IPS vs TN (question)

Jadan
1 minute ago, N1ghtshade said:

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, you can get 1440p 144hz IPS G sync

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ttnG3C/acer-monitor-xb271hubmiprz

If not, there's this

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gZL7YJ/dell-monitor-s2415h

Woah, that Acer monitor is more expensive than my entire build :P The reason I picked out those 2 monitors was because they were in my price range being £80-£100 (like $100-$130) and I frankly don't have enough money to put in for the dell monitor. I'm a 14 year old with no source of income and all I have is the money I've been saving haha

QUOTE ME FOR A REPLY.

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600  CPU Cooler - Wraith Spire  Motherboard -  ASRock AB350M Pro4  RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series (2x4) DDR4-2400  Graphics Card - Asus STRIX GTX 950 (upgrade in future)  Power Supply - Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze  Storage - WD Blue 1TB | PNY 120GB 2.5" SSD  Case - Fractal Design Core 2300

"Sometimes you must hurt in order to know, fall in order to grow and lose in order to gain, because life’s greatest lessons are learnt through pain.

Just now, Jadan said:

Woah, that Acer monitor is more expensive than my entire build :P The reason I picked out those 2 monitors was because they were in my price range being £80-£100 (like $100-$130) and I frankly don't have enough money to put in for the dell monitor. I'm a 14 year old with no source of income and all I have is the money I've been saving haha

I know you'd have to be bill gates haha :P I figured it'd be too expensive, that's why I recommended the other one

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

The speed difference between ips and tn is so small, you likely won't feel a difference. I know I don't. The improvement in color and viewing angles is well worth the ever-so-slight response time sacrifice.

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

He is shopping for a 90 pounds monitor I doubt he has such budget... Although should he be willing to stretch up a bit for a better monitor/experience this is the one I would highly recommend:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/CrvZxr/lg-29um68-p-290-60hz-monitor-29um68-p

Although it says 60hz I have two of those running on 80hz, it is probably the best ultra-wide 2560x1080p there is, 29inch has the sweet spot on pixel density, IPS panel of 5ms GTG and like I said great refresh rate... for someone looking for an affordable ultra-wide experience you can't go wrong with it.

I know I was pretty much joking when I suggested the predator

And yeah, but some don't like ultrawide. Understandably so. I'd get one but there's not much support in games for it.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

He is shopping for a 90 pounds monitor I doubt he has such budget... Although should he be willing to stretch up a bit for a better monitor/experience this is the one I would highly recommend:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/CrvZxr/lg-29um68-p-290-60hz-monitor-29um68-p

Although it says 60hz I have two of those running on 80hz, it is probably the best ultra-wide 2560x1080p there is, 29inch has the sweet spot on pixel density, IPS panel of 5ms GTG and like I said great refresh rate... for someone looking for an affordable ultra-wide experience you can't go wrong with it.

Like I said in my reply to Nightshade, I don't have the extra money to spend and I honestly can't afford anything that's above £100 right now. But I can always save up more money to upgrade to that monitor you've specified so I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thanks for all the help!

QUOTE ME FOR A REPLY.

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600  CPU Cooler - Wraith Spire  Motherboard -  ASRock AB350M Pro4  RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series (2x4) DDR4-2400  Graphics Card - Asus STRIX GTX 950 (upgrade in future)  Power Supply - Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze  Storage - WD Blue 1TB | PNY 120GB 2.5" SSD  Case - Fractal Design Core 2300

"Sometimes you must hurt in order to know, fall in order to grow and lose in order to gain, because life’s greatest lessons are learnt through pain.

2 minutes ago, TacticlTwinkie said:

The speed difference between ips and tn is so small, you likely won't feel a difference. I know I don't. The improvement in color and viewing angles is well worth the ever-so-slight response time sacrifice.

Exactly what I am thinking. This is why I'm going for the IPS since it's a really slight price difference to the TN.

QUOTE ME FOR A REPLY.

Just now, N1ghtshade said:

I'd get one but there's not much support in games for it.

Not much support on E-Sports because every single new game I have been trying lately fully supports it, even indie ones on steam... The one thing that bothers me the most about it would only be youtube videos... there are extensions that will remove the black bars by adjusting the screen but still not an entirely native solution.

About the issue with E-Sports, most devs say it wouldn't be fair some having extra view over the standard 16:9... kinda the hypocritical argument in my opinion since nobody gives a shit if someone is playing on 240hz vs 60hz.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Jadan said:

Exactly what I am thinking. This is why I'm going for the IPS since it's a really slight price difference to the TN.

Yeah, get the IPS. The only person I know who would actually need the super low TN response times would be my friend who plays CS GO obsessively and is a super twitchy global elite haha :P

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Not much support on E-Sports because every single new game I have been trying lately fully supports it, even indie ones on steam... The one thing that bothers me the most about it would only be youtube videos... there are extensions that will remove the black bars by adjusting the screen but still not an entirely native solution.

About the issue with E-Sports, most devs say it wouldn't be fair some having extra view over the standard 16:9... kinda the hypocritical argument in my opinion since nobody gives a shit if someone is playing on 240hz vs 60hz.

True. When I tried CS GO on an ultrawide it completely fucked up the HUD, and it looked weird, and was mostly a disadvantage.

And true, pretty ironic tbh

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

2 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Yeah, get the IPS. The only person I know who would actually need the super low TN response times would be my friend who plays CS GO obsessively and is a super twitchy global elite haha :P

Haha. I do play CSGO but not as much as I used to, and it doesn't change the fact I can still play it without the low response time right? :P This is coming from a person who's spent most of his life playing on Intel Integrated Graphics with a 15 inch laptop monitor. INTEL INTEGRATED GRAPHICS. :P

QUOTE ME FOR A REPLY.

Just now, Jadan said:

Haha. I do play CSGO but not as much as I used to, and it doesn't change the fact I can still play it without the low response time right? :P This is coming from a person who's spent most of his life playing on Intel Integrated Graphics. INTEL INTEGRATED GRAPHICS. :P

True. You don't need it unless you're super pro and it's the only game you play. And haha CS GO and tf2 are basically the only games you can run on integrated graphics :P  It's cause Volvo games are so well optimized

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, N1ghtshade said:

True. You don't need it unless you're super pro and it's the only game you play. And haha CS GO and tf2 are basically the only games you can run on integrated graphics :P  It's cause Volvo games are so well optimized

Yeah haha. I've somehow managed to tolerate running Dark Souls on 10fps. Honestly can't wait for the 950 and gaming on 60fps on medium (and in some cases high) settings.

QUOTE ME FOR A REPLY.

Just now, Jadan said:

Yeah haha. I've somehow managed to tolerate running Dark Souls on 10fps. Honestly can't wait for the 950 and gaming on 60fps on medium (and in some cases high) settings.

Nice! Sounds like the upgrade will be much needed :D

edit: When I get the money for my new build, i'm going with a 1080ti. Crysis 3 max settings 4k 60fps here I come :D

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Ill give a reply that average users can understand.

TN panels looks flat and dead when looking at it but reacts better to your mouse clicks.

IPS makes everything come alive like when you look at a demo tv at bestbuy but can sometimes feel sluggish if you play alot of fast reflexive games like csgo or even dota 2 if you are a hardcore gamer.