Intel X299 Skylake W

NumLock21
2 hours ago, MandelFrac said:

Those analytics and DB workloads really don't get offloaded to any accelerators.

Well I wasn't talking about those anyway :P.

General purpose CPUs are terrible for any kind of packet processing where extremely high throughput is required or very low latency so that gets offload where ever possible. Our FortiGates for example have 4 dedicated ASICs (NP6) for packet processing, another 8 dedicated ASICs (CP8) for content processing and a CPU for policy management plus all other general tasks and things not offloaded.

http://help.fortinet.com/fos50hlp/54/Content/FortiOS/fortigate-hardware-acceleration-52/np6-fgt-3700D.htm

We have 4 of those and 6 1500D's.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Well I wasn't talking about those anyway :P.

General purpose CPUs are terrible for any kind of packet processing where extremely high throughput is required or very low latency so that gets offload where ever possible. Our FortiGates for example have 4 dedicated ASICs (NP6) for packet processing, another 8 dedicated ASICs (CP8) content processing and a CPU for policy management plus all other general tasks and things not offloaded.

http://help.fortinet.com/fos50hlp/54/Content/FortiOS/fortigate-hardware-acceleration-52/np6-fgt-3700D.htm

We have 4 of those and 6 1500D's.

I'm not an interconnect expert at all, but based on that diagram I don't think I ever want to be.

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

If you're exclusively doing something that is being handed of to an accelerator card then a 4 core CPU that is clocked extremely, high hence the TDP, would make sense. Faster you can dispatch jobs the better and that is currently frequency constrained rather than more cores helping.

You would need a ton of accelerator cards that are also very powerful to overload 4 cores.

Might see this CPU being used in the comms/networking space where everything is offloaded from CPU.

This is exactly their thought process for the chip. They already have a similar (E7 8893v4) Xeon version of this chip. Which I have seen several used in conjunction with xeon phi. I think what they are going to be trying to do is to pull the heavy gamers from the consumer line to the enthusiast platform. I remember a lot of gamers complaining about being stuck on the consumer platform because intels best "gaming" chip was on a consumer chipset. Heck, I could be wrong about that though.

That's now how I imagined Intel respond to Ryzen .... double facepalm for Intel lol

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

28 minutes ago, Aleksiandrovich said:

This both hurts and confuses my brain. I can see what it could be used for *at a stretch* i don't see why logically tho.

The other point not brought up is that Intel would appear to be unifying around 1 socket. Even though 1151 can still be used for Coffee and Cannonlake, if the long-form move is to unify around one socket, I think that's probably a good thing.

Weird strategy from Intel. This happens when you get comfortable, you forget things - we are on top of the world, it will be fun they said. 

9 hours ago, Rangaman42 said:

Wait what? A 140W quad core? WITHOUT hyperthreading? When AMD has 16 threads at 95W?

Jesus Intel... Is there actually any point to this chips?

9 hours ago, WereCat said:

Is Intel like "Well, this family of processors has a lot of TDP variety, let's just call all of them 140TDP according to the highest TDP model", or do they really all have 140TDP?

Intel has been doing this for a while: a handful TDPs for their whole lineup. Look at X99: you know heat and power consumption isn't the same from beginning to end, but it's all 140w.

And it's not even just Intel, AMD groups CPUs as well, it's just that Intel groups are more heterogeneous. Ain't nobody got time for rating every single SKU individually :P

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

If you're exclusively doing something that is being handed of to an accelerator card then a 4 core CPU that is clocked extremely, high hence the TDP, would make sense. Faster you can dispatch jobs the better and that is currently frequency constrained rather than more cores helping.

You would need a ton of accelerator cards that are also very powerful to overload 4 cores.

Might see this CPU being used in the comms/networking space where everything is offloaded from CPU.

This, so much this. For instance, Intel has been locking the Xeon Phis in all possible ways (platform, chipset, CPU...). They could easily keep it out from X299 (or any consumer platform) unless you use a W chip, and then the cheapest Phi farm you can build becomes an overpriced quad-core system... 

They may not bring the Phis in particular, but you get the general idea of how segmentation can make a bad prosuct a good buy... 

9 hours ago, Rangaman42 said:

Is there actually any point to this chips?

This is the same company that made unlocked i3 when every one was asking for 6c/12t flagship i7 CPUs ditching that useless iGPU

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

This is the same company that made unlocked i3 when every one was asking for 6c/12t flagship i7 CPUs ditching that useless iGPU

In all fairness, all budget builders wanted unlocked i3s up until Kabylake.  Skylake baseclock so much better than 7350k.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

It's a Xeon product.

Nothing to see here folks.   Whoever is claiming this is joining the HEDT segment is mistaken.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)