4x 980Ti vs 2x 1080Ti

paps511
1 minute ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

When I thought my chip was dead a few days ago I didn't even price up a 7700k system 

I was pricing a 1700 and a x350 board with sli and 16gb ddr4 ram for like 500 pound 

honestly who gives a shit if it's 20 fps slower at 720p low lol 

it would easily max out my 2 cards at 1440p for gaming 

and fucking destroy a 7700k in everything else 

This guy right here, be like this guy. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

No I understand that it's a tiny bit better 

but a 7700k isn't gona swoop in and save the day if a heavily oced 4790k isn't up to the task in gaming 

yeah, exactly. intel are lazy as fuck with mainstream processors on both desktop and mobile (quad cores, anyway, the u series chips are more power efficient).

personally I'm waiting for board manufacturers to work out the kinks in ryzen mobos and then waiting for next year's refresh. 

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

yeah, exactly. intel are lazy as fuck with mainstream processors on both desktop and mobile (quad cores, anyway, the u series chips are more power efficient).

personally I'm waiting for board manufacturers to work out the kinks in ryzen mobos and then waiting for next year's refresh. 

My bro just picked up a 1700, it's running at 4GHz on the stock Wraith cooler. He is having RAM issues though because he just grabbed a random set of DDR4, not Ryzen compatable, so his RAM won't overclock. Live and learn. 

Just now, App4that said:

My bro just picked up a 1700, it's running at 4GHz on the stock Wraith cooler. He is having RAM issues though because he just grabbed a random set of DDR4, not Ryzen compatable, so his RAM won't overclock. Live and learn. 

Bump up CL and push frequency higher, Ryzen ignores timings for some stupid reason with infinity fabric

idk

Off topic but I had the choice between Fury Xfire and a single 980 Ti lightning, choose the Lightning and some fast RAM(2x8GB CL16 3600) as my i5 wouldn't handle the Xfire setup.

You would want a strong CPU for SLI regardless of what you choose. 

I sold @Vegetable my Fury and he ditched his GTX 580 SLI setup, he's happy with the less issues with shuttering or so. 

Just now, Droidbot said:

Bump up CL and push frequency higher, Ryzen ignores timings for some stupid reason with infinity fabric

He already did. He can do that and overclock his 3200 kit to 3000, or overclock the CPU. Not both. He's going to wait to see if a update comes out rather than jump on buying new RAM. He's running a 1080 ironically at 1080p and not having any issues making his old numbers using a old i5 and 970 look like crap. 

Yeah I know, I'm on him to step up his monitor LOL

5 minutes ago, App4that said:

Has he updated his motherboard bios because a lot of company's have fixed this issue now 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

Has he updated his motherboard bios because a lot of company's have fixed this issue now 

Yup. he bought the RAM before looking into it is all. The Ryzen compatable RAM doesn't have any issues. My money is on a compatability update hitting in a month or two. 

3 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

Off topic but I had the choice between Fury Xfire and a single 980 Ti lightning, choose the Lightning and some fast RAM(2x8GB CL16 3600) as my i5 wouldn't handle the Xfire setup.

You would want a strong CPU for SLI regardless of what you choose. 

I sold @Vegetable my Fury and he ditched his GTX 580 SLI setup, he's happy with the less issues with shuttering or so. 

I'd probly take xfire as the fury isn't far behind a 980ti and last time I looked at xfire it scaled better than sli 

even with a locked i5 u could crank up vsr/dsr and it would kill a single 980ti

also (1600) 

2 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

I'd probly take xfire as the fury isn't far behind a 980ti and last time I looked at xfire it scaled better than sli 

Most of the games I play are Gameworks titles, and Forza Horizon 3(main game) doesn't even support multi GPU configs.

3 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

The Furys have had some compatability issue recently. Like a 1060 beating at Fury X, bad. Not in a majority of games, but enough I'd steer clear of a Fury. 

3 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

If the children in the thread can go to their designated time outs that would be great. 

@paps511 just buy a Titan Xp xD 

XPp*

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

14 minutes ago, App4that said:

The Furys have had some compatability issue recently. Like a 1060 beating at Fury X, bad. Not in a majority of games, but enough I'd steer clear of a Fury. 

I don't no because Iv not looked into fury cards for ages 

if they were my only 2 choices when I was In the market for gpus last 

I'd have taken the furys 

also so though he was on about the fury x lol  people need to write crossfire god damn it 

also (1600) 

59 minutes ago, App4that said:

A 7700k isn't "outstripping" shit LOL All that's been proven is if you place the load on the CPU, the 7700k offers a few more fps. Who games with the load on the CPU? 

This is of course durring the launch of Ryzen, which HAS been getting updates that have increased the performance in games. Games made before Ryzen even exsisted. Now that Ryzen is in the wild, games will be made with it in m ind, and developers will optimize for Ryzen in the games releasing now. 

So hat's off to anyone who bought a 7700k, poor lads. 

So your argument is that when you introduce a bottleneck they both perform the same. Well... yeah, but that same argument can be used to justify the G4560. As long as you are GPU bound then it doesn't matter.

"All that's been proven is if you place the load on the CPU, the 7700k offers a few more fps" Oh how dare a CPU benchmark test CPU performance and then show that one CPU consistently delivers a higher framerate than the other! Anyone gaming at 144 hz and/or is using variable refresh rate is going to be putting quite a heavy stress on the CPU, especially as most of those people are also using 1080p high refresh rate displays because the graphical requirements for 1440p 144hz are even higher than 4K 60.

This insistence by Ryzen fanboys for benchmarks to limit performance first and then test CPUs to "prove" that both CPUs are the same is absurd. In any unconstrained gaming benchmark the 7700K is a superior gaming CPU. This rubbish about the 1700 being better despite objectively performing worse is just that -- rubbish.

Your second paragraph is something that would alarm me greatly if I were a Ryzen owner. It requires on Ryzen's marketshare being comparable with all Intel and Bulldozer derivatives so that devs take notice. I would rather get a 7700K for the same price as a 1700 and not have to rely on this gamble if I was looking for a gaming upgrade.

Saying "be like this guy" in that they didn't even look at the competition before dumping £500 and said "who cares" if they've bought a 20fps inferior product because it has a red badge on the box is not commendable.

38 minutes ago, App4that said:

He already did. He can do that and overclock his 3200 kit to 3000, or overclock the CPU. Not both. He's going to wait to see if a update comes out rather than jump on buying new RAM. He's running a 1080 ironically at 1080p and not having any issues making his old numbers using a old i5 and 970 look like crap. 

Yeah I know, I'm on him to step up his monitor LOL

OC the RAM and ignore the CPU in that case. The Infinity Fabric limitation makes the RAM speed much more important.

32 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

something, something, nope, something else

Come on now, let's not be silly or I'll break out the silly hats.

The G4560 creates a bottleneck at a completely different point than the 1700. You knew that though as you've seen the benchmarks. HUGE disparity between the bottleneck created by the G4560, and the few fps difference between the 7700k and 1700 or 1600 when the load is on the CPU. It's not 500 bucks brah, it's 220 bucks for a 1600.

Only Intel faithful will buy anything from them for years. When you can get much better performance for less from AMD, watch what happens. 

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Come on now, let's not be silly or I'll break out the silly hats.

The G4560 creates a bottleneck at a completely different point than the 1700. You knew that though as you've seen the benchmarks. HUGE disparity between the bottleneck created by the G4560, and the few fps difference between the 7700k and 1700 or 1600 when the load is on the CPU. It's not 500 bucks brah, it's 220 bucks for a 1600.

Only Intel faithful will buy anything from them for years. When you can get much better performance for less from AMD, watch what happens. 

Intel is the capitalists: 'cores for those who pay' 

AMD are the communists: 'cores for everybody'

idk

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Intel is the capitalists: 'cores for those who pay' 

AMD are the communists: 'cores for everybody'

AMD has seized the means of making cores LOL!!!! Big laugh, BIG laugh LOL

The way I see it, this is the justification for Ryzen besides benchmarks

• AM4 will be relevent for a while
  • Ryzen 5 (6-core) gives you the best value in its price range, and Ryzen in general is a great value if you're not strictly gaming.
  • Coffee lake will be upping the core count, hence optimization for more cores is almost a given at this point

I would still generally tell people to shop for the games you want to play today,  if you're strictly gaming.  To bring the topic back around full circle, this especially going for video cards because of the quick growth they're having compared to CPUs.  If you're an enthusiast, you're probably replacing your hardware constantly.  That's why I generally give that advice around these parts.

Ryzen is good, and it's probably gonna get better.  I think it's in a better place than FX was.  Coffee lake is going to be an interesting competitor though. 

Just now, Biggerboot said:

The way I see it, this is the justification for Ryzen besides benchmarks

• AM4 will be relevent for a while
  • Ryzen 5 (6-core) gives you the best value in its price range, and Ryzen in general is a great value if you're not strictly gaming.
  • Coffee lake will be upping the core count, hence optimization for more cores is almost a given at this point

I would still generally tell people to shop for the games you want to play today,  if you're strictly gaming.  To bring the topic back around full circle, this especially going for video cards because of the quick growth they're having compared to CPUs.  If you're an enthusiast, you're probably replacing your hardware constantly.  That's why I generally give that advice around these parts.

Ryzen is good, and it's probably gonna get better.  I think it's in a better place than FX was.  Coffee lake is going to be an interesting competitor though. 

I'm an enthusiast and my shit is dated. I just take care of it and overclock the snot out of it. 

With the thermal issues of Kabylake, Coffeelake needs to be build like a brick shit house to catch my interest. 

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

I'm an enthusiast and my shit is dated. I just take care of it and overclock the snot out of it. 

With the thermal issues of Kabylake, Coffeelake needs to be build like a brick shit house to catch my interest. 

4670k 4.6Ghz checkin in

Ryzen5 is my next upgrade. I want more cores, man. 

CFL is appealing, as I don't hate Intel, but they gotta do some stupid shit with X299 to keep that appealing for prosumers. 

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

4670k 4.6Ghz checkin in

CFL is appealing, as I don't hate Intel, but they gotta do some stupid shit with X299 to keep that appealing for prosumers. 

I'm getting a 1700 asap. Just needs the monies. 

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

Just now, Droidbot said:

4670k 4.6Ghz checkin in

whichever they release better have the cores/threads to deliver what ryzen is doing

many are just looking at pure gaming, but fact remains many of us game and have crap load of other shit going on

9 minutes ago, App4that said:

Oh I'm a total cheapo, and I like to get the most out of my hardware too.  I haven't needed more than 4 threads since I started building PCs.  Maybe enthusiast isn't the correct term.  When I use the term enthusiast, I mean the people who do get the fastest for the thrill of having the fastest.  It's why the Titans and i7 WS's will always have its buyers.  

Just now, Biggerboot said:

Oh I'm a total cheapo.  I haven't needed more than 4 threads since I started building PCs.  Maybe enthusiast isn't the correct term.  When I use the term enthusiast, I mean the people who do get the fastest for the thrill of having the fastest.  It's why the Titans and i7 WS's will always have its buyers.  

Ah, got it. We call them credit card cowboys here LOL