Turkey Blocked Access to Wikipedia

26 minutes ago, N3v3r3nding_N3wb said:

Heck, a very large chunk of the news in Western nations is very, very often unreliable.

Understatement! xD   Especially when they are reporting on health science, you can be guaranteed they have hyped up the most trivial part of a study (becasue it's popular or controversial) and not even mentioned the conclusion, type of study or any qualifiers relevant to their audience.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: welcome to the Middle East.

It's basically theocratic bullcrap from Erdogan

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Theocratic dictatorship gonna do what a theocratic dictatorship gonna do.
I feel quite sad for the secularists who were until recently beginning to have a voice in Turkey. I hope we in the west can welcome them if they flee.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

Turkey seems to be on a fast track to become a shitty Saudi Arabia clone: Western endorsed fucking savagery.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Erdogan needs to just take the leap to ban the internet.

3 hours ago, Artechz said:

Not only to the wikipedia definition of turkey (word/country).

I didn't say about the definition of the word/world Turkey.

3 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Is that a reason to block a website altogether?

This site can be unreliable in information due to the fact that anybody can post info here. So, LTT forum blocking coming soon?

Yes, it can be a reason. If Turkey wants their people to use credible sources, fine by them. They honestly decide what websites they want to block.

And this isn't a info website at all. I thought this website was just to discuss technology.

the sky is up

3 hours ago, N3v3r3nding_N3wb said:

Just because someone is unreliable, or even outright lying, doesn't mean that he/she should be censored. The same goes for companies. If they lie, their standing and reputation in the public's eye will be diminished, but it doesn't mean that the government should censor them. By your logic, the government should put a ban on conversation because people can spread misinformation and extremist ideas through speech. Heck, a very large chunk of the news in Western nations is very, very often unreliable. It isn't censored.

I didn't say just because someone is lying should be censored. It is their decision to. And no, government should not ban conversations. 

the sky is up

12 minutes ago, Richtofen The Hyena said:

I didn't say just because someone is lying should be censored. It is their decision to. And no, government should not ban conversations. 

You said that "they have a reason," which gives the impression that you don't disagree with their actions, especially because you went on to defend their reasoning and attempt to give logic behind it.

What do you mean, "It is their decision to."? It was also their decision to carry out the Armenian Genocide. Does that make it right, or even defendable?

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

15 hours ago, mr moose said:

That was a very interesting paper to read, thanks for the share. That really gives me a different prospective on why Wiki is successful/even a thing.

Edit: OP please fix the quoted text so night themed users can read it without having to highlight the text lol.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

23 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

That was a very interesting paper to read, thanks for the share. That really gives me a different prospective on why Wiki is successful/even a thing.

Edit: OP please fix the quoted text so night themed users can read it without having to highlight the text lol.

1 hour ago, RikvE said:

please fix 

please fix.png

I only know how to do it on desktop. I'm at school now, so I won't be able to fix it now. I won't be able to for 11-12 hours, probably.

I clicked "remove formatting" when I pasted it in. Does that not work on mobile?

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

Fairly sure that Ataturk is rolling over in his grave over the political changes that have happened in Turkey in recent years...  It's kind of sad that a lot of these policies appear to go directly against the kind of country he worked to establish.

On 4/30/2017 at 2:23 PM, N3v3r3nding_N3wb said:

Well, it has to do with the internet and internet freedom. That's why it's here and not off-topic.

And because something of this caliber is a pretty big deal as it could be the first step in deciding what is considered "truth" by a country at whole.

The administration of a given country could start limiting internet access to information that they want the population to believe in, thus controlling mass belief and opinion.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

7 hours ago, Orangeator said:

There are also many studies done by universities and phd students into the efficacy of wikipedia.   I am trying to find it, but there was one where they intentionally changed a random number of wiki pages across all different topics and then timed to see how long the information would take to be corrected.  The longest from memory was 1 day.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

18 hours ago, N3v3r3nding_N3wb said:

I only know how to do it on desktop. I'm at school now, so I won't be able to fix it now. I won't be able to for 11-12 hours, probably.

I clicked "remove formatting" when I pasted it in. Does that not work on mobile?

apparently not.

Welp