Someone gained access to my stuff...

VinZie

So I was laying down in bed and I saw my computer getting controlled. I immediately caught it on video.

They made about $300 in paypal transactions. They will be refunded thought. But I need help making sure my pc will be safe in the future. I am reinstalling windows. What do you guys recommend as anti-virus software?

I use malware bytes but I would also recommend norton. Also format your hard drive I have had viruses stay on the drive even after I reinstalling Windows 

Avast or Windows defender and malware bytes 

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

i recommend using basic common sense when browsing the internet, Malwarebytes seems like a good program+ windows defender. make sure you have no rootkit. 

-not going to shady sites 

-make sure you know what you are downloading 

1 minute ago, Rainverm38 said:

I use malware bytes but I would also recommend norton. Also format your hard drive I have had viruses stay on the drive even after I reinstalling Windows 

Don't use that garbage.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

did you have any remote access programs installed? Teamviewer?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

I quite like Windows Defender. Third party softwares like Avira and Bitdefender are pretty good too. Also Malwarebytes.

Avast and AVG used to be great but too full of useless crap nowadays.

The best defence is still common sense.

Does you mum know you're here?

Just now, VVoltor said:

Avast and AVG used to be great but too full of useless functions nowadays.

I literally got the latest update of avast and now it blocks everything without web certificate. Google is blocked, forcing me to use Bing.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

3 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

The best defence is still common sense.

Common sense doesn't help you from ads that have malware embedded in them. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Did you have Windows Defender Active? It usually catches stuff like that. 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

I've used Eset NOD32 for nearly 12 years now.  The key is, don't leave it at the default settings.  Set every scanning option to 'Strict Cleaning', and make sure you enable scanning for Potentially Unwanted and Potentially Unsafe applications.

However, the best protection is simply being cautious on the internet.  I only use NOD32 as a safeguard, in case something slips past me.

The best anti-virus I have found after extensive testing is 360 Total security. I have ran many Trojans, Virus's and pieces of code past 360 and they all have been detected. It has a constantly updated database of virus's and rolls out new updates almost every day. You will not be notified of the updates though, so it wont be annoying.  

Here is the link to look at it,

http://www.360totalsecurity.com/

I prefer Kaspersky and Malwarebytes. Also, hopefully you learned from sex ed that you should always practice safe browsing habits...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I think what's more important than antivirus software is that you retrace your steps and figure out what in the hell you did that could have caused this.  I'm not saying it's your conscious fault, a lot of these hackers use manipulation tactics somewhere down the line to fool you into downloading their software.

It could be through a piece of pirated software, or a piece of software that somebody gave you.  It could be through a legit remote access program like Teamviewer that someone has compromised.  It could also just be that you have another person on your network who is infected or someone hacked into your network and spread the malware to your computer (if you have your firewall disabled). 

As far as antivirus is concerned, it's advisable to have but be careful because most of the free software is pretty lack-luster, if they aren't bad at detecting malware normally they are buggy as hell or have some bad impact on the system.  Besides, antivirus software can actually have the reverse effect, opening up holes in your system because the antivirus itself is not totally free of vulnerabilities.   This is why I recommend using only a few antivirus programs, Bitdefender, Eset or Trend Micro.  The problem is that these antiviruses are not free. 

Either way, running a scan with one of them on a 30-day trial wouldn't hurt at all.  I hope you end up figuring out what's going on.

Forget running virus scans. It's simply not worth it when so much is compromised. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by resetting your PC. Disconnect from the internet, back up your files, and reinstall windows fresh. You seem like a prime candidate for a PAID antivirus. Consider picking up a decent retail AV.

Do you have a restore point? If you have it you can revert your Windows back using system restore before you had this problem, if you don't have any then as @Mike_The_B0ss said you should retrace your steps, just think of something "silly" that you had done.

Also as @Ampix0 said disconnecting yourself from the internet will ensure that your computer won't be able to be controlled anymore, scan your PC with your anti-virus and be careful when you do a backup because if the malware is spread in your PC and you backup an "infected" file.... Well even when you reinstall Windows you still have that malware.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold