used i7-7700k vs Ryzen 7 1700 ?

I do both gaming, and video editing, I know most of you gonna say go for R7 1700

but my friend is trying to sell his used i7-7700k to me, and it's $120 cheaper than R7 1700.

should I get i7? does saving $120 worth it?

Primary PC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | M/B: Asus ROG Strix X370-F | RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz 32GB | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6 | SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB x2 | Power: Thermaltake Toughpower 80+ Gold 650W | Sound card: Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5  | Case: NZXT H500 | Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 | Display: Samsung CHG70 27" 1440p 144Hz QLED

Secondary PC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | M/B: Asrock B450M Pro 4 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator 3200MHz 16GB | GPU: Asrock RX 5700 8GB GDDR6 | SSD: Crucial P1 1TB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Power: Coolermaster Masterwatt 550 | CaseAerocool Cylon Mini | Cooling: BeQuiet Pure Rock Slim 2 | Display: Samsung CFG73 24" 1080p 144Hz QLED

Thanks for reading

if it's a good chip....then I think that is a good deal. You trust the dude on it's overclocking etc. 

Still kicks ass for gaming. I just built a rig with the 7700k and it's an easy overclocker and does well in games. 

If you use the multi thread stuff then a new ryzen isn't a bad option. I just game so I'd suggest the i7...still a nice chip. Whether you get the most out of it that depends on you and your circumstance....you certainly can buy some good parts with $120!

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

It really depends how much you value that increase in performance when it comes to video editing.

I do editing sometime, but mostly gaming. and people keep saying "game will use 8 core in future and ryzen gonna beat i7 hoho haha" so I concern about that too. 

Primary PC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | M/B: Asus ROG Strix X370-F | RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz 32GB | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6 | SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB x2 | Power: Thermaltake Toughpower 80+ Gold 650W | Sound card: Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5  | Case: NZXT H500 | Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 | Display: Samsung CHG70 27" 1440p 144Hz QLED

Secondary PC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | M/B: Asrock B450M Pro 4 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator 3200MHz 16GB | GPU: Asrock RX 5700 8GB GDDR6 | SSD: Crucial P1 1TB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Power: Coolermaster Masterwatt 550 | CaseAerocool Cylon Mini | Cooling: BeQuiet Pure Rock Slim 2 | Display: Samsung CFG73 24" 1080p 144Hz QLED

Thanks for reading

R7 would be better if buying new, but since you can save $120 on the i7, get that instead. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Just now, losyav said:

just remember intel recommend NOT to overclock the i7700k

that's what I worry about too, since it's hot like jalapeno.

Primary PC

Secondary PC

Thanks for reading

4 minutes ago, losyav said:

just remember intel recommend NOT to overclock the i7700k

INTEL :YOU SHOULD NOT OVERCLOCK THE I7700K 

IF YOU WANT TO OVERCLOCK OVOID THE I7700K .

youre retarded. intel is retarded. the temp spikes dont matter as they arent above the max limit

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

Just now, Untitled said:

that's what I worry about too, since it's hot like jalapeno.

i mean if you are getting it from a friend you should know what the temps are like on it. its not all the i7's just some

keep in mind the i7 7700k multi thread performance is far from 'bad'. 

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

Just now, losyav said:

ohh so you are smarter than INTEL right ??

youre dumb. like actually dumb. the silicon in a 14nm chip could easily go over 120c before any permanent damage is done. 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

Just now, losyav said:

INTEL :YOU SHOULD NOT OVERCLOCK THE I7700K .

dude stop trolling. they said that because people were complaining about high temps dumbass. ocing is fine so long as you arent above the max temp limit

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

i would say that the 7700k will in all likeliness be better for gaming now and in the future. the only reason i would recommend the r7 1700 is if you want to utilize those extra cores. but for just gaming the 7700k is still a better cpu. i got the r7 1700 because i need the extra cores and don't really care about the differences in frame-rate  you get with the 7700k. you do say you are going to video edit so there is a reason for the r7 1700 but the 7700k is the better cpu for gaming and if you can get it for cheaper it may be the better choice for you if yo don't plan to video edit all that often. 

Just now, Nickathom said:

dude stop trolling. they said that because people were complaining about high temps dumbass. ocing is fine so long as you arent above the max temp limit

max temp is 100 degree Celsius for a reason. although there are usually factor of safety on max temps and the like, it is still not smart to reach the max temp because it still has a high chance of failing for various reasons. that being said the computer will stop itself before that in all likeliness because of all the safety measures in place. you are also correct that overclocking is fine on the 7700k and Intel is just taking a normal company stance on overclocking for warranty purposes. 

7 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

They literally said that though.  Kaby Lake shares Haswell's heat issues.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

They literally said that though.  Kaby Lake shares Haswell's heat issues.

people were complaining about temp spikes, and while it may be above normal, its completely safe

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

2 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

people were complaining about temp spikes, and while it may be above normal, its completely safe

You're missing the point.  I don't think he was saying don't overclock.  He said Intel said don't overclock.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

You're missing the point.  He wasn't saying don't overclock.  He said Intel said don't overclock.

He was quite obviously saying not to overclock. and who cares if intel says dont overclock, unless their product isnt made of fucking silicon its safe so long as its under 120c

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

unless their product isnt made of fucking silicon its safe so long as its under 120c

Well that part just isn't true.  90C is a dangerous temp.  Once you start going that high, you'll see huge performance drops, because the CPU will slow itself down to avoid getting any hotter (thermal throttling).

There's also more to a CPU that silicon.

Well that part just isn't true.  90C is a dangerous temp.  Once you start going that high, you'll see huge performance drops, because the CPU will slow itself down to avoid getting any hotter (thermal throttling).

There's also more to a CPU that silicon.

you can disable tt in the bios. itll still shit down if it gets too hot.
and the cpus silicon is what kills it when it overheats

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

you can disable tt in the bios. itll still shit down if it gets too hot.
and the cpus silicon is what kills it when it overheats

Please tell me you didn't disable thermal throttling on your CPU...

Please tell me you didn't disable thermal throttling on your CPU...

i did it on my friends computer. it works fine. theres nothing wrong with turning it off so long as you know for a fact your cooler is decent

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

i did it on my friends computer. it works fine. theres nothing wrong with turning it off so long as you know for a fact your cooler is decent

well it shouldnt thermal throttle if you have a good cooler. thats like you saying you dont need seatbelts if you dont crash lol. 

1 minute ago, Nickathom said:

Is this the same computer you spilled water all over?

Disabling thermal throttling is just stupid.  It shouldn't even be an option.  It doesn't hurt anything while it's on.  It's like cutting the breaks on your car to make it go faster.