I give up

unknownsoldier

I have $2000 I want to build the best gaming rig I can get for the money. My problem is i'm one of those people who overthink's everything. I can't make up my mind Only thing I know for sure that I want a case that is quiet like the Define r4 and does not have a laser light show. So on my budget tell me what would you build?

Do you need peripherals? monitor? what resolution do you play on? where are you buying from?

current system:  i5 2500k @4.5ghz cooled by antec 620 - asrock z77 extreme 4 - 8gb corsair RAM - MSI Twin Frorz 7950 in crossfire - XFX 850w  - Fractal design R4 - samsung 840 120gb ssd - 500gb wd blue hdd - 1440p korean qnix monitor (love it!)

Where are you buying? Do you need a peripherals? what do you plan on doing besides gaming on your rig?

PC Specs

Intel i5 4670k 4.2ghz @1.20v | Cooler Master 212 Plus | Asus z87-A | Fractal Design Define R4 |Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm HDD | 2x Samsung 840 EVO | Seasonic 520w m12II | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb DDR3 1600mhz | PowerColor 7870 GHz edition | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | NZXT Hue RGB Controller

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ Microcenter) 

CPU Cooler:  Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($97.99 @ Amazon) 

Motherboard:  ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($171.99 @ Amazon) 

Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 

Video Card:  PowerColor Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($290.98 @ SuperBiiz) 

Video Card:  PowerColor Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($290.98 @ SuperBiiz) 

Sound Card:  Asus Xonar DX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 

Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit)  ($97.98 @ OutletPC) 

Total: $1795.82

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-18 15:08 EST-0500)

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

Sorry I should have gave more information. I have all the perpherals I need and I game on a single 28 inch monitor.

Sorry I should have gave more information. I have all the perpherals I need and I game on a single 28 inch monitor.

size does not matter resoulution does.

Get this tower for 2000 Dollars it will murder all games :

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
CPU Cooler:  Silverstone TD02 92.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($108.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard:  ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage:  Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($149.00 @ Amazon) 
Video Card:  Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($509.99 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card:  Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($509.99 @ NCIX US) 
Other: Intel 4770K ( 199.99$ @ microcentre ) ($199.99)
Total: $1957.86
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-18 16:26 EST-0500)

Because you are one of those persons who can't make up their minds i chose quet the ''unusual'' parts that perform awesome. All the parts are awesome of course , do some research on all of them if you want.

The cooler that is on the GTX 780 is extremely silent , it's the most silent in it's class , go look up some benchmarks for more info etc. Also the CPU cooler is extremely quiet as it uses some nice silverstone fans.

PS : If you are going to postpone the build a little i highly reccoemnd you wait for some AMD R9 290(X) Cards with a Non-refference cooler. Also you can buy all the parts and wait for 290 with non-stock cooler.

Interested in Business and Technology

@SSOB

@ciprian97pop

Guys, my god - I don't want to get rude here but.. OP is not sure and you 2 both suggested an i7? For what, so he can render better? For future proof? Well let me just tell you. The i5 is just as future proof as the i7 when you talk about gaming. 

Aswell both put an expensive AIO cooler into it for the i7. Well, OC is good to do, but the extra 0,2 OC you can get with those coolers won't really do much when it comes to gaming. 

Here is my suggestion: 

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($214.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard:  Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($189.99 @ NCIX US) 
Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($99.00 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan:  Antec True Quiet 120 RED 35.3 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($12.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $2006.84
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-18 17:01 EST-0500)

Because you are unsure and doubtful, here is my reasoning why I decided to go with these:

CPU: i5 and i7 perform the exact same, sometimes the i5 wins sometimes the i7 wins. No need to spend more money for hyperthreading when you won't use this. I went Intel because the motherboards are much better compared to the AMD side for sound quality. But you could consider to go AMD and get a dedicated sound card. Intel has 4 cores and AMD has "8" so for the future, this might be a thing. Altough I would not worry to much for this. I am very sure that Intel talks with game developers and they hear that the current games will use more cores, but not going to be that you soon need 6/8 cores for a game to run well. This might be in 3/4 years the case. But I can't look into the future.
CPU Cooler: You want silence, so this one will do very well. It's aswell a great cooler for OCing and looks great once installed. 
Mobo: Great board with good on board sound. Aswell this combination with the GPU's will let you overvolt the cards even higher then Nvidia wants you too. 
RAM: RAM is RAM.. is RAM. I just picked the cheapest 8GB kit that was CL9 and matched the color scheme. 
Storage: 128gb is a little on the lower side for SSD but plenty when it comes to gaming. Make sure you install MMO's and stuff that has lot's off loading times on it to get a nice performance increase in those games. 
GPU: SLI 780 is insane for 1080p gaming. It will do very well in 1440p aswell, not sure if your 28" screen is 1440p (i bloody hope so!) so then you can game in that resolution very well. Only downside is the 3GB Vram. As SSOB said above, if you have time. Wait for the 290x non-reference coolers. They will do slightly better in 1440p. 
Case: You wanted the R4 so I did not touch this. 
PSU: You want it to be silent, this PSU does not let the fan spin until you start to game. Wich ofcourse makes the system more silent. Even when playing games, the fan will in most cases spin very slowly and thus won't make much noise. 
Case fan: Mainly for looks but aswell for silence, place this fan as rear exhaust and place the 140fan that was there as front intake. 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

@SSOB

@ciprian97pop

Guys, my god - I don't want to get rude here but.. OP is not sure and you 2 both suggested an i7? For what, so he can render better? For future proof? Well let me just tell you. The i5 is just as future proof as the i7 when you talk about gaming. 

Aswell both put an expensive AIO cooler into it for the i7. Well, OC is good to do, but the extra 0,2 OC you can get with those coolers won't really do much when it comes to gaming. 

Here is my suggestion: 

CPU: i5 and i7 perform the exact same, sometimes the i5 wins sometimes the i7 wins. No need to spend more money for hyperthreading when you won't use this. I went Intel because off the motherboards are much better compared to them AMD side for sound quality. But you could consider to go AMD and get a dedicated sound card. Intel has 4 cores and AMD has "8" so for the future, this might be a thing. Altough I would not worry to much for this. I am very sure that Intel talks with game developers and they hear that the current games will use more cores, but not going to be that you soon need 6/8 cores for a game to run well. This might be in 3/4 years the case. But I can't look into the future.
CPU Cooler: You want silence, so this one will do very well. It's aswell a great cooler for OCing and looks great once installed. 
Mobo: Great board with good on board sound. Aswell this combination with the GPU's will let you overvolt the cards even higher then Nvidia wants you too. 
RAM: RAM is RAM.. is RAM. I just picked the cheapest 8GB kit that was CL9 and matched the color scheme. 
Storage: 128gb is a little on the lower side for SSD but plenty when it comes to gaming. Make sure you install MMO's and stuff that has lot's off loading times on it to get a nice performance increase in those games. 
GPU: SLI 780 is insane for 1080p gaming. It will do very well in 1440p aswell, not sure if your 28" screen is 1440p (i bloody hope so!) so then you can game in that resolution very well. Only downside is the 3GB Vram. As SSOB said above, if you have time. Wait for the 290x non-reference coolers. They will do slightly better in 1440p. 
PSU: You want it to be silent, this PSU does not let the fan spin until you start to game. Wich ofcourse makes the system more silent. Even when playing games, the fan will in most cases spin very slowly and thus won't make much noise. 
Case fan: Mainly for looks but aswell for silence, place this fan as rear exhaust and place the 140fan that was there as front intake. 

Let's get some things sorted :

''Guys, my god - I don't want to get rude here but.. OP is not sure and you 2 both suggested an i7? For what, so he can render better? For future proof? Well let me just tell you. The i5 is just as future proof as the i7 when you talk about gaming. '' 

The 4770K is $199 at microcentre. Says enough right?

AIO's look alot nicer , even though the Be quiet cooler has an awesome alluminium top-plate the asthetics aren't better than this cooler And if you are spending 2000 dollars on a gaming pc it might aswell look awesome :

199364.jpg

, better airflow throughout the case , and also less stress on the mobo. A heavy heatsing can bend the mobo a little ( gratity you know...).

Also some benches to show the TD02 is superior to the Be Quiet cooler. http://www.eteknix.com/silverstone-tundra-td02-240mm-aio-liquid-cpu-cooler-review/6/

Also it is extremely quiet as the noise levels are the same as the well regarded Noctua NH-U14S Cooler. ( don't get ,me wrong i love bequiet but an AIO is a better option for this build)

Also the SSD choise is not good for a 2000 dollar build , the crucial M500 is only $150 for double the capacity of the SSD you chose. ( it's also arguably better supported and more reliable )

As for the PSU , 850W is OK but i would really grab 1000W in this build , if you are going to be using the amazing cooler found in the asus GFX cards the Wattages can raise quicly , add a nice 4.4 GHZ Cpu OC and youre well above 850W. Also the Coolermaster V series is an Excelent psu , check out this : http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/4357/cooler-master-v-series-1000w-psu-review

The added case fan is totally unncessesairy as it will add more noise without really improving thermal performance .

The mobo you chose is overpriced , ROG is nice for bragging rights but unnessesairy for non - show off builds. The AsRock board i chose + a nice Asus sound card will be a better option.

Also the ram is blue whereas the colour scheme of even youre parts are red... really ugly..

So before you try to correct , get youre facts right bro :P

Let's get some things sorted :

The 4770K is $199 at microcentre. Says enough right?

Also the SSD choise is not good for a 2000 dollar build , the crucial M500 is only $150 for double the capacity of the SSD you chose. ( it's also arguably better supported and more reliable )

The mobo you chose is overpriced , ROG is nice for bragging rights but unnessesairy for non - show off builds. The AsRock board i chose + a nice Asus sound card will be a better option.

Also the ram is blue whereas the colour scheme of even youre parts are red... really ugly..

So before you try to correct , get youre facts right bro :P

You don't understand why I am against an AIO cooler for this build. But let me explain this one more time. Those fancy expensive coolers are great if you actually will get the benefit out off it to get a higher clock. But for gaming, you won't notice much diffrence between a 4,2/3 OC or a 4,6/7 one. Sure it looks fancy, but that's not something to go for the AIO in my opinion. Unless you really care about looks, then sure. It's just a waste off money in my opinion, that's all. 

Bending the motherboard, well sure if you ship it - but if you build the system yourself. The backplates that come with these coolers are extremely solid. It might put some force on the motherboard, but not enough to make it 'break' it. I have a Mugen - a huge big ass pretty heavy cooler in my build. That thing is for sure a lot more stressfull then the one I suggested. Recently had to replace my motherboard. The board was still flat after 1,5years. 

Did not check the price to be honest. Still, my fact stays here. the i7 is not needed for a gaming PC. Sure if the i7 is cheaper then the i5. Go for it I guess. But this fact stays here: i5 = gaming, i7 = editing (in short) 

I went down with the SSD because off budget. A 128GB SSD is still more then enough for gaming. Ofcourse, not when you place every single game in your steam liberary on it. But, well.. then a 240GB get's close aswell no? I said that the SSD is a little on the small side. 

A thing you forget and most likely did not read why I picked this motherboard is. Because it let's you overvolt the 780's more then nvidia wants you. It's not said on the motherboard box. But you can do this, thus getting a better overclock out off those cards. I aswell did say that you can go AMD and a sound card or just any 120$ board with a sound card and have as good off a sound experience. I can not really say to much about that option because I have no idea. I have a soundcard myself and I know that this helps a great bunch. But I am very sure that the Asus RoG boards do have great sound. 

Not sure where you see that my ram is blue, but for me it's orange. Sure not red, but well - close enough. 

Meh, I do understand why you are afraid off more noise with the addition off that extra fan. It was mainly for looks anyway (as I said) But this is a silent fan and will make the build look a little better. 

So, there are my facts. Perhaps before you go so balls deep against my statement. Read everything I wrote. You have a fair point with the i7 I suppose, but if the pricing was normal or OP has no way to get to an microcenter then it's stupid to get the i7. And you have a fair point with the motherboard, but I would still recommend it anyway. 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/24vwl

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/24vwl/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/24vwl/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Newegg)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($74.95 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($214.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($77.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($132.99 @ B&H)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($307.27 @ TigerDirect)

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($307.27 @ TigerDirect)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($117.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair Gaming 800W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Microcenter)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.98 @ OutletPC)

Operating System: Microsoft Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit - OEM (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $1679.38

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-18 19:12 EST-0500)

Or you could choose a 780 2way sli for that $2,000

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/24vOZ

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/24vOZ/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/24vOZ/benchmarks/

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($74.95 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($214.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($77.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($132.99 @ B&H)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($514.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($514.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($117.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair Gaming 800W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Microcenter)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.98 @ OutletPC)

Operating System: Microsoft Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit - OEM (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $2094.82

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-18 19:21 EST-0500)

cpu:i5-4670k | Ram: 16gb | Case:Nzxt phantom 520 | Psu: corsair tx850 gold

mobo: Asus hero | Gpu: evga 780 | Storage: seagate 2tb/smamsung evo 240gb

Sound: Corsair 2100 / Mouse: Corsair m65 mouse / Keyboard: Corsair k70 / Display Vizio 23inch hdtv (changing soon)

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

^ this is all you need

could replace with 2 r9 290s and run a custom loop 

The Beast [Case -  Corsair 750D CPU - I5 4670k @ 4.3ghz 1.2V CPU cooler - Hyper 212 evo Mobo - MSI g45 z87 RAM - G.Skill Z series 4*4@1866mhz GPU - Gigabyte windforce 3x r9 290 Storage - SSD, samsung 840 evo 120gb HDD, Western Digital Blue 1tb PSU - SilverStone Strider silver 80+ 750WPeripherals [Monitor - ASUS VS239 IPS 23" Keyboard - Corsair K95 Mouse - Mad Catz RAT 7]

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme 130.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($124.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($149.00 @ Amazon)

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($405.91 @ Newegg)

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($405.91 @ Newegg)

Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($239.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $1947.73

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-19 07:41 EST-0500)

@SSOB

@ciprian97pop

Here is my suggestion: 

Because you are unsure and doubtful, here is my reasoning why I decided to go with these:

CPU: i5 and i7 perform the exact same, sometimes the i5 wins sometimes the i7 wins. No need to spend more money for hyperthreading when you won't use this. I went Intel because the motherboards are much better compared to the AMD side for sound quality. But you could consider to go AMD and get a dedicated sound card. Intel has 4 cores and AMD has "8" so for the future, this might be a thing. Altough I would not worry to much for this. I am very sure that Intel talks with game developers and they hear that the current games will use more cores, but not going to be that you soon need 6/8 cores for a game to run well. This might be in 3/4 years the case. But I can't look into the future.

Oh, so that aio is useless but those extra money you spent on that overpriced motherboard are well spent...

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

Oh, so that aio is useless but those extra money you spent on that overpriced motherboard are well spent...

read above why I picked the motherboard. An AIO Is not useless but it's not needed for a gaming rig. A decent tower cooler is more then enough. 

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've decided to wait just a little bit longer before I pull the trigger so I can see what the non-reference 290x's look like and bench at. But I have made one decision. I was really leaning toward AMD but the motherboards seem to lack alot of the top end features when compared to the Intels. So I guess it will be an i5 or an i7 for me.

read above why I picked the motherboard. An AIO Is not useless but it's not needed for a gaming rig. A decent tower cooler is more then enough. 

Please concider astheatics. If you need a fast car you can buy a GT-R . You also can buy a ferarri wich is way more expensive. See my point somethimes you want to ''overspend'' on something.

Please concider astheatics. If you need a fast car you can buy a GT-R . You also can buy a ferarri wich is way more expensive. See my point somethimes you want to ''overspend'' on something.

I look at features first. After that, then I look how the thing looks. I mean, by all means - sure grab the asrock or msi gd45 one and grab a 60$ asus sound card. would work just as well, maybe slightly better in terms off sound. But then you lack the overclocking ability that the asus cards can get when you put them into an RoG board. Anyway, no need to discuss anymore since OP will wait till non-reference 290x. 

I look at features first. After that, then I look how the thing looks. I mean, by all means - sure grab the asrock or msi gd45 one and grab a 60$ asus sound card. would work just as well, maybe slightly better in terms off sound. But then you lack the overclocking ability that the asus cards can get when you put them into an RoG board. Anyway, no need to discuss anymore since OP will wait till non-reference 290x. 

Honestly , for me it's Performance --> Astheatics --> Pricing --> Features. 

Features aren't really something to opt for IMO.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've decided to wait just a little bit longer before I pull the trigger so I can see what the non-reference 290x's look like and bench at. But I have made one decision. I was really leaning toward AMD but the motherboards seem to lack alot of the top end features when compared to the Intels. So I guess it will be an i5 or an i7 for me.

Like what?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.