144Hz vs 60Hz

Watashi

is 144Hz for intense on your hardware in any way shape or form then 60 hz?

7 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

For gaming, your PC has to generate over 2x the frames, so yes

Not if you have your framerates uncapped. Having a lower hz monitor doesn't give any sort of benefit to the lifespan of your hardware. I would say your response is quite misleading.

8 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

yes. especially in gaming (which is really the only time 60hz+ monitors are useful) the increased framerates require significantly more powerful hardware in order to reach (assuming similar resolutions and graphical settings inside the games). For example, BF1 could be played at 60+ fps with something like an i5 7500/R5 1500 + GTX 1060 6GB/RX480 with ultra settings just fine.... want 144+ fps out of the same game with the same settings (assuming this is 1080p)? better get yourself a gtx 1080ti + 7700k/RX1600x (or better) and overclock it.

12 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

If you have hardware that is capable of outputting alot higher than 60 fps then a 144hz monitor is generally a good idea. It's not going to shorten the lifespan of your hardware so no need to worry about how intense it is on your hardware.

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Not if you have your framerates uncapped. Having a lower hz monitor doesn't give any sort of benefit to the lifespan of your hardware. I would say your response is quite misleading.

I thought the question was whether it was harder for a PC to run not whether it would shorten its lifespan.

Just now, SCGazelle said:

I thought the question was whether it was harder for a PC to run not whether it would shorten its lifespan.

Yeah I'm questioning what the original intent of the question was now. It seems unclear as to what they are asking.

Just now, SCGazelle said:

I don't blame you. the question isn't exactly written in English xD

3 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

Also technically you don't have to run games at 144 fps on a 144hz monitor which is why I thought the question was different.

When it comes to gaming higher FPS or hz is always the goal, but just slapping a 144 hz monitor on your system doesn't mean you will get that in a game.  Its up to your video card and other components to keep up with that monitor.  Now when it comes to just windows and office most any modern machine will out put the 144hz but that is point less unless you want supper smooth mouse movements.   :)  So if your not gaming I would not worry about the monitor having a high refresh rate, but one the same note there is not reason to avoid one if it has the other features you need.  its not going to slow down or eat up your cpu gpu bandwidth too much.  If in some weird case it is you can manual set the refresh rate in the settings.  

You need a system that is powerful enough to make use of it, or be willing to sacrifice some visual quality.  I tried to talk a friend out of spending $300 on a 144hz monitor, but he wouldn't listen.  Now he's running games at ~60fps on a 144hz monitor because he doesn't want to use anything besides Ultra.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

you could always run a little above 60fps on a 144hz monitor. even a slight jump from 60hz to for example 75hz is a noticeable change in smoothness and motion clarity. with that said not that many games will run or accept 144hz, but most competitive games do and usually that's what most buy a 144hz monitor for. 

Would getting 60 frames per second, be and harder at 144Hz? If so why? To my understanding it wouldn't be any harder for my PC to render 60 frames a second at the same resolution. 

What is your questions? Post seems all over the place. 

If your computer can render 144 frames per second, then it will have no problem with 60.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

No. The refresh rate of a monitor remains independent to the frames rendered by the PC. Switching the refresh rate won't affect how many frames a PC can render.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

..............the two are (more or less) completely unrelated..... Hz is how many times your monitor refreshes the image being displayed. FPS is how many frames per second your computer is rendering. If you have a 60Hz display, you can be running at a higher fps, but you will only see the 60fps, because that is all your display will allow. If you have a 144Hz display, it will show up to 144 frames each second.

4 hours ago, tp95112 said:

What is your questions? Post seems all over the place. 

I want to get a 144 Hz Monitor, my current monitor is 60 Hz. Both will be 1080p. Can I achieve the same frame rate, and different refresh rates? 

I dont undestand the question either. But if you were talking about a 144Hz display, no It isnt harder to get 60 fps at a 144Hz display. If you were talking about a pc capable of 144Hz, no again, It wouldnt be harder to get 60 fps.

Edit: Yes, as I said before.

1 minute ago, Doomerson said:

I want to get a 144 Hz Monitor, my current monitor is 60 Hz. Both will be 1080p. Can I achieve the same frame rate, and different refresh rates? 

Just now, Doomerson said:

If you can achieve 144 fps in the game then you are fine. The 144hz will run at 144 while the 60 stays at 60.

The refresh rate is the maximum number of times your monitor can pull up a frame. 144Hz = 144fps.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

4 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

No. The refresh rate of a monitor remains independent to the frames rendered by the PC. Switching the refresh rate won't affect how many frames a PC can render.

Okay, but to take advantage of 144Hz, it would be ideal to have a high-end set up, to see the difference in triple A titles, correct?

Okay, but to take advantage of 144Hz, it would be ideal to have a high-end set up, to see the difference in triple A titles, correct?

It doesn't matter which game you're playing.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

Just now, Doomerson said:

Yes It would. But since your display will outlast your PC by 2 or 3 times (and then It could be your secondary display) If you can afford a 144Hz display, I suggest you to do It and youll upgrade the rest of your HW later.

To take a full advantage of a 144Hz refresh rate, it would be ideal for the PC to deliver 144FPS. But really, if your PC can render about 100FPS, then that's good enough.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder