Valve consults Total Biscuit & Jim Sterling

Guest Kloaked
Go to solution Solved by XenosTech,
3 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Random question: which library layout do you personally use?

Think mine is default... I have to check when I get home from work

2 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Yeah lol I mean it did show me one interesting game with is WARMODE

That's how it looks

Yeah that's the default layout that it keeps resetting me to. The grid one resembles the layout in the Steam Big Screen mode which I like personally.

Just now, Kloaked said:

Yeah that's the default layout that it keeps resetting me to. The grid one resembles the layout in the Steam Big Screen mode which I like personally.

Ah... After using steam for all these years I've never toggled the big screen mode

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

13 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

TL;DR of the OP: This person I don't personally like has influence, waaaaaaah cryyyyyy

You are severely misrepresenting his argument. The important point he's making is not about if people have different political opinions or if he doesn't like them. What he cares about, and what he should, because this is a problem, is that he doesn't like Sterling or Bain attacking people or disregarding them because their political opinions don't align with theirs. You...can't do that. It completely bypasses logical discourse that people would then determine whether the ideas discussed are good or bad. This is the entire crux of the issue when people bring up SJW stuff. If you don't like my ideas, tell what's wrong with them and we can enter a discussion and both learn something. Don't dismiss my argument simply because I disagree with you.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

1 minute ago, Shakaza said:

You are severely misrepresenting his argument. The important point he's making is not about if people have different political opinions or if he doesn't like them. What he cares about, and what he should, because this is a problem, is that he doesn't like Sterling or Bain attacking people or disregarding them because their political opinions don't align with theirs. You...can't do that. It completely bypasses logical discourse that people would then determine whether the ideas discussed are good or bad. This is the entire crux of the issue when people bring up SJW stuff. If you don't like my ideas, tell what's wrong with them and we can enter a discussion and both learn something. Don't dismiss my argument simply because I disagree with you.

DAE *see spoiler*

Totalbiscuit lashed out at his WIFE on TWITTER after the election?? He blamed HER for voting for Gary Johnson and not Clinton for Trump's win.

That's how much of an asshole he is.

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Yes I would rather that Valve, for a change, took some fucking initiative and actually did something themselves to improve things because when their approach of "let users police themselves" didn't work they didn't choose to actually hire some fucking people to control things, they just want advice on even more external people on how to solve their hands off attitude towards policing.

Dude I think you do not understand what Steam is probably doing... They are not "putting their decision making in the hand of 2 bitter, [...]". It's a fucking consulting Job. As the biggest curators with the largest groups of followers and lots of experience with the steam platform and the curation system they have very, very valuable perspectives on what is means to review games on steam. How meaningfull it is or not, how useful it is, or NOT, how impactful it is, or NOT... etc.

The post says they are trying to give the smaller curators more impact, not themselves the curating giants, this is pretty self-conscious. Also Valve probably wanted their input on the tools they have already set-up and ways to make them better or take things out that don't work.

I think no matter your opinions on these british pricks, they are more than capable of helping Valve make a better platform for Curators and trough them Game Consumers as well.

Yes, TB can be, and frequently is, an asshole, but he (and Jim) are pretty damn knoweldgeable and it would be dumb of Valve to not make use of them when they can.

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

DAE *see spoiler*

Reveal hidden contents

Totalbiscuit lashed out at his WIFE on TWITTER after the election?? He blamed HER for voting for Gary Johnson and not Clinton for Trump's win.

That's how much of an asshole he is.

Yeaaah, I heard about that. Utterly despicable. Sterling and Bain have done some good things, but I cannot defend these actions.

Also, what does "DAE" mean? :P

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

2 minutes ago, VicBar said:

Dude I think you do not understand what Steam is probably doing... They are not "putting their decision making in the hand of 2 bitter, [...]". It's a fucking consulting Job. As the biggest curators with the largest groups of followers and lots of experience with the steam platform and the curation system they have very, very valuable perspectives on what is means to review games on steam. How meaningfull it is or not, how useful it is, or NOT, how impactful it is, or NOT... etc.

The post says they are trying to give the smaller curators more impact, not themselves the curating giants, this is pretty self-conscious. Also Valve probably wanted their input on the tools they have already set-up and ways to make them better or take things out that don't work.

I think no matter your opinions on these british pricks, they are more than capable of helping Valve make a better platform for Curators and trough them Game Consumers as well.

Yes, TB can be, and frequently is, an asshole, but he (and Jim) are pretty damn knoweldgeable and it would be dumb of Valve to not make use of them when they can.

That's fair, but that's not what I'm personally concerned about. I'm not sure what "tools" and such that Valve will start giving curators unless they were just paying lip service. I don't want someone on Steam who doesn't know how to be rational basically deciding how good a game is based on their own "taste" and simultaneously be able to "shadow" (there's a better way to put that but I haven't had enough coffee this morning yet) other games from anyone's knowledge because they found it to be "bad" in some form when I would probably like it myself.

1 minute ago, Shakaza said:

Yeaaah, I heard about that. Utterly despicable. Sterling and Bain have done some good things, but I cannot defend these actions.

Does Anyone Else.

It's more of a meme.

This thread shows me how superficial this forum got, hate just because of hate. 

Fucking do your research on someone before judging him on some superficial shit. 

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

1 minute ago, 3DOSH said:

Fucking do your research on someone before judging him on some superficial shit. 

LOL... well this thread seems to be just people's fears.

There is no information apart from the fact that Valve spoke to a couple of popular game critics, and that they plan to enhance the curator system.
So people just use their imagination and think something terrible is gonna happen.

7 minutes ago, 3DOSH said:

This is not hate because of hate. I gave examples further in the thread why I don't think John or Jim should be the ones that Valve consults with. I also did not intend to come across as sensational, but with John he is an absolute hypocrite and an asshole. I don't think he should be a consultant for gamers.

So don't come into the thread guns blazing and accuse someone of being superficial. I have legitimate grievances with these two men.

2 minutes ago, Humbug said:

LOL... well this thread seems to be just people's fears.

There is no information apart from the fact that Valve spoke to a couple of popular game critics, and that they plan to enhance the curator system.
So people just use their imagination and think something terrible is gonna happen.

Like I said above in this post, I did not mean to come across as sensational. I just don't like how they consulted these two specific guys and will supposedly offer "more power and tools" to curators, whatever that means. 

It has nothing to do with their politics. It has everything to do with these two guys not having the ability to stay rational when the situation gets elevated.

Shouldn't have to continue to explain myself. So much for using my imagination.

44 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I gave examples further in the thread why I don't think John or Jim should be the ones that Valve consults with.

Talking to people is always a good thing.

I work at an ISP as an engineer. I often talk to people with various opinions about how my company should improve itself, and what we do right vs wrong etc. However I never go back to work and implement some crazy plan based on what somebody outside said obviously.

44 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

will supposedly offer "more power and tools" to curators, whatever that means.

Steam has loads of games right?

The curator system is a way for me to say, ok I trust the opinion of Curator X and Curator Y and Curator Z above others, and so I want them to have some influence on the games which appear on my front page. That is a good thing.

More power and tools is unlikely to be a bad thing since people choose their curators, not the other way around. It's not like Valve would hand over the keys to steam.

20 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

This is not hate because of hate. I gave examples further in the thread why I don't think John or Jim should be the ones that Valve consults with. I also did not intend to come across as sensational, but with John he is an absolute hypocrite and an asshole. I don't think he should be a consultant for gamers.

So don't come into the thread guns blazing and accuse someone of being superficial. I have legitimate grievances with these two men.

Like I said above in this post, I did not mean to come across as sensational. I just don't like how they consulted these two specific guys and will supposedly offer "more power and tools" to curators, whatever that means. 

It has nothing to do with their politics. It has everything to do with these two guys not having the ability to stay rational when the situation gets elevated.

Shouldn't have to continue to explain myself. So much for using my imagination.

All the examples you gave were for why you hate him as person not as game reviewer. 

He put indie titles in front of people who whould have not heard of them. That alone is enough reason for me. 

Can you please give us more qualified person for the mission?? 

I don't see anyone replying to posts but you. That alone says a lot. 

Peace. 

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

If it gets Valve off their lazy butts then go for it! The curator and QA system are in desperate need of a remake. 

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

6 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Talking to people is always a good thing.

I work at an ISP as an engineer. I often talk to people with various opinions about how my company should improve itself, and we do right vs wrong etc. However I never go back to work and implement some crazy plan based on what somebody outside said obviously.

That's fair, but let's not ignore the fact that Valve has done some super dumb stuff before and had to roll back their decision after so much backlash.

7 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Steam has loads of games right?

The curator system is a way for me to say, ok I trust the opinion of Curator X and Curator Y and Curator Z above others, and so I want them to have some influence on the games which appear on my front page. That is a good thing.

More power and tools is unlikely to be a bad thing since people choose their curators, not the other way around. It's not like Valve would hand over the keys to steam.

True. If that is how it will work then that's fine with me. I am still subscribed to John on Steam since he tends to find the better indie games that I may like. What I don't want him to be able to do is have so much power that he or anyone can basically say "this game is shit" on Steam and basically be able to blacklist it.

1 hour ago, Kloaked said:

I like the grid layout personally but every time I change it, Valve puts out an update for Steam and it resets the layout. I am too lazy to keep changing it back.

It takes one click to change the layout. Just sayin. ;) 

Some good discussion going on in this thread. Just a reminder to keep it civil, folks. Thanks. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

10 minutes ago, 3DOSH said:

All the examples you gave were for why you hate him as person not as game reviewer. 

He put indie titles in front of people who whould have not heard of them. That alone is enough reason for me. 

I don't hate him, I just don't care for him anymore. I do agree that he gives indie titles the spotlight when they deserve it, and that's why I'm still subbed to him on Steam. I just don't watch his videos anymore.

Literally every Steam user who speaks coherently and gives honest reviews.

Like what?

1 minute ago, MEC-777 said:

It takes one click to change the layout. Just sayin. ;) 

Yeah I know. I've just had to change it so many times that I just don't care that much about it anymore. #FirstWorldProblems

18 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I don't hate him, I just don't care for him anymore. I do agree that he gives indie titles the spotlight when they deserve it, and that's why I'm still subbed to him on Steam. I just don't watch his videos anymore.

Literally every Steam user who speaks coherently and gives honest reviews.

Like what?

Yeah I know. I've just had to change it so many times that I just don't care that much about it anymore. #FirstWorldProblems

Your avreage steam user? Really? 

That's like hey you seem to be good shill come work for our PR company. 

He literally boosted the sale for game that was not marked well by talking about it on his podcast not too long ago , he goes to moojo con and gives his fans 2 hours signing session . 

He is biggest curator on steam, jim sterling being not to far behind. 

He admits when hes wrong about something, ex: switch sd card, election and other more unlike many who just ignore it. 

1 hour ago, Shakaza said:

They made up to each other right after, but yeah. It was a pretty shitty thing for him to do.

As for what "DAE" means, it means "Does Anyone Else".

26 minutes ago, 3DOSH said:

Peace. 

Besides Valve is just consulting with them. That means somebody at Valve thought it would be useful to get these guys' opinions and have a discussion.

Once the discussion is over it's just more information and feedback for Valve to consider along with so many other sources...   It's not like John Bain is gonna take over from Gabe Newell.

4 minutes ago, 3DOSH said:

Your avreage steam user? Really?

I didn't say average.

That's like hey you seem to be good shill come work for our PR company.

Well that's ironic.

He literally boosted the sale for game that was not marked well by talking about it on his podcast not too long ago , he goes to moojo con and gives his fans 2 hours signing session . 

I wasn't arguing that.

He admits when hes wrong about something, ex: switch sd card, election and other more unlike many who just ignore it. 

He admits he's wrong when he wants to. With this election specifically, he admitted he was being hypocritical about his position and even added that he didn't give a shit. That's partially why I don't like him anymore, on top of him treating his fanbase like garbage. He talks about how bad sensational media is when he does the same shit himself.

5 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

He talks about how bad sensational media is when he does the same shit himself.

Hmmm I could be wrong but personally don't see him as sensationalist.

The latest example being his Mass Effect Andromeda video. He went through all the bad points and all the good points which he saw in the game without jumping on any bandwagon and blowing anything out of proportion (good or bad).

2 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Hmmm I could be wrong but personally don't see him as sensationalist.

The latest example being his Mass Effect Andromeda video. He went through all the bad points and all the good points which he saw in the game without jumping on any bandwagon and blowing anything out of proportion (good or bad).

I'm more so talking about his rants on Twitter and Soundcloud, sometimes Twitch. I can't remember a regular YouTube video he made where he went overboard, it's everywhere else he does this stuff at that turned me off from him.

to all those complaining: would rather have more threads like this than another "AMD is shit, buy nvidia intel stocks now!!!" thread 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>