Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro vs Audio Technica M50x

Go to solution Solved by johnt,

I purchased the M50x and the Beyerdynamic DT770 to compare. Here are my subjective opinions.

Sound wise I found the DT770 sounds better to my ears with some sort of dedicated amplifier. This is a personal opinion. The bass felt anemic without an amplifier. But don't doubt the capacity of these head phones. They will shake your brain if the source material has low enough rumble... I just needed an amp to get that rumble because the cheapo HP I use at work wasn't cutting it. The velour ear pads are washable and very soft. The head strap is the comfiest on the market. No company compares to the soft head strap that Beyerdynamic makes. This strap is also removable and washable. The spine is some metal alloy. It's pretty strong, but you can deform it if you try hard enough.

The M50x is bass boosted to the moon and back. It gets exhausting after a while. The ear pads are replaceable, but I wouldn't recommend washing them. The head strap is probably the worst on the market. I was able to feel the cardboard digging into my head. It was all plastic construction with may be some bits of metal, but the comfort wore off very quickly. These aren't all day headphones.

Side by side, I had a hard time believing these two headphones were in the same price range. There is no comparison. I don't know why the M50x has such a "popular" reputation and why they cost so much. They always seem to come up in comparisons against much better headphones. I would have to assume the Custom One Pro is similar to the 770 in terms of build quality. My vote is for the DT770-250ohm in your price range. It's similar to the COP except the cord isn't detachable, but it comes with velour pads.

56 minutes ago, Potato:3 said:

Home use only. I heard the 598s have a flatter sound than the 990s, so I decided to go with the 990s instead.

Are you talking about the frequency response?