1080 or 1080Ti?

Ilinx
Go to solution Solved by Lurick,

If you're only doing 1080p at 60Hz then you definitely do not need the 1080Ti, especially if you don't plan to upgrade monitors any time soon. Heck you would probably be good with a 1070 at that resolution.

The title says it all. What should I get? I'd love to play triple A titles but I only have a 1080p @60Hz monitor and I don't think I'm going to upgrade to a bigger resolution any time soon but the question still stands. 
My current build is as follows:

CPU: I5 7600k @ Stock (will OC later)

MOBO: ASUS PRIME Z270-A

CPU COOLER: Cryorig H5 Universal

RAM: 2 X 8 GB of DDR4 RAM @ 2400MHz

STORAGE: Western Digital HDD 1 TB

PSU: EVGA 650W 80+ Efficiency

GPU : ????

My problem is that I'm an impatient kind of guy and I'm gonna be able to order the 1080 this week on Friday but if I were to get the 1080Ti I would have to save up for another week. What should I do?

If you're only doing 1080p at 60Hz then you definitely do not need the 1080Ti, especially if you don't plan to upgrade monitors any time soon. Heck you would probably be good with a 1070 at that resolution.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

If you're not going to upgrade your monitor I don't really see the point in getting the 1080ti. Unless you really want to use supersampling.

If you really want it now, and maybe save the money to get a better monitor, buy the 1080.

If you can wait a couple of weeks and want the absolute best performance, and money isn't an issue, I'd get the 1080TI, it is more future proof I guess.

You have to decide what's more important to you, I don't think anyone here can answer that for you.

Does you mum know you're here?

Would the following statement be at least a little true?

"if I get a GPU that is completely overkill for my use-case, it is going to last a lot longer since it never really runs on full load"

Cheers for the advice guys! I'm gonna stay with the 1080 :) 

2 minutes ago, Tilman said:

Would the following statement be at least a little true?

"if I get a GPU that is completely overkill for my use-case, it is going to last a lot longer since it never really runs on full load"

No. It's a GPU, not a car.

Used cards perform the same as new ones. Also, unless you're overclocking and overvolting like crazy, or letting it run extremely hot, GPUs are fine running at full load.

Does you mum know you're here?

18 minutes ago, Ilinx said:

The title says it all. What should I get? I'd love to play triple A titles but I only have a 1080p @60Hz monitor and I don't think I'm going to upgrade to a bigger resolution any time soon but the question still stands. 
My current build is as follows:

CPU: I5 7600k @ Stock (will OC later)

MOBO: ASUS PRIME Z270-A

CPU COOLER: Cryorig H5 Universal

RAM: 2 X 8 GB of DDR4 RAM @ 2400MHz

STORAGE: Western Digital HDD 1 TB

PSU: EVGA 650W 80+ Efficiency

GPU : ????

My problem is that I'm an impatient kind of guy and I'm gonna be able to order the 1080 this week on Friday but if I were to get the 1080Ti I would have to save up for another week. What should I do?

If that is already built you really should have got a 7700k, if not I would drop to a 1070 and swap that cpu to a 7700k

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

GTX 1080 is absolutely overkill for 1080p gaming. RX 480 and GTX 1060 are your best bets in price/performance and will get you 1080p60fps at max settings in almost all games. If you want years of Ultra without changing GPU get a 1070. More than that for 1080p is a complete waste of money.

29 minutes ago, Ilinx said:

Cheers for the advice guys! I'm gonna stay with the 1080 :) 

Even that is way overkill, 1060/480 are much better value at 1080p 60hz. Even if you dont want to have to upgrade for several years, a 1070 will be plenty (You can buy a 1080, but that would just be lighting money on fire for nothing). 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

3 hours ago, Lurick said:

Hell a 1060 6gb or a RX480 is an even better choice for 1080p 60hz then just wait for next gen cards were you can get a GPU for probably around the same price as a 1070 when it launches that's slightly faster then a 1080ti.

3 hours ago, stealth80 said:

If that is already built you really should have got a 7700k, if not I would drop to a 1070 and swap that cpu to a 7700k

I7 for just 1080p 60hz gaming would be a waste.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.