Microsoft Locks Ryzen, Kaby Lake Users Out of Updates On Windows 7 & 8.1

So I'm seeing this widely reported across Slashdot, Reddit, and other news sources. I was wondering what people though about this here. As i don't see a post about it yet?

It seems Microsoft it really pulling out all the stops to drive people to Windows 10? Or is this justified?

Thoughts?

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/17/03/16/2047215/microsoft-locks-ryzen-kaby-lake-users-out-of-updates-on-windows-7-81

Considering that Windows 7 does not support Ryzen with drivers and updates, it's for the best, as any updates may be unstable using Ryzen as they don't test it with it and a single bad update can wreak havoc on a large group of people with a platform they don't test for. It's the best for both.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

To Microsoft, Windows 8/8.1 (as much as I liked it) us a write off just like Vista. So it sort of makes sense for them not to support Ryzen on Windows 8/8.1.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

6 minutes ago, FAQBytes said:

Considering that Windows 7 does not support Ryzen with drivers and updates, it's for the best, as any updates may be unstable using Ryzen as they don't test it with it and a single bad update can wreak havoc on a large group of people with a platform they don't test for. It's the best for both.

Since they don't do testing with that hardware for W7/8.1, it's for the best in my opinion. Obviously would be nice to have support but I don't use either OS so whatevs.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

2 minutes ago, FAQBytes said:

True, But I can install Vista on a Kaby Lake I7 7700K. Yet still install and access all the updates from the WSUS servers?

Sure it may have issues, and Kaby Lake I7 7700K is defiantly not supported by Vista. If I call Microsoft about a issue, I'm going to be told its unsupported, and they would not help me. But I can still do it if I choose to.

I see this more as "if you drive your truck on a dirt road, They will not supply fixes to problems and issues with the truck." Even if the issues are completely unrelated to the dirt road, or serious safety issues.

Just now, Tannah said:

True, But I can install Vista on a Kaby Lake I7 7700K. Yet still install and access all the updates from the WSUS servers?

Sure it may have issues, and Kaby Lake I7 7700K is defiantly not supported by Vista. If I call Microsoft about a issue, I'm going to be told its unsupported, and they would not help me. But I can still do it if I choose to.

I see this more as "if you drive your truck on a dirt road, They will not supply fixes to problems and issues with the truck." Even if the issues are completely unrelated to the dirt road, or serious safety issues.

You can still download updates, it's just a little bit more "out of the way" as you can't do it through Windows Update. 

I can also install Windows 95 and access the online updates, but the same problem. Microsoft isn't going to support it in any way. 

Do I agree with it on a basic level? No?

Does it make business sense? In many ways, but not every way.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb