can i stop win10 to stop restarting itself at random.....updates

my pc probably had a auto restart update thing while i was away (i cant shut my pc off or restart cos my mobo is fuckd and wont turn back on properly)
so now i lost a bunch of chrome tabs and whatever else i was doing i dont remember what was .....

i just need to turn this flipping auto updater off so it dont attempt to restart my pc cos it wont turn back on again -.-

welcome, to windows 10.

you cant turn it off.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

welcome, to windows 10.

you cant turn it off.

Not true.

Win+R > services.msc > Windows Update > Properties >  Startup type: Disabled > Service status: Stop.

That said, ^ will prevent you from getting any updates, which is insecure and I highly suggest you don't do it.

1 minute ago, Jade said:

Not true.

Win+R > services.msc > Windows Update > Properties >  Startup type: Disabled > Service status: Stop.

That said, ^ will prevent you from getting any updates, which is insecure and I highly suggest you don't do it.

you can kill windows update, you cant kill it automagicly installing them and rebooting your pc.

--

or in one of my usual way random analogies: you cant make a living person not breathe, but if you shoot him, he'll stop breathing as well.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

you can kill windows update, you cant kill it automagicly installing them and rebooting your pc.

--

or in one of my usual way random analogies: you cant make a living person not breathe, but if you shoot him, he'll stop breathing as well.

Sure, but disabling Windows Update altogether will prevent the reboot for updates, since there are none, as far as it's aware - that's the question OP has. 

5 minutes ago, Jade said:

This is why Windows 10 is bs

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Iv never had windows automatically restart my computer once since iv been on it. Maybe cause I shutdown my pc and not put it to sleep

13 minutes ago, manikyath said:

welcome, to windows 10.

you cant turn it off.

if it doesnt shut down completely i just shut off the PSU and on again

Use gpedit.msc set configure update automatically to 2 or 3. If you are on win 10 home you will need to install gpedit.msc first.

You could do things a bit manually.

Disable updates in the services menu when you're using the system.

Every couple of weeks re-enable the service and get all the updates over with in one shot the disable it again.

Seems like a decent middle ground between stopping random shutdowns and keeping the updates "enabled".

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You could do things a bit manually.

Disable updates in the services menu when you're using the system.

Every couple of weeks re-enable the service and get all the updates over with in one shot the disable it again.

Seems like a decent middle ground between stopping random shutdowns and keeping the updates "enabled".

Right that seems like a good idea but cant figure out how to do that so can you explain the process? i searched services and opened a thinger with a list of stuffs

Run powershell as admin put this in:

set-service wuauserv -startuptype disabled

or

set-service wuauserv -startuptype automatic - to turn it back on

5 minutes ago, MoDRun said:

Right that seems like a good idea but cant figure out how to do that so can you explain the process? i searched services and opened a thinger with a list of stuffs

If you search "services" on your computer from the windows icon on the desktop you should be shown a option called "services" with a pair of blue gears.

These are all the services that are available on your computer. They control a lot of the things responsible for keeping your computer running while you play with specific applications you could call it "The back end". Anyways, very simply in the list one is labeled "Windows Updates" (or "wuauserv"). It's responsible for the checking of available updates. double click it will pop up a menu. In the center of this menu you'll see "Startup type: " with a drop down menu. open that menu and select "Disabled". Click Apply and restart the computer. When the system restarts Windows won't check for more updates.

You can verify if it worked by going into: Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for updates

You should receive an error code that looks like: (0x80070422)

You can also do what M0diiFy said. It'll do the same thing. You can even write those commands into batch files:

updates-disable.bat

updates-enable.bat

They'd run the commands automatically and save you the trouble of typing in those commands again and again.

Start - > Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services

Then scroll down to Windows Update, and double click it (or right-click -> properties), then select the drop-down box to set the Startup Type to Disabled.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

2 hours ago, MoDRun said:

my pc probably had a auto restart update thing while i was away (i cant shut my pc off or restart cos my mobo is fuckd and wont turn back on properly)
so now i lost a bunch of chrome tabs and whatever else i was doing i dont remember what was .....

i just need to turn this flipping auto updater off so it dont attempt to restart my pc cos it wont turn back on again -.-

You can't turn it off. You can delay update with the new Pause feature, and you can set your Active hours (option is under Windows Update section) to ensure that your computer won't restart when you are using it (you'll get a pop-up also warning before restarting, which you can pick Later or Restart now), but it will eventually restart.

You can set Chrome to remember your last tabs. There is that option in the Settings, like all web browsers these days.

You should consider looking into the problem you are facing instead of trying to find way to disable Windows Update and restarts.