Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro vs Audio Technica M50x

Go to solution Solved by johnt,

I purchased the M50x and the Beyerdynamic DT770 to compare. Here are my subjective opinions.

Sound wise I found the DT770 sounds better to my ears with some sort of dedicated amplifier. This is a personal opinion. The bass felt anemic without an amplifier. But don't doubt the capacity of these head phones. They will shake your brain if the source material has low enough rumble... I just needed an amp to get that rumble because the cheapo HP I use at work wasn't cutting it. The velour ear pads are washable and very soft. The head strap is the comfiest on the market. No company compares to the soft head strap that Beyerdynamic makes. This strap is also removable and washable. The spine is some metal alloy. It's pretty strong, but you can deform it if you try hard enough.

The M50x is bass boosted to the moon and back. It gets exhausting after a while. The ear pads are replaceable, but I wouldn't recommend washing them. The head strap is probably the worst on the market. I was able to feel the cardboard digging into my head. It was all plastic construction with may be some bits of metal, but the comfort wore off very quickly. These aren't all day headphones.

Side by side, I had a hard time believing these two headphones were in the same price range. There is no comparison. I don't know why the M50x has such a "popular" reputation and why they cost so much. They always seem to come up in comparisons against much better headphones. I would have to assume the Custom One Pro is similar to the 770 in terms of build quality. My vote is for the DT770-250ohm in your price range. It's similar to the COP except the cord isn't detachable, but it comes with velour pads.

I've seen people vouch for both headphones online, and reviews really aren't helping. Some say the M50x sucks, while others say the COP sucks. I just want to know which one is better in sound quality (clarity, bass, detail), and durability. Which do you recommend? Any other headphones >$200 CDN? 

3 minutes ago, Potato:3 said:

M50x

i used both, i have to say m50x are my favorite headphone in that price range. sound is a personal preference, try them out before buying. 

3 minutes ago, Potato:3 said:

Some say the M50x sucks

those people also say beats are the best headphones. 

I use Sony MDR V6 and they sound great but not very loud and the Bass is pretty "meh"

derp

8 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i used both, i have to say m50x are my favorite headphone in that price range. sound is a personal preference, try them out before buying. 

What about build quality?  I've heard of the ear cushions on the M50xs become stiff after a couple weeks. 

1 minute ago, Potato:3 said:

What about build quality?  I've heard of the ear cushions on the M50xs become stiff after a couple weeks. 

m50x has decent built while custom one has good built quality. if you care about sound quality m50x, if you want build quality one is better.

I bought the Sennheiser HD598cs but unfortunately it'll arrive next month so I have yet to test it. To be honest, I'm starting to regret it and should've just bought a wireless headphone like the plantronics back beat pro/2 or even upped my budget and purchased a bose qc35 (sound quality is average but I heard they got the best anc which I would've definitely loved). Reason behind is I never knew how much I didn't care about sound quality at all until I purchased a $1 (yes, $1 flat) iem just so I could hear in silence. I was honestly already contented and was using it like 4-5 hours a day despite having studio monitors. But honestly, that tells more about me than you but hopefully that information may have served some use.

34 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

You're smoking something. I've never said beats are the best headphones.

At OP,

What types of music do you listen to? Do you plan on gaming with these headphones (if yes, what games)? Do you need isolation? What type of soundstage do you prefer? Do you like bass? Do you mind harsh treble and sibilance? What headphones have you used before, and what would you change about them?

Like any other device, headphones are impossible to rank on a linear scale since they all excel at different things. There's no best, only the best for you.

OP choose whichever headphone suits you the best, i suggest you go out and try out headphones at a store, m50x are usually very highly regarded because of their sound quality at the pricepoint. 

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

For the OP: things aren't that simple. It never is. You're hearing conflicting reports because it really does depend on personal preference. Try both, or failing that pick the one you like the look of better. The difference in performance between the two is not enough to lose sleep over.

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

this is basically my thoughts on the M50/x's. I don't think that I wrote that the pads start to break after a short period, but they do.

2 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

um, what m8? Are you one of the people that think the M50x's are "neutral" or flat sounding? They aren't.... They very much have a V-shaped signature.

Have you seen me recommend beats? Or just talk about any bass heavy headphones as they are the best? I don't think so. I have on the other hand bashed the M50/x's a lot and sure I have recommended bass heavy headphones when that is what OP is looking for.

So why do you even dare to talk about me in that manner? 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

lol this thread.

5 hours ago, SSL said:

. The difference in performance between the two is not enough to lose sleep over.

at what point in the audio world are we supposed to lose sleep over headphones?

@op, iwould go custom one pro, due to better comfort, build quality, and changeble sound

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

1 hour ago, spwath said:

at what point in the audio world are we supposed to lose sleep over headphones?

when you got new really nice headphones on the way to you and you are as excited as a little kid before Christmas..... Or is that just me?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

IMO, get either the M40x or the Status Audio CB-1. 

Because, M40x > M50x.

But you'll want to swap the earpads on the M40x. And the CB-1 has great earpads out of the box. 

Don't just think about sound, but comfort as well. 

Also, you'd be happy with the Custom 1 pros. They're just overpriced (IMO). 

Basically anything but the M50x!!!

8 hours ago, Nimrodor said:

Probably when it went ad hominem.

At OP,

What types of music do you listen to? Do you plan on gaming with these headphones (if yes, what games)? Do you need isolation? What type of soundstage do you prefer? Do you like bass? Do you mind harsh treble and sibilance? What headphones have you used before, and what would you change about them?

Like any other device, headphones are impossible to rank on a linear scale since they all excel at different things. There's no best, only the best for you.

I mainly listen to electronic, and prefer a punchy but not overwhelming bass. As for games, the audio isn't really important. I don't play any games where sound is crucial like CS:GO and the like. My previous headset were the SteelSeries 5Hv3. If you've used those, or any similar gaming headsets, how do the M50x and COP compare? 

I purchased the M50x and the Beyerdynamic DT770 to compare. Here are my subjective opinions.

Sound wise I found the DT770 sounds better to my ears with some sort of dedicated amplifier. This is a personal opinion. The bass felt anemic without an amplifier. But don't doubt the capacity of these head phones. They will shake your brain if the source material has low enough rumble... I just needed an amp to get that rumble because the cheapo HP I use at work wasn't cutting it. The velour ear pads are washable and very soft. The head strap is the comfiest on the market. No company compares to the soft head strap that Beyerdynamic makes. This strap is also removable and washable. The spine is some metal alloy. It's pretty strong, but you can deform it if you try hard enough.

The M50x is bass boosted to the moon and back. It gets exhausting after a while. The ear pads are replaceable, but I wouldn't recommend washing them. The head strap is probably the worst on the market. I was able to feel the cardboard digging into my head. It was all plastic construction with may be some bits of metal, but the comfort wore off very quickly. These aren't all day headphones.

Side by side, I had a hard time believing these two headphones were in the same price range. There is no comparison. I don't know why the M50x has such a "popular" reputation and why they cost so much. They always seem to come up in comparisons against much better headphones. I would have to assume the Custom One Pro is similar to the 770 in terms of build quality. My vote is for the DT770-250ohm in your price range. It's similar to the COP except the cord isn't detachable, but it comes with velour pads.

51 minutes ago, JohnT said:

I don't know why the M50x has such a "popular" reputation and why they cost so much. 

oh that is quite simple, a lot of youtubers hyped them a LOT and then more and more people started to hype them. Probably a big part of the people buying them never owned a pair of headphones so they thought the M50/x's were great and therefore created more hype.

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

Definitely leaning towards the COP. Although I'll see if I can squeeze the DT770 in my budget. Thanks :)

Beyer COP already wins compared to M50x because in the first place, it'll be more comfortable overtime.

There are a lot of people who come here and say "BUY M50X!!!" to any thread asking for headphone suggestions because they just don't have any knowledge about headphones or IEM whatsoever any other than M50x because they watched all these youtubers who don't understand audio as well or didn't understand at the time saying how M50x is "THE BEST HEADPHONE UNDER $200"

This is coming from a guy whose audio equipments cost more than his gaming computer brand new, so I'll leave it to you whether you want to believe me or not.

While I'm at it, beats solo 2 sounds better than M50x, IMO. The treble while subdued still extends and mid-bass to vocal transition is pretty good. Better than this absolute "meh" of a vocal continued by spiking treble

On 5/9/2017 at 8:40 AM, Potato:3 said:

Definitely leaning towards the COP. Although I'll see if I can squeeze the DT770 in my budget. Thanks :)

The DT770 is a little bit cheaper in the States. That's the second reason I find it more appealing than the COP... the first is the ear pads.

3 hours ago, JohnT said:

The DT770 is a little bit cheaper in the States. That's the second reason I find it more appealing than the COP... the first is the ear pads.

I managed to find the DT 990 32Ohms for $210 CDN on Amazon. Might grab that one tbh

38 minutes ago, Potato:3 said:

I managed to find the DT 990 32Ohms for $210 CDN on Amazon. Might grab that one tbh

The treble is a bit harsher on the 990's. In case you didn't already catch it, the 990 is an open back design where as the M50x/COP/770 are closed back.

On 2017-5-11 at 4:27 PM, JohnT said:

The treble is a bit harsher on the 990's. In case you didn't already catch it, the 990 is an open back design where as the M50x/COP/770 are closed back.

I already knew that. Thought I'd give open backs a try. 

1 minute ago, Potato:3 said:

I already knew that. Thought I'd give open backs a try. 

It's easier on the ears. I prefer it. If you aren't going to bother anyone around you, open back is generally the way to go. You just can't really use them in public places like libraries, school, or college. 

Check out the Sennheiser 558 or 598. Whichever falls in your budget. The 598 special edition is pretty comfy. The Beyerdynamic 770/990 velour pads are still better, but Sennheiser 558/598 has better sound quality IMO. They also feel lighter than the 770/990.

56 minutes ago, JohnT said:

It's easier on the ears. I prefer it. If you aren't going to bother anyone around you, open back is generally the way to go. You just can't really use them in public places like libraries, school, or college. 

Check out the Sennheiser 558 or 598. Whichever falls in your budget. The 598 special edition is pretty comfy. The Beyerdynamic 770/990 velour pads are still better, but Sennheiser 558/598 has better sound quality IMO. They also feel lighter than the 770/990.

Home use only. I heard the 598s have a flatter sound than the 990s, so I decided to go with the 990s instead.