I5 7600 or R5 1600?

So these two cpus are at a similar price and was wondering which will perform better? I was leaning towards the ryzen cpu as theres more cores and its slightly newer. I also checked on userbench and the intel cpu scored higher. Is this because the ryzen chips arent as optimized? Am I better off just getting a i5? 

What are you going to do with your machine? Depending on the situation the R5 or the i5 could be better

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

If u use the CPU just for gaming then go for the i5 ,but if u are multitask then go with ryzen. But I recommend ryzen because of it 2 extra core and 8 extra thread.

(OVOb)

4 minutes ago, That Random Spork said:

So these two cpus are at a similar price and was wondering which will perform better? I was leaning towards the ryzen cpu as theres more cores and its slightly newer. I also checked on userbench and the intel cpu scored higher. Is this because the ryzen chips arent as optimized? Am I better off just getting a i5? 

I would say that the Ryzen 5 CPU is faster in non gaming applications than Intel's chip is in gaming applications.

So basically go for the Ryzen CPU. You're not gain much by going to Intel for gaming. It just doesn't make sense to go Intel.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 minutes ago, That Random Spork said:

So these two cpus are at a similar price and was wondering which will perform better?

Depends on what you're doing with them.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

What CPU are you upgrading from?  I would say, unless you're in dire need of a new CPU, wait and see how Ryzen 5 matures.  It has the potential to really blow away the competing i5's with further optimization.  On the other hand, it could end up being a shit platform that keeps getting worse over time.  

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

8 minutes ago, lawmen2002 said:

If u use the CPU just for gaming then go for the i5 ,but if u are multitask then go with ryzen. But I recommend ryzen because of it 2 extra core and 8 extra thread.

(OVOb)

Don't forget it possesses the same amount of cache regardless of the disabled cores. Also, on the Ryzen 5 it's 4 extra threads right?

7 minutes ago, lawmen2002 said:

(OVOb)

Yeah I have noticed that the I5 does better in gaming then the r5 but is that because of drivers and optimization as the ryzen cpus are new? Or is it just how it is. 

4 minutes ago, That Random Spork said:

Yeah I have noticed that the I5 does better in gaming then the r5 but is that because of drivers and optimization as the ryzen cpus are new? Or is it just how it is. 

Just because most games hotspot one, two or four cores.  Ryzen isn't as good (painting with a wide brush here) for single thread performance as Intel's chips.  If the game is more GPU intensive the gap shrinks a lot.

It seems if you manually OC the Ryzen chips the gap shrinks even further since it's a more uniform overclock than the XFR automatic overclocking option)

9 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Just because most games hotspot one, two or four cores.  Ryzen isn't as good (painting with a wide brush here) for single thread performance as Intel's chips.  If the game is more GPU intensive the gap shrinks a lot.

It seems if you manually OC the Ryzen chips the gap shrinks even further since it's a more uniform overclock than the XFR automatic overclocking option)

ah I didnt realise that the I5 had better single core performance. But yeah most games aren't meant for six cores or use them well but perhaps more games in he future will support more cores better so it will perform better? Anyways both seem good enough for what i need.

Or you wait until later in the year when Ryzen 3 releases and the Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X chips release.  Either way, there's a potential for a slight price drop.

1 minute ago, PineyCreek said:

Or you wait until later in the year when Ryzen 3 releases and the Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X chips release.  Either way, there's a potential for a slight price drop.

yeah im in no rush as this will be my first pc and i still need to save up a bit more lol.

2 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Wait. Intel drop prices? That's like Jerry Rice wide open running a slant and dropping the ball in the end zone.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

27 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Don't forget it possesses the same amount of cache regardless of the disabled cores. Also, on the Ryzen 5 it's 4 extra threads right?

In the case of the 1600, it's 8 as @lawmen2002 said, because it's 6 cores with SMT vs 4 cores no HT (so 12-4=8).

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

In the case of the 1600, it's 8 as @lawmen2002 said, because it's 6 cores with SMT vs 4 cores no HT (so 12-4=8).

Ah, that's what I get for assuming the Intel chip quoted had HT.

2 minutes ago, crzyces said:

Wait. Intel drop prices? That's like Jerry Rice wide open running a slant and dropping the ball in the end zone.

I did say POTENTIAL.  I have the POTENTIAL to gain superpowers tomorrow.

Ah, that's what I get for assuming the Intel chip quoted had HT.

You would have been right as well if it was the 400 or 1500x ;) 

7 minutes ago, That Random Spork said:

ah I didnt realise that the I5 had better single core performance. But yeah most games aren't meant for six cores or use them well but perhaps more games in he future will support more cores better so it will perform better? Anyways both seem good enough for what i need.

Another thing to consider is the "Turbo" on i5's only boosts 1 core (or 2, I'm not positive, but I believe 1). Games are often using 4 cores now, and more threads will help in the future. Ryzen is still in it's infancy, and OC'd it's narrowed the gaming gap and single performance gap to about 6%. That's pretty darn good. Motherboard manufacturers are also just starting. At the moment we are talking about a 3 year old arm wrestling with a 27 year old in his prime (using cpu years, kinda like dog years).

Intel may always overtake AMD in gaming, nut the current "Kaby Lake" will be silly slapped once Ryzen matures. Intel's Coffee will be a little faster, and once again, twice the price.

It is my opinion over the next 3 years Ryzen will dominate the gaming market. Remember, they also signed huge contracts with Microsoft and Sony, along with Intel to use Radeon graphics, so game companies will also be more inclined to optimize games for Ryzen and Radeon Technologies. Just sayin'.

Consumer fanboy,

Ces

3 minutes ago, crzyces said:

Another thing to consider is the "Turbo" on i5's only boosts 1 core (or 2, I'm not positive, but I believe 1). Games are often using 4 cores now, and more threads will help in the future. Ryzen is still in it's infancy, and OC'd it's narrowed the gaming gap and single performance gap to about 6%. That's pretty darn good. Motherboard manufacturers are also just starting. At the moment we are talking about a 3 year old arm wrestling with a 27 year old in his prime (using cpu years, kinda like dog years).

Intel may always overtake AMD in gaming, nut the current "Kaby Lake" will be silly slapped once Ryzen matures. Intel's Coffee will be a little faster, and once again, twice the price.

It is my opinion over the next 3 years Ryzen will dominate the gaming market. Remember, they also signed huge contracts with Microsoft and Sony, along with Intel to use Radeon graphics, so game companies will also be more inclined to optimize games for Ryzen and Radeon Technologies. Just sayin'.

Consumer fanboy,

Ces

Looks like i should wait for more things to come out

1 minute ago, crzyces said:

Consumer fanboy,

Ces

Intel needs the competition (in my opinion).  Competition and rivalry betters the breeds and helps the consumer.  Still not convinced for AMD on the GPU side (mainly because their software stinks even more than nVidia's does), but Ryzen is a compelling argument.

7 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

I did say POTENTIAL.  I have the POTENTIAL to gain superpowers tomorrow.

I heard Gigabyte has developed a chip that enhances visual acuity and reflexes based on Radeon architecture implanted directly into the cerebellum. Apparently it works phenomenal, but you continuously emit a loud humming noise ;)  . Unfortunately if you call tech support you cannot hear them over the buzzing of the microfan on the nanochip.

I heard Gigabyte has developed a chip that enhances visual acuity and reflexes based on Radeon architecture implanted directly into the cerebellum. Apparently it works phenomenal, but you continuously emit a loud humming noise ;)  . Unfortunately if you call tech support you cannot hear them over the buzzing of the microfan on the nanochip.

...you need to look up 3dfx's old Voodoo commercials.  They're pretty much right in line with that.

I also head that they are using the surrounding brain as a heat sink for the upgraded model. Excited   

...you need to look up 3dfx's old Voodoo commercials.  They're pretty much right in line with that.

Did you read my post in the first pc experience? I went off on a tangent about my first real gaming PC that was over 3 grand and rocked a Voodoo 3! Funny stuff. Well, my first PC was a C64, but that was my first Windows PC.

Just now, crzyces said:

Did you read my post in the first pc experience? I went off on a tangent about my first real gaming PC that was over 3 grand and rocked a Voodoo 3! Funny stuff. Well, my first PC was a C64, but that was my first Windows PC.

Heh...my first AGP card was a Voodoo 3 3500 with the proprietary pod.