4x 980Ti vs 2x 1080Ti

paps511
Just now, App4that said:

Bro, you sure you want that? I get really good scaling in GTA V. But OK. I'll work on that. 

I do. And I'm aware. The 980s do perform well in GTA V. But the thing is, compare that to stuff like 1080ti SLI performance vs non-SLI, and you'll see that with newer cards, it just goes to shit. The increase in performance you got from getting a second card (back when SLI was worth it, like when the 980ti came out and you can now keep your card for a few more years by buying a second one) is down so much its unbelievable

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

2 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

-snip-

When someone supplies information and their personal experiences without backing it up and showing any proof of what they're saying (ffs, I'd even take a receipt as proof - kinda) I'm inclined not to believe them.

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

When someone supplies information and their personal experiences without backing it up and showing any proof of what they're saying (ffs, I'd even take a receipt as proof - kinda) I'm inclined not to believe them.

I believe he posted pictures of his setup on his twitter. I'd have to go back to when he first posted it and was showing the 1080tis he got and download the picture

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

8 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

I do. And I'm aware. The 980s do perform well in GTA V. But the thing is, compare that to stuff like 1080ti SLI performance vs non-SLI, and you'll see that with newer cards, it just goes to shit. The increase in performance you got from getting a second card (back when SLI was worth it, like when the 980ti came out and you can now keep your card for a few more years by buying a second one) is down so much its unbelievable

Where do you want the screenshot? Forgot GTA V doesn't average the fps... Hate that.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, App4that said:

Where do you want the screenshot? Forgot GTA V doesn't average the fps... Hate that.

Anywhere is good, but hopefully somewhere like the woods, where it has to render more items and you get a framerate dip when you  go there

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, N1ghtshade said:

Anywhere is good, but hopefully somewhere like the woods, where it has to render more items and you get a framerate dip when you  go there

OK, I'll try and find a point that's easy to match. 

Just now, App4that said:

OK, I'll try and find a point that's easy to match. 

Sounds good

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

The ignorance in this thread

And lol using dx12 as a negative on sli xfire is like judging a game or software in alpha state

25 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

But the thing is, compare that to stuff like 1080ti SLI performance vs non-SLI, and you'll see that with newer cards, it just goes to shit. 

You're objectively wrong

SLI Off.txt

SLI On.txt

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

2 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

You're objectively wrong

SLI Off.txt

SLI On.txt

Why in god's name do you have a Haswell in a gaming pc?

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, pas008 said:

More ignorance

cb3.jpg

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, pas008 said:

Someone must be butthurt

Not butthurt. Just tired of people thinking argument ad hominem is an actual argument. You can't just say "ur dumb lol" and claim you're right and you won the argument

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

25 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Sounds good

Your evidence. Made sure to show the utilization. Ultra settings at 1440

SLI1.jpg

notSLI1.jpg

EDIT, even a clock speed advatage to the single card, didn't notice that till just now. 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Your evidence. Made sure to show the utilization. Ultra settings at 1440

SLI1.jpg

notSLI1.jpg

I guess I stand corrected. But, as I said earlier, this usually applies to older cards like yours. It helps keep them alive. With new cards it doesn't do shit

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

2 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

You can't just say "ur dumb lol" and claim you're right and you won the argument

In a nutshell, you've been doing exactly that this entire thread.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

1 minute ago, N1ghtshade said:

With new cards it doesn't do shit

Again, objectively wrong. Proven by both my techpowerup link, and my GTAV benchmark results.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

Just now, Frankenburger said:

In a nutshell, you've been doing exactly that this entire thread.

I don't know if this is /s or you're trolling, but no, I have not

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, Frankenburger said:

Again, objectively wrong. Proven by both my techpowerup link, and my GTAV benchmark results.

You have a Haswell in your rig. Think that might be the problem buddy

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

On 4/6/2017 at 1:54 AM, paps511 said:

What do you think would be better, 4x 980Ti or 2x 1080Ti?

Hypothetically of course.........

depends, for HWbot rankings, with things like FireStrike, 4 way GTX 980ti and GTX 1080ti are not that common, so competition isn't as fierce, and firestrike scales pretty well for SLI, for gaming uses, one GTX 1080ti, and SLI if you really need the horses, but I'd pick the 4 way GTX 980ti just for said firestrike results and HWbot rankings

Yours faithfully

I guess I stand corrected. But, as I said earlier, this usually applies to older cards like yours. It helps keep them alive. With new cards it doesn't do shit

I agree. I wouldn't buy two 1070, I'd buy a 1080ti. But people hear two things. SLI is a magic bullet, or it's shit. 

Throw a 1080ti in my rig and it will match the fps at that spot. I also noticed the single card buckles when driving, I could show them both getting the same if I wanted to. Only have one pic, but this spot the SLI and single card are the same. The second card kicks in when driving. Unplayable with the single card when driving. 

GTA5_2017_04_13_18_09_19_705.bmp

It's a problem that I'm doubling my frames with SLI enabled? Lol. 'Kay

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

1 minute ago, N1ghtshade said:

I run a 4790k LOL

Just now, App4that said:

I agree. I wouldn't buy two 1070, I'd buy a 1080ti. But people hear two things. SLI is a magic bullet, or it's shit. 

Throw a 1080ti in my rig and it will match the fps at that spot. I also noticed the single card buckles when driving, I could show them both getting the same if I wanted to. Only have one pic, but this spot the SLI and single card are the same. The second card kicks in when driving. Unplayable with the single card when driving. 

GTA5_2017_04_13_18_09_19_705.bmp

True. It's very hit or miss

1 minute ago, Frankenburger said:

It's a problem that I'm doubling my frames with SLI enabled? Lol. 'Kay

"Doubling my frames" Can you even do simple math?

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540