SK Hynix confirms GDDR6 in 2018

NumLock21

Why do people care so much about what kind of vram is in their GPU's? Vram speed rarely is ever a bottleneck as has been shown time and time again.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

16 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Yeah but the customers on that side don't know hbm is made by amd.

:P

Partly they developed in partnership with Hynix the first gen HBM. Second Gen was collaborated with multiple companies with Samsung and Hynix being two of the manufacturers.

1 hour ago, Hunter259 said:

Why do people care so much about what kind of vram is in their GPU's? Vram speed rarely is ever a bottleneck as has been shown time and time again.

There's another factor to consider with HBM - space taken up. Not only is the bandwidth higher, but it's also integrated in with the GPU package, allowing for potentially shorter PCBs, or more robust, larger components to be placed on it. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

53 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

There's another factor to consider with HBM - space taken up. Not only is the bandwidth higher, but it's also integrated in with the GPU package, allowing for potentially shorter PCBs, or more robust, larger components to be placed on it. 

It also causes increased complexity in the GPU Die which could increase cost and decrease reliability in the short term. For desktop GPU's, I don't see much point. Mobile is a completely different story however.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

2 hours ago, Hunter259 said:

It also causes increased complexity in the GPU Die which could increase cost and decrease reliability in the short term. For desktop GPU's, I don't see much point. Mobile is a completely different story however.

Which is a valid argument, but it's not inherently just about bandwidth. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Which is a valid argument, but it's not inherently just about bandwidth. 

Power consumption is another big plus with HBM.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 hours ago, Hunter259 said:

Cos people are dumb. Even if G6 memory is more than sufficient they'll get mad cos no HBM. I don't care if I have SDRAM as long as it's fast enough to keep the GPU fed. The only real advantage to HBM is smaller surface area used for smaller GPU's.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

13 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

HBM2 probably costs similar amounts to GDDR5X.

Mmm. I have systematically heard/read that HBM was more expensive, hence why GDDR5/GDDR5X was used everywhere except at the highest end. Are you sure of that?

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Mmm. I have systematically heard/read that HBM was more expensive, hence why GDDR5/GDDR5X was used everywhere except at the highest end. Are you sure of that?

Considering the way it has to be implemented plus the low availability plus the cost of the few graphics cards that use it-it definitely cost more than GDDR5 and GDDR5X. Part of the low availability however would be due to use outside of gaming in compute orientated cards and other products which reuire high memory bandwidth with low power consumption. 

PMSL

I would imagine including HBM decreases the yield rate. Or at the very least, it doesn't allow for much flexibility. Who knows, HBM could be the future, but at the moment, I'm thinking it's only useful on the top end and will only trickle its way down once GPU designers hit a wall trying to squeeze everything they can out of GDDR.

A lot of people were all "lol, nvidia, ur drunk, go home" when they saw the GTX 980 having a "measely" 256-bit bus while AMD was touting their 4096-bit HBM bus on the R9 Fury. I guess it's like they say, it's not the size of the thing, but how you use it.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I would imagine including HBM decreases the yield rate. Or at the very least, it doesn't allow for much flexibility. Who knows, HBM could be the future, but at the moment, I'm thinking it's only useful on the top end and will only trickle its way down once GPU designers hit a wall trying to squeeze everything they can out of GDDR.

A lot of people were all "lol, nvidia, ur drunk, go home" when they saw the GTX 980 having a "measely" 256-bit bus while AMD was touting their 4096-bit HBM bus on the R9 Fury. I guess it's like they say, it's not the size of the thing, but how you use it.

And with Nvidia having better compression...

PMSL

48 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

HBM2 can scale better in terms of being more available for mid range products.

Since the new offerings with 8GB HBM2 only requires 2 DRAM modules out of 4.  And for 4GB cards this only means a single DRAM module. Significantly cheaper than a 4096 bit fully enabled package.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),