How much extra power do i need?

So... i'm building a 7700k 5.0 ghz  gtx 1080 ti all custom water cooler system... and some one told me that a psu will be more efficient with the 'w' correspondent be the  double of my total system consumtion...
So... let's say... 400w rigth? 
So i will need a 800w psu? for more efficient?
I was looking those benchmarks and the seasonic 650w looks good and it's not so expensive compare to the others... but it's only a 650w psy 

https://img.purch.com/w/643/aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9RL1QvNjU0MTQ5L29yaWdpbmFsL3JlbGF0aXZlX3BlcmZvcm1hbmNlLnBuZw==

any one can help me with this?

This is a true information?

IIRC the optimal efficiency is about 80% of capacity. Not 50%.

For a 7700k and 1080Ti I would suggest 650-750 watts

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

the 'w' correspondent?

Maybe you shouldnt build a watercooled high end pc if you don't know what the w is?

But yes, at around 50% load PSUs have the best efficiency.

example EVGA 750G2

efficiency.jpg

So highest efficiency at 300w which is about 40% load.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Accidential double post.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

2 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

the 'w' correspondent?

Maybe you shouldnt build a watercooled high end pc if you don't know what the w is?

But yes, at around 50% load PSUs have the best efficiency.

Watt = electrial unit

5 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

so it's bad to take the 650w seasonic?
it's the numer 2 in the list... 

1) buy a good quality PSU first of all, seasonic is great

2) the efficiency difference between 50% load and 90% load is very little, like a few dollars a year

3) the amount of money you will spend on a 2x more powerful PSU is way more than this little electricity saved by higher efficiency at 50%

4) The peak efficiency will depend on the PSU, they are not all the same, it is usually about 50% but can be more or less

5) The point of buying a more powerful PSU is almost always for upgradeability, not having a few percent better efficiency

6) If you care about a few dollars per year efficiency, like if you live somewhere where power is extremely expensive, they buy an 80+ titanium PSU.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It depends on the power supply, but generally you want the power supply to be most efficient at the amount of power your computer uses for most of the time.

80% Bronze rated power supplies have efficiency rising slowly usually up to around 50% and then they're slowly decreasing in efficiency :

efficiency_bronze.jpg.5ce30e433dc01cd6a7393fe1838681e1.jpg

For example, the Cougar LX 600  (600w psu, bronze efficiency)  peaks at around 300w , which is 50% of its maximum output power.

Gold/Platinum/Titanium have more aggressive curves - they go up in efficiency much faster and stay at peak efficiency for a wider output and then decrease in efficiency much slower

For example, see this Super Flower 650w power supply (with platinum efficiency) :

efficiency_platinum.jpg.d66fcc505c47180dc4cc0abc2d88b155.jpg

You can see the differences : at 100w ( more than what a regular desktop these days uses when you're not gaming or doing something cpu intensive) , the bronze psu was only 84% efficiency, while the platinum power supply was already at around 91%. This particular platinum power supply peaks at around 275w (less than 50% of its output power) but its efficiency decreases so slowly it's basically more efficient than the bronze rated power supply even at is maximum power output. 

Here's another example, a Gold efficiency 550w psu (FSP Hydro-X) :

efficiency_gold.jpg.93747655c6a1ee74504de009f942c31e.jpg

So you can see what I said about how fast the power supply becomes efficient remains valid - this one is not as slow ramping up its efficiency but isn't quite as good as a platinum or a titanium psu. The efficiency also drops much slower once it reaches a peak.

So this power supply would be best for example if your computer uses between 200 watts and 400 watts when you're gaming or encoding videos (basically something that uses more power) and it would still be efficient when you're browsing the Internet or watching movies (less than 100w)

additions:  anything higher than gold efficiency in general won't help you save more money. With a gold efficiency power supply, if you keep your computer running for 8 hours or more in a day, you'll probably recuperate the money you spend over the price of a bronze rated power supply in about 2-3 years. So in general, it's worth going with gold rated power supplies.

29 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It depends on the power supply, but generally you want the power supply to be most efficient at the amount of power your computer uses for most of the time.

80% Bronze rated power supplies have efficiency rising slowly usually up to around 50% and then they're slowly decreasing in efficiency :

efficiency_bronze.jpg.5ce30e433dc01cd6a7393fe1838681e1.jpg

For example, the Cougar LX 600  (600w psu, bronze efficiency)  peaks at around 300w , which is 50% of its maximum output power.

Gold/Platinum/Titanium have more aggressive curves - they go up in efficiency much faster and stay at peak efficiency for a wider output and then decrease in efficiency much slower

For example, see this Super Flower 650w power supply (with platinum efficiency) :

efficiency_platinum.jpg.d66fcc505c47180dc4cc0abc2d88b155.jpg

You can see the differences : at 100w ( more than what a regular desktop these days uses when you're not gaming or doing something cpu intensive) , the bronze psu was only 84% efficiency, while the platinum power supply was already at around 91%. This particular platinum power supply peaks at around 275w (less than 50% of its output power) but its efficiency decreases so slowly it's basically more efficient than the bronze rated power supply even at is maximum power output. 

Here's another example, a Gold efficiency 550w psu (FSP Hydro-X) :

efficiency_gold.jpg.93747655c6a1ee74504de009f942c31e.jpg

So you can see what I said about how fast the power supply becomes efficient remains valid - this one is not as slow ramping up its efficiency but isn't quite as good as a platinum or a titanium psu. The efficiency also drops much slower once it reaches a peak.

So this power supply would be best for example if your computer uses between 200 watts and 400 watts when you're gaming or encoding videos (basically something that uses more power) and it would still be efficient when you're browsing the Internet or watching movies (less than 100w)

additions:  anything higher than gold efficiency in general won't help you save more money. With a gold efficiency power supply, if you keep your computer running for 8 hours or more in a day, you'll probably recuperate the money you spend over the price of a bronze rated power supply in about 2-3 years. So in general, it's worth going with gold rated power supplies.

Which one do you recommend for my system?

12 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

First of all, how do you know your chip will hit 5.0 GHz :P

I'm tempted to mark solved kkkkkkkkkkkk

7 minutes ago, MasterRaceMcqueen said:

I'm tempted to mark solved kkkkkkkkkkkk

Lol

For two 1080 Tis and a 7700K I would recommend a 1000W PSU.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

35 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Lol

For two 1080 Tis and a 7700K I would recommend a 1000W PSU.

You can run that with an 850 watt with no issues.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

39 minutes ago, QuantumElement said:

Not saying that you couldn't but if he's planning on going balls to the wall then I would get a 1000W. If you OC a 980Ti it'll use 350W on it's own iirc and 1080 Tis use even more power so eh

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

58 minutes ago, QuantumElement said:

Like @STRMfrmXMN said, if you're gonna go balls to the wall, do it right. Just one 1080ti is pretty power hungry, but he's gonna get two, along with an OC'd 7700k. Yeah, it'd run alright on an 850w, but that wouldn't leave much headroom tbh.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

16 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Not saying that you couldn't but if he's planning on going balls to the wall then I would get a 1000W. If you OC a 980Ti it'll use 350W on it's own iirc and 1080 Tis use even more power so eh

I tested multiple PSUs in 1080 Ti SLI & 7700k systems recently, to try and decide what to ship them with as a standard minimum.

I used EVGA P2s to keep it as standard as possible, and it was the only PSU in which I had identical models of differing wattage. 650W shuts off repeatedly at stock, 850W is stable at stock but gets unstable with OCing, 1000W could handle max overclocking on GPUs and CPU.

For a single GTX 1080Ti, I found the 850W is plenty for max OCing of both CPU and GPU, and this is in systems with loads of other small power draws, like pumps, LCD fan controllers, flow meters, etc. Though I can't say as to where this sits on its efficiency curve, and it could still be a good idea to go higher, if only for redundancy.

Definitely not an exhaustive test and doesn't account for loads of factors, but @MasterRaceMcqueen can use this as a guideline. Hope it helps.

17 minutes ago, wzrd said:

I tested multiple PSUs in 1080 Ti SLI & 7700k systems recently, to try and decide what to ship them with as a standard minimum.

I used EVGA P2s to keep it as standard as possible, and it was the only PSU in which I had identical models of differing wattage. 650W shuts off repeatedly at stock, 850W is stable at stock but gets unstable with OCing, 1000W could handle max overclocking on GPUs and CPU.

For a single GTX 1080Ti, I found the 850W is plenty for max OCing of both CPU and GPU, and this is in systems with loads of other small power draws, like pumps, LCD fan controllers, flow meters, etc. Though I can't say as to where this sits on its efficiency curve, and it could still be a good idea to go higher, if only for redundancy.

Definitely not an exhaustive test and doesn't account for loads of factors, but @MasterRaceMcqueen can use this as a guideline. Hope it helps.

Well thanks for the info mah dude