What are the risks of overclocking a Graphics cards?

Amateur Gamer

So i have an Msi gtx 1070 quicksilver and i'd like to try out overclocking if possible.

I don't really have experience with overclocking. So far i have only overclocked my cpu (i5 6600k to 4,5 GHz) but this seems much more complicated.

I'd like to know what could happen and just in general what should i not mess with.

I heard that the Msi afterburner is a great overclocking tool but if you guys have any other suggestions feel free to tell me :)

you heard right, use Msi afterbuner, Only thing you need to is adjust core and memory sliders however you wish :)

h.PNG

Main PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | RAM:Corsair LPX 3200 mhz (16Gb) 

Mobo:ASUS Strix B550-F Wifi | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z

Case: Sharkoon Nightshark RGB| Storage: 500 GB 970 EVO Plus 1 TB WD blue 500 GB Samsung HDD

Monitor: iiyama G-Master G2470HSU-B1 165Hz

Powersupply: Be Quiet straight Power 10 500 watt

Main Laptop

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H | RAM: Team group 16 GB 2666 mhz

GPU: RTX 2060 (MXM swappable)

Monitor: 1080p 120Hz

Storage: 2x 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (no raid)

Second Laptop

CPU: Intel Core I5 1235u,  RAM: Samsung 8 GB 3200 mhz

GPU: IrisXe 80 eu

Storage: 512 GB WD Digital SN530 NVMe

Phone:

Xiaomi MI 11

Work Phone:

Galaxy A50

if you push a gpu to far, by either over volting or pushing the core clock too high, your computer will just crash or bluescreen.

as long as theres enough cooling and the gpu doesnt get excessively hot (it will throttle regardless at that point) then youve nothing to worry about.

ive always used afterburner combines with kombuster. the fuzzy ring of death is great.

overclocking a gpu is super easy. just increase the core frequency by 5 to 10mhz at a time and run a stress test. keep increasing till it crashes, when i does try increasing the voltage a little and see if it still crashes. if it does, back it off 5 to 10mhz and run a stress test for an hour or so.

monitor temps and see if its throttling itself.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

5 minutes ago, Amateur Gamer said:

So i have an Msi gtx 1070 quicksilver and i'd like to try out overclocking if possible.

I don't really have experience with overclocking. So far i have only overclocked my cpu (i5 6600k to 4,5 GHz) but this seems much more complicated.

I'd like to know what could happen and just in general what should i not mess with.

I heard that the Msi afterburner is a great overclocking tool but if you guys have any other suggestions feel free to tell me :)

Overclocking a GPU carries more or less the same risks as overclocking a CPU. Life span, power and heat. Life span really isn't going to be affected much since you'll have ditched that card long before it actually dies. The GPU may also tun tad hotter and consume a bit more power, but these are easily solved with aftermarket air or water. 

If you want to overclock the GPU properly, take in steps of 13MHz. The reason why 13MHz is used is because the GPU is binned in steps of 13. So 13, 26, 39 and so on and so forth. This was introduced in Kepler and has stuck ever since. 

13MHz steps in a 780 Ti BIOS: http://www.overclock.net/t/1438886/official-nvidia-gtx-780-ti-owners-club/1960#post_21192200

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

16 minutes ago, Badger906 said:

if you push a gpu to far, by either over volting or pushing the core clock too high, your computer will just crash or bluescreen.

as long as theres enough cooling and the gpu doesnt get excessively hot (it will throttle regardless at that point) then youve nothing to worry about.

ive always used afterburner combines with kombuster. the fuzzy ring of death is great.

overclocking a gpu is super easy. just increase the core frequency by 5 to 10mhz at a time and run a stress test. keep increasing till it crashes, when i does try increasing the voltage a little and see if it still crashes. if it does, back it off 5 to 10mhz and run a stress test for an hour or so.

monitor temps and see if its throttling itself.

What do i do if my pc crashes or bluescreens?

10 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Overclocking a GPU carries more or less the same risks as overclocking a CPU. Life span, power and heat. Life span really isn't going to be affected much since you'll have ditched that card long before it actually dies. The GPU may also tun tad hotter and consume a bit more power, but these are easily solved with aftermarket air or water. 

If you want to overclock the GPU properly, take in steps of 13MHz. The reason why 13MHz is used is because the GPU is binned in steps of 13. So 13, 26, 39 and so on and so forth. This was introduced in Kepler and has stuck ever since. 

13MHz steps in a 780 Ti BIOS: http://www.overclock.net/t/1438886/official-nvidia-gtx-780-ti-owners-club/1960#post_21192200

Are there any good Youtubers or maybe articles who know a lot or focus on overclocking?

4 minutes ago, Amateur Gamer said:

What do i do if my pc crashes or bluescreens?

Just lower the overclock slightly and test again 

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Just now, Badger906 said:

Just lower the overclock slightly and test again 

Oh so i can just boot back up no problem?

That's reassuring to hear.

If you don't touch the voltages then there's very little risk associated with it.  Just keep tweaking the core and memory in MSI afterburner till you get something that runs as stable/quiet as you want.

If you start messing with the voltage or power limit I would start googling the specific card you want to OC and see what voltage people generally recommend.

1 minute ago, Biggerboot said:

Your card is only hitting those settings under load so it's fine.

I see...thanks! :)

56 minutes ago, Amateur Gamer said:

Are there any good Youtubers or maybe articles who know a lot or focus on overclocking?

Overclock.Net should have a GTX 1070 OC article or at least a Pascal OC article. You can use OC settings from a different manufacturer since most cards are going to easily hit 2000MHz boost.

Alternatively you can ask people in the Unigine Valley and Superposition thread for settings to try out. Its more active than the 3DMark thread. 

I think that the only way to really learn how to OC is to just do it yourself especially with how simple GPU OC actually is.  Add clock until it show instability by or artifacting crashing and then add some voltage if you want to go really fast. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 hour ago, Amateur Gamer said:

nothing can happen other than the directX display driver crash or system lock uo...in which case just reboot and try with slightly lower values.

i would indeed use afterburner.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

How much does it Boost by itself without any OC values added?

Is it really worth it when GPU Boost 3.0 does in fact overclock the card to "near its max"......90% of your Overclock right off the bat? <-- guesstimate number

Prior to Boost3.0 I see many reasons to OC NV-GPU's, but since GPU Boost does most of it for you, people may think they are going to get more than they do get.

Absolutely a person to person perspective.... but if its boosting to 1850-1950Mhz on its own, I'd be happy with that as is when OC's only add another 100Mhz or so and only gaining a few FPS.

#EachtoHisOwnMethods

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

None as long as you don't touch vcore

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

17 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

How much does it Boost by itself without any OC values added?

Is it really worth it when GPU Boost 3.0 does in fact overclock the card to "near its max"......90% of your Overclock right off the bat? <-- guesstimate number

Prior to Boost3.0 I see many reasons to OC NV-GPU's, but since GPU Boost does most of it for you, people may think they are going to get more than they do get.

Absolutely a person to person perspective.... but if its boosting to 1850-1950Mhz on its own, I'd be happy with that as is when OC's only add another 100Mhz or so and only gaining a few FPS.

#EachtoHisOwnMethods

I ran Unigine Heaven and got these results.

Edit: I'm using the OC mode in the gaming app.

Heaven_2017-04-25_20-11-57.thumb.jpg.b48be94a4d7e1d48d4b44ade48664b83.jpg

Edited by Amateur Gamer