What Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge CPU should I buy?

Hi, I just recently built a budget gaming and workstation system using a z77 motherboard with an i5 2500 non k and 16GB ddr3 ram. However, later on I want to upgrade the CPU to something beefier to handle my workstation tasks more effiecently plus the games I play like having more than 4 threads and are somewhat CPU intensive. I really don't want to move to a new platform so I am looking at LGA 1155 CPUs, specifically the i7s and Xeons since my motherboard can use either. Should I get a i7 2600 non K, i7 2600k, Xeon E3 1240, i7 3770 non K, i7 3770k, or Xeon E3 1240v2? I'm trying to find the cheapest upgrade that will last me a long time. 

Link to PC on PCPartPicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/229J7P

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

I would say either the i7 3770K or Xeon E3 1240v2.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

For gaming you're at a disadvantage. That DDR3 will hold you back. Sad, but because budget usually means 1080p. You're better off changing platforms.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

2 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Should I get a i7 2600 non K, i7 2600k, Xeon E3 1240, i7 3770 non K, i7 3770k, or Xeon E3 1240v2? I'm trying to find the cheapest upgrade that will last me a long time. 

3770K if you can get it. 2700K/2600K would be good too. Healthy OC would be quite handy. Try not to pay too much for them though. 

Wouldn't touch those low end Xeons. Nothing really special about them. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I still have my i5-2500k. It was a pretty iconic CPU for gaming history. I'm doing a full rebuild. If you're interested PM me. I'd sell the entire mobo (CPU, corsair h80 cooler, good ddr3 ram (corsair vengeance I think!), ASUS sabertooth z77 mobo sandy bridge AND ivy bridge capable  with that carbon fiber looking armor, etc) for SUPER CHEAP (like... 100 bucks total)

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

i7 3770k would be the best option. 

the only problem is the i7 costs around $200 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

For gaming you're at a disadvantage. That DDR3 will hold you back. Sad, but because budget usually means 1080p. You're better off changing platforms.

I'm fine with 1080p honestly, I don't even have a 1440p or 4k screen at my house 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

I recently tested an OC at 5ghz and it's cool as a cucumber, runs strong, never gets that hot at all, and it's actually pulling more fps than my razer blade's 6700hq i7

Just now, glitchmaster0001 said:

I'm fine with 1080p honestly, I don't even have a 1440p or 4k screen at my house 

its worth the price, you might find them cheaper if you look around. 

7 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Hi, I just recently built a budget gaming and workstation system using a z77 motherboard [...]

Why? Great deals on used parts?  I hope so... :/  If so, nice :D  

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

That's the issue. At 1080p you're placing the load on the CPU and memory, as the resolution goes up you'll trade that to the graphics card.

This is assuming you're running something like a 1060 or 480 at least. For a lower end graphics card ignore me.

1 minute ago, Therealtpage said:

I still have my i5-2500k. It was a pretty iconic CPU for gaming history. I'm doing a full rebuild. If you're interested PM me. I'd sell the entire mobo (CPU, corsair h80 cooler, good ddr3 ram (corsair vengeance I think!), ASUS sabertooth z77 mobo sandy bridge AND ivy bridge capable  with that carbon fiber looking armor, etc) for SUPER CHEAP (like... 100 bucks total)

Thanks but I'll pass. I have like 72GB or DDR3 RAM that I can't even use since i dont have any more computers to put them into.. my current board is a Z77 as well and I have a non K version of your CPU. unless you sell me the CPU for dirt cheap then ill pass. 

Just now, glitchmaster0001 said:

Thanks but I'll pass. I have like 72GB or DDR3 RAM that I can't even use since i dont have any more computers to put them into.. my current board is a Z77 as well and I have a non K version of your CPU. unless you sell me the CPU for dirt cheap then ill pass. 

Literally dirt cheap. Otherwise I'm tossing it.

Check ur pms. I'll send u everything I'm replacing and u tell me what you'd want and what you feel comfortable paying. 99.99999% chance of me saying yes.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Why? Great deals on used parts?  I hope so... :/  If so, nice :D  

oh hell yeah! it costed me $76 total to build this PC lol. it took a lot of hustling though to get these parts for the price i got them at. Here look at my build log for this PC.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/229J7P

8 hours ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

i understand, lol, i was offering you these things for dirt cheap. i told ya "text me what you want from the system, and how much you want to pay, and theres a 99.99999% chance that i will sell it to you for that, because otherwise i was prepared to just recycle it anyway"

The thing is, the difference between a 2500 and an overclocked 2500k is literally massive. its like someone offering you an m3 and saying "its okay, i already have a 328i." Yes, its the same inline 6, yes, its the same body, yes, its the same in MANY factors, but you're basically negating the fact that one has about 200 more horse power than the other.

But, i digress, this is your rig and the choices you make are yours. If you really aren't that enthused by the concept of grabbing an i5-2500k for like... 20 dolalrs... then let someone else have it who could truly benefit from it. I would rather donate it to a Chicago public school in an impoverished area (ponder this before making a decision, if this won't benefit you that much, think of what it could do for some kid who wants to learn, ya know?)

the i5-2500k sandy bridge CPU revolutionized gaming CPUs and the way Intel looked at their products in general, i wasn't kidding earlier when i called it iconic. The only reason to get an i7 with hyperthreading was for those who were producing content (editing video, that kinda thing). The clock speed is just INSANE on the 2500k with minimal cooling efforts. I think i have run mine at 5.2ghz without it breaking a sweat really (and this is with a corsair h80 liquid cooler). I posted this earlier as well, but the 2500k at stock clock speeds actually beats (for gaming) the CPU in my 2 month old razer blade 14" laptop (I7-6700hq), you push it up another 2ghz from oc? You're gonna have some fun :) 

Also, at stock clock speeds, the 2500k is 11% faster in almost every category than the 2500. Add a little OC and you're looking at 16 percent higher for single core speed, and 19-20 percent for multi core speed. On userbenchmarks, the conclusion was their "Average bench category" stating the 2500k was 73.5% and the 2500 was at 66.1%   Take a look here http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-2500K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2500/619vsm517 

Best Bench: 90% Base clock 5.9 GHz, turbo 8.9 GHz (avg)

Best Bench: 77% Base clock 4.1 GHz, turbo 4.75 GHz (avg)

I don't know why I'm putting this much effort into giving someone something for the cost of shipping pretty much... lol. If you really don't want it im not here to push you into buying it. I just was kinda excited to offer you exactly what you seemed to want and for the dirt cheap prices you were looking for, as again, i was going to donate it regardless as of two days ago, i hadn't even considered trying to sell any of it.

Had a 780 go for 20 bucks in the local group, want me to see if they still have it? People flake around here.

Just now, App4that said:

Had a 780 go for 20 bucks in the local group, want me to see if they still have it? People flake around here.

sure that would be great if you can 

65.1% was the user bench of my i7-6700hq just now, by the way. Looks ilke the 1080 is coming out of the core and going into the desktop until i get my build parts ready anyway!

Don't waste your time with i5. Games are using higher core counts now, and it's only going to get more prevalent. I would go with an i7 2600, or 3770. Check eBay for prices, but imagine price/performance is probably better with 2600.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Sell it and buy a 2600K.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

1 hour ago, arnavvr said:

Sell it and buy a 2600K.

I would, but I want a CPU that would stay relevant for many years to come so I might go with the i7 3770k even though it will be a somewhat pricey upgrade for me. I can always sell the 2500 and recuperate some of the costs back along with other spare CPUs that I have in my house to further recuperate the cost.  

Using ebay and Passmark scores to measure Bang for the buck (BFTB). Lower BFTB is better.

i7 2600__$130__8479 PM__65.9 BFTB

i7 2700__$175__8768 PM__50.1 BFTB

i7 3770__$210__9546 PM__45.45 BFTB

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

12 hours ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Not sure where you getting your prices from

If you look around /r/hardwareswap, you can get a 2600K for 120-150, 3770K for 140-175. 

7 hours ago, Bubblewhale said:

Not sure where you getting your prices from

If you look around /r/hardwareswap, you can get a 2600K for 120-150, 3770K for 140-175. 

I was using eBay for the prices.