghz without problem, so it should be fine I think. but anyway it's still much hotter than ryzen.

btw. ryzen 8 core 16 threads is really interesting for future proof build since game will start taking advantage of extra core. (that's what most AMD fan say even tho they said the same thing when FX-8350 released, and until now games still use only 4 cores)

Primary PC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | M/B: Asus ROG Strix X370-F | RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz 32GB | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6 | SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB x2 | Power: Thermaltake Toughpower 80+ Gold 650W | Sound card: Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5  | Case: NZXT H500 | Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 | Display: Samsung CHG70 27" 1440p 144Hz QLED

Secondary PC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | M/B: Asrock B450M Pro 4 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator 3200MHz 16GB | GPU: Asrock RX 5700 8GB GDDR6 | SSD: Crucial P1 1TB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Power: Coolermaster Masterwatt 550 | CaseAerocool Cylon Mini | Cooling: BeQuiet Pure Rock Slim 2 | Display: Samsung CFG73 24" 1080p 144Hz QLED

Thanks for reading

17 hours ago, Untitled said:

after reading 100 of articles about the heat issue, deliding the i7-7700k actually solve all the problems and I'm planning to do it becoz YOLO, but anyway he said he reaches 5ghz without problem, so it should be fine I think. but anyway it's still much hotter than ryzen.

btw. ryzen 8 core 16 threads is really interesting for future proof build since game will start taking advantage of extra core. (that's what most AMD fan say even tho they said the same thing when FX-8350 released, and until now games still use only 4 cores)

I'm pretty sceptical that it will make enough of a difference. I mean there is definitely a trend right now that shows the use of more cores and threads for gaming is becoming more popular but I don't think there will ever be a point where it will matter enough where the r7 will beat the 7700k in pure gaming. It may start to close the gap a little but I don't think it will overturn it. Bottom line the r7 1700 is probably the better all around cpu but the 7700k is the better cpu when it comes to gaming and single threaded workloads.