Gaming Pc can be use for construction engineering and architecture

Luuk17
Go to solution Solved by honor,

Absolutely! Some time ago, another user also asked for advice here on a pc build suited for both gaming, production and autocad, 3d modelling etc.
One of the reason, "engineering" aimed PC's have such hugh pricetags is due to the choice of certain workstation processors (Xeon) and graphicscards (quadro). A friend of mine who is a mechanical engineer used to spend loads of money on such components, until he discovered at work, when testing consumer gpus and cpus for their workloads, that the performance was faster and smoother on the consumer parts, but in turn less stable (occassional crashes). He now uses, both at work and at home, just normal consumer parts and saves loads of money while being just as productive. Doesn#t mean that workstation parts are not viable, on the contrary, but if you are not exactly running a company and need huge number crunching capabilites, it is overkill. get a normal pc for abour 2000-2500$ and you're set :)

Hi, I'm studying construction engineering and architecture, year after year i started creating projects on my laptop, but starting from create a wall or a window, now i must create an entire building and the laptop is following me in  2D but When i step in 3D with change of materials and rendering  the laptop is slowly slowing down and stop, and now that i'm nearly coming at the end of this travel, i need more power for to do better job in less time. I've always liked to be in the world of PC and his beauty, but now i do not know if is possible or not, because i don't have find much information, for that power that i need i  have seen some nice pc but i saw the cost was over € 8,000 and i don't have that solid capital.... i want to ask if a gaming PC it is can run the programs who use an engineerings and architects like: Autocad PhotoShop sketchup Cinema 4 Maxwell Render Home Desig, i know That  the cost is high but I hope that the cost does not reach the 8k€.
So, can i build a PC that  it will reach or will pass one who cost € 8k and who can run the programs who i says before without problems?
Thanks to everyone.
(P.s, Maybe i did some mistake when i wrote and i hope i don't mistaken section )

Budget? And yes, a gaming PC will run those programs just fine. The one thing is you wont have validated hardware neither ECC memory on RAM and VRAM

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

You can easily get 90% of the performance of that $8,000 PC for under $2,000.  The thing that makes those workstation computers expensive is the Xeon CPUs and Quadro GPU (which are almost identical to gaming GPU).

You can get a high performing Ryzen 8 core CPU for $500 and a GTX 1080 Ti for $700, then just add 32GB of RAM and fill in the rest for a few hundred more.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

2 minutes ago, dany_boy said:

Budget? And yes, a gaming PC will run those programs just fine. The one thing is you wont have validated hardware neither ECC memory on RAM and VRAM

Pretty sure Ryzen supports ECC memory.  No need to buy an expensive Xeon platform anymore.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Of course you can, make a 1800x + 32gb ram + Titan XP rig and you're set for all the heavy work including gaming, get an ultra-wide monitor.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Absolutely! Some time ago, another user also asked for advice here on a pc build suited for both gaming, production and autocad, 3d modelling etc.
One of the reason, "engineering" aimed PC's have such hugh pricetags is due to the choice of certain workstation processors (Xeon) and graphicscards (quadro). A friend of mine who is a mechanical engineer used to spend loads of money on such components, until he discovered at work, when testing consumer gpus and cpus for their workloads, that the performance was faster and smoother on the consumer parts, but in turn less stable (occassional crashes). He now uses, both at work and at home, just normal consumer parts and saves loads of money while being just as productive. Doesn#t mean that workstation parts are not viable, on the contrary, but if you are not exactly running a company and need huge number crunching capabilites, it is overkill. get a normal pc for abour 2000-2500$ and you're set :)

Just now, CostcoSamples said:

Pretty sure Ryzen supports ECC memory.  No need to buy an expensive Xeon platform anymore.

Can you get me a source on that? I believe it is reserved for the Opteron lineup similar to the Xeons

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

Ryzen chips are capable of using ecc memory ( has been confirmed even by linus & co)

2 minutes ago, dany_boy said:

Can you get me a source on that? I believe it is reserved for the Opteron lineup similar to the Xeons

If I recall correctly I believe I saw that Ryzen supports ECC memory as well.

Edit: Yep, AMD confirmed it themselves. You just need a compatible motherboard. https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/amd_confirms_that_ryzen_supports_ecc_memory/1

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

1 minute ago, dany_boy said:

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/amd_confirms_that_ryzen_supports_ecc_memory/1

" In simple terms, this means that AMD's Ryzen CPUs have full support for ECC memory, but AMD does not want to officially provide any QA or official support for ECC on their consumer platforms. Instead of simply disabling ECC support altogether, AMD has instead opted to allow motherboards to support the standard as they see fit, allowing consumers to take full advantage of ECC memory when using a compatible motherboard.  "

PC Build

Desk Build

TBH I don't know, but if you got that from a reputable source then that is absolutely fantastic

Just now, Orangeator said:

If I recall correctly I believe I saw that Ryzen supports ECC memory as well.

2 minutes ago, honor said:

Ryzen chips are capable of using ecc memory ( has been confirmed even by linus & co)

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

1 minute ago, CostcoSamples said:

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/amd_confirms_that_ryzen_supports_ecc_memory/1

" In simple terms, this means that AMD's Ryzen CPUs have full support for ECC memory, but AMD does not want to officially provide any QA or official support for ECC on their consumer platforms. Instead of simply disabling ECC support altogether, AMD has instead opted to allow motherboards to support the standard as they see fit, allowing consumers to take full advantage of ECC memory when using a compatible motherboard.  "

Thanks!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

Just now, dany_boy said:

Thanks!

I don't think the OP needs ECC anyway.  For what he is doing I think regular memory will do fine.  ECC is for mission-critical applications such as time sensitive processing loads and servers that need to maximize up-time.

PC Build

Desk Build

@Luuk17What is your budget if I may ask and what country are you from? (For correct pricing). Also, do you possess a monitor, mouse and keyboard or do you need new peripherals as well?

Just now, CostcoSamples said:

I don't think the OP needs ECC anyway.  For what he is doing I think regular memory will do fine.  ECC is for mission-critical applications such as time sensitive processing loads and servers that need to maximize up-time.

If you work for a company doing design stuff, ECC can save you hassles when running CAD-CAM-CAE simulations if something goes wrong

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

Just now, dany_boy said:

If you work for a company doing design stuff, ECC can save you hassles when running CAD-CAM-CAE simulations if something goes wrong

That may be true, but OP said he is "studying", I think that means he is still in school, but maybe he means on the job training...  

PC Build

Desk Build

1 minute ago, CostcoSamples said:

That may be true, but OP said he is "studying", I think that means he is still in school, but maybe he means on the job training...  

I have already lost 40 mins of work while running stress load simulations, in my case It meat a lower grade, but in a work environment it can cost large sums of money. Its not essential but it can sometimes be very useful

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

1 minute ago, dany_boy said:

I have already lost 40 mins of work while running stress load simulations, in my case It meat a lower grade, but in a work environment it can cost large sums of money. Its not essential but it can sometimes be very useful

Cool, I've never actually used it for it's intended purpose so I can't speak from experience like you.   (I had some for fun on an old server I was running once, but only because I got it free)

PC Build

Desk Build

Hue hue hue, and my father gets by with his i5 4200U powered laptop fine for rendering 3D models and running simulation :P 

To be fair, the models he renders are only like a single concrete column or a section of a bridge which probably uses less polygons than a full building...plus the longer it takes for the models to render, the more free time he gets while still getting paid for it...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Hue hue hue, and my father gets by with his i5 4200U powered laptop fine for rendering 3D models and running simulation :P 

To be fair, the models he renders are only like a single concrete column or a section of a bridge which probably uses less polygons than a full building...plus the longer it takes for the models to render, the more free time he gets while still getting paid for it...

My "Materials Science" professor is a similar case :D

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

video editors: my video is rendering

engineers: my models are rendering

programmers: my code is compiling

10/10 excuse lol

Just now, mikat said:

10/10 excuse lol

Except compiling code can be done even on a potato...

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

2 minutes ago, mikat said:

10/10 excuse lol

Me in my future job (hopefully): What do you mean I have to fly? Why would I not use the autopilot?

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :)