IPS vs TN (question)

Jadan

Hey there guys,

This is my very first time on the LTT Forums but I am an avid viewer of the channel. I would like to ask a question regarding the title of this post which states IPS or TN. I am in the process of buying all my parts of my first gaming rig and was stuck on what monitor to buy. I've got 2 choices which both are around the price tag of £90 ($113) and they both come with HDMI ports and are both 1920 x 1080 in resolution. I'll state the names and provide the links on amazon for both the monitors. I'll also provide the link of my rig if that helps at all. I'd say I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to computer components but I'm not very informed with the advanced parts of monitors. Help would be much appreciated, thanks guys!

AOC I2276VWM vs BenQ GL2250HM

BenQ Amazon Link: http://amzn.to/2oENqZ5

AOC Amazon Link: http://amzn.to/2oPQyDs

PCPartPicker: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/xQgGD8 (And I do know that the GTX 1050 would be a much better choice but unfortunately the first thing I bought was the GPU and I got it when I was uninformed of the 10series, I'm stupid)

QUOTE ME FOR A REPLY.

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600  CPU Cooler - Wraith Spire  Motherboard -  ASRock AB350M Pro4  RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series (2x4) DDR4-2400  Graphics Card - Asus STRIX GTX 950 (upgrade in future)  Power Supply - Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze  Storage - WD Blue 1TB | PNY 120GB 2.5" SSD  Case - Fractal Design Core 2300

"Sometimes you must hurt in order to know, fall in order to grow and lose in order to gain, because life’s greatest lessons are learnt through pain.

I would go IPS any day because of more accurate colors (the difference is huge). I don't need more than 60Hz nor the very quick response time.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

IPS gives better colors and better viewing angles, but worse response times (it's 'slower'). The response time difference is so little, I would say go for IPS if you care any amount about good colors.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

IPS For sure unless you really want low response time and such. Also looking at your build, the 8350 not the best choice and offer no upgrade path.

Just now, tp95112 said:

IPS For sure unless you really want low response time and such. Also looking at your build, the 8350 not the best choice and offer no upgrade path.

Thanks for the input! And regarding to your 8350 comment, I was looking at Ryzen but from what I could tell the motherboards that support it aren't plentiful and I'm not looking to go with Intel.

QUOTE ME FOR A REPLY.

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600  CPU Cooler - Wraith Spire  Motherboard -  ASRock AB350M Pro4  RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series (2x4) DDR4-2400  Graphics Card - Asus STRIX GTX 950 (upgrade in future)  Power Supply - Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze  Storage - WD Blue 1TB | PNY 120GB 2.5" SSD  Case - Fractal Design Core 2300

"Sometimes you must hurt in order to know, fall in order to grow and lose in order to gain, because life’s greatest lessons are learnt through pain.

3 minutes ago, Minibois said:

IPS gives better colors and better viewing angles, but worse response times (it's 'slower'). The response time difference is so little, I would say go for IPS if you care any amount about good colors.

Thanks for the input! My only query is that the TN monitor has freedom to rotate and such but I doubt that would make a huge difference right?

QUOTE ME FOR A REPLY.

4 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

I would go IPS any day because of more accurate colors (the difference is huge). I don't need more than 60Hz nor the very quick response time.

Thanks for the input!

QUOTE ME FOR A REPLY.

5 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

IPS over TN any day unless you are a pro-CSGO player who makes millions. 

Haha, thanks for the input!

QUOTE ME FOR A REPLY.

4 minutes ago, Jadan said:

Thanks for the input! My only query is that the TN monitor has freedom to rotate and such but I doubt that would make a huge difference right?

The AOC and BenQ can do the same, they can both 'look more up and down'. 

Anyways, the AOC has a VESA mount, so if you ever wanted to put it on a custom stand you can.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Minibois said:

The AOC and BenQ can do the same, they can both 'look more up and down'. 

Anyways, the AOC has a VESA mount, so if you ever wanted to put it on a custom stand you can.

Ahh, thanks. I will go for the AOC then.

QUOTE ME FOR A REPLY.

20 minutes ago, Jadan said:

I did not check your monitors and I still won't because I am too lazy and I admit that.

First of all if you are a professional e-sports gamer, I guess that you already know that TN is the best for you because of the reduced time of response.

Now look. Since last two months I've been using a TN Panel that I got used to it. A 17" LCD Daewoo monitor. It was not that bad. I could even say that you could see properly the image even at higher angles. I just want to be honest with you. Now I am using a 27" (from 17" to 27" believe me that it is REALLY a BIG difference) with an IPS panel and it is awesome. Has some great colors, natural colors I could say, but do you know what makes the difference between IPS and TN?  >>>> PRICE <<<< That's the answer. The price. A 27" TN Panel monitor might be with even 100$ cheaper than a 27" with IPS Panel. What does that mean? Some could think that IPS is for more "sophisticated persons". Mnah, that's not true. Some might think that others do not know how to spend their money, thing that might be true but I believe that IPS is made for people that love to see the colors as they truly are, even in games without caring about that "little delay" offered by the time of response(that doesn't even exist... human eye can't really make the difference between 1ms, 5ms or even 8ms) About the hertz rate? Well nowadays since the technology evolved so much you could easily find an IPS with 144hz( but it is really expensive ) or a TN with 240, that ain't a big deal too.

Now all in all.

If you want true colors go with the IPS Panel.
If you do not want to see these true colors or if you don't have the budget necessary for the IPS Panel, simply go with the TN.

Go with the one you like the most and that could offer the features you want/need for it. Cause I've been in the same trouble as you and I bought exactly what I wanted without asking for help from the others. ^^

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

1 minute ago, R3ep3r said:

I did not check your monitors and I still won't because I am too lazy and I admit that.

First of all if you are a professional e-sports gamer, I guess that you already know that TN is the best for you because of the reduced time of response.

Now look. Since last two months I've been using a TN Panel that I got used to it. A 17" LCD Daewoo monitor. It was not that bad. I could even say that you could see properly the image even at higher angles. I just want to be honest with you. Now I am using a 27" (from 17" to 27" believe me that it is REALLY a BIG difference) with an IPS panel and it is awesome. Has some great colors, natural colors I could say, but do you know what makes the difference between IPS and TN?  >>>> PRICE <<<< That's the answer. The price. A 27" TN Panel monitor might be with even 100$ cheaper than a 27" with IPS Panel. What does that mean? Some could think that IPS is for more "sophisticated persons". Mnah, that's not true. Some might think that others do not know how to spend their money, thing that might be true but I believe that IPS is made for people that love to see the colors as they truly are, even in games without caring about that "little delay" offered by the time of response(that doesn't even exist... human eye can't really make the difference between 1ms, 5ms or even 8ms) About the hertz rate? Well nowadays since the technology evolved so much you could easily find an IPS with 144hz( but it is really expensive ) or a TN with 240, that ain't a big deal too.

Now all in all.

If you want true colors go with the IPS Panel.
If you do not want to see these true colors or if you don't have the budget necessary for the IPS Panel, simply go with the TN.

Wow! Thanks for the long response. As to your price comment, where I live (UK) both the monitors are on sale and the IPS one is just £1 ($1.25) more than the TN one. I am a CSGO player and I do believe that a higher refresh rate will aid you in game but to be frank I don't really care, if what I see is less than a second delayed, I doubt it would hinder me. I am leaning towards the IPS since it's not that much more expensive than the TN (it's £89. like $115 or something) and that, like you said, it's more true to colour. Thanks again for the detailed comment.

QUOTE ME FOR A REPLY.

One thing to point out: TN is not less accurate color-wise than IPS. As proof of this, here is TFT Central's comparison of ASUS's PG278Q, a TN panel monitor, vs other monitors regarding color accuracy:

comparison_1.png

A "perfect" score is having a gamma of 2.2. Note that none of the Dell Ultrasharp monitors have a rating of 2.2.

The problem with TN panels is color shifting when viewing them off center. If you sit perfect still and don't move the monitor around, this is probably fine. But if you need to have mobility, the color shifting can be annoying with TN panels.

EDIT: Here's the DeltaE performance, which lower is better.

comparison_2.png

When I bought my first IPS panel I couldn't believe the differences, I have no intention in ever having another TN panel, also IPS panels nowadays can have decent refresh rates, my 29UM68-P for instance is an IPS panel running on 80hz.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The problem with TN panels is color shifting when viewing them off center. If you sit perfect still and don't move the monitor around, this is probably fine. But if you need to have mobility, the color shifting can be annoying with TN panels.

The trick is that you are always looking at your monitor at an angle, because screens are spread out over an area. Even if you sit right in the center, the edges of the screen will be at an angle from your eyes. Just moving your head to look at one part of the screen more closely can make the color change on that part and on the other parts, which is why TN is totally unsuitable for professional work regardless of the accuracy on paper, because that accuracy cannot realistically be maintained on all parts of the screen at all times.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

One thing to point out: TN is not less accurate color-wise than IPS. As proof of this, here is TFT Central's comparison of ASUS's PG278Q, a TN panel monitor, vs other monitors regarding color accuracy:

comparison_1.png

A "perfect" score is having a gamma of 2.2. Note that none of the Dell Ultrasharp monitors have a rating of 2.2.

Thanks for the input! From the graph that you've provided, I can see that the TN is just slightly better than the IPS (although I may be misunderstanding the values) and the corrected colour shifting would be appreciated for just a small price boost,

QUOTE ME FOR A REPLY.

10 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

When I bought my first IPS panel I couldn't believe the differences, I have no intention in ever having another TN panel, also IPS panels nowadays can have decent refresh rates, my 29UM68-P for instance is an IPS panel running on 80hz.

Was it that great of a difference? Wow. Thanks for the input!

QUOTE ME FOR A REPLY.

Just now, Jadan said:

Was it that great of a difference? Wow. Thanks for the input!

It sure was, one of the main pros is being able to still see fairly well the screen despite having an intensive source of light like an open windows + sun... the reflection is way smaller on the IPS panels.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

It sure was, one of the main pros is being able to still see fairly well the screen despite having an intensive source of light like an open windows + sun... the reflection is way smaller on the IPS panels.

Wow. Thanks! I'm definitely going for the IPS now.

QUOTE ME FOR A REPLY.

3 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

The trick is that you are always looking at your monitor at an angle, because screens are spread out over an area. Even if you sit right in the center, the edges of the screen will be at an angle from your eyes. Just moving your head to look at one part of the screen more closely can make the color change on that part and on the other parts, which is why TN is totally unsuitable for professional work regardless of the accuracy on paper, because that accuracy cannot realistically be maintained on all parts of the screen at all times.

Then that's more of a "select the right tool for the job."

However I wanted to point out that by TN panels aren't "color inaccurate" in the vein of saying that reds are going to look like orange or something.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

However I wanted to point out that by TN panels aren't "color inaccurate" in the vein of saying that reds are going to look like orange or something.

Yeah I fully understand that but I mean even if the IPS has a slight colour improvement I'd go for it since the price difference is so small being only £1 more ($1.25)

QUOTE ME FOR A REPLY.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Just don't want to give the impression that "TN is just as good for color work as IPS after all".

Just now, Jadan said:

Wow. Thanks! I'm definitely going for the IPS now.

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, you can get 1440p 144hz IPS G sync

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ttnG3C/acer-monitor-xb271hubmiprz

If not, there's this

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gZL7YJ/dell-monitor-s2415h

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

1 minute ago, N1ghtshade said:

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket,

He is shopping for a 90 pounds monitor I doubt he has such budget... Although should he be willing to stretch up a bit for a better monitor/experience this is the one I would highly recommend:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/CrvZxr/lg-29um68-p-290-60hz-monitor-29um68-p

Although it says 60hz I have two of those running on 80hz, it is probably the best ultra-wide 2560x1080p there is, 29inch has the sweet spot on pixel density, IPS panel of 5ms GTG and like I said great refresh rate... for someone looking for an affordable ultra-wide experience you can't go wrong with it.

Personal Desktop":