SIM cards are still too big. Infineon annonces a 1.5mm SIM card.

GoodBytes
6 hours ago, manikyath said:

i wouldnt really call it that heavy, and yes, the non removable battery kinda bugs me, along with the lack of an SD card slot.

EDIT: my moto G weighs 144 grams, or about as much as my wallet with the 4 cards i keep in it, and about €3.50 worth of change.

You were talking about the first version right?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

I've never broken a SIM before. I really don't think they're that fragile, I don't know what you do to yours :P

Broken SIMs wouldn't be a problem this way, as it's not a small piece of plastic. It would be an integrated component. You'd have about the same chance of your RAM failing, which doesn't happen often.

Data transfer is easily done other ways.

I believe this can hold as many SIMs as you want (to the capacity of the memory module).

You'd have to get the same phone, or one with the same tech. Simple.

Whwn I say broken, I mean they stop working for no reason. Literally none. I just get a new one but it's annoying. 

Oh yeah, simple. :P

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

5 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

You were talking about the first version right?

i actually have no idea which version i have :P

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

More space for other things. What's wrong with that?

yea, but the amount of space you are saving is tiny by doing this, and it sure as hell anit enough to make any major upgrades to the phone, you might get a bit more storage, but that's it. it's pointless, the mirco sim card (the currently the smallest one, think it's called that, not this new one) is small enough, and is practical enough that you can unlock the phone and swap carrier

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

10 hours ago, dizmo said:

Bigger battery? More sensors or modules? Curved phones aren't really that different, just move it to the top like they do.

I have to ask, because I see this stated all the time. Do you think that companies work on everything phone related? They don't. This is news from a semiconductor company, which when looking at the phone space, deals almost exclusively in SIM cards. They're no going to be involved in smaller batteries, and they'll keep advancing the components they produce. You want better batteries? Bitch at the battery producers.

There's a difference between what is researched and what is actually implemented. I don't mind companies researching on whatever they want, but I wouldn't care about having this in a phone - in fact depending on how it will turn out to actually work I might be against it. Recap: "we manufactured a microscopic SIM" -> good, "It will be on phones" -> meh or bad.

I also have no doubt that phone manufacturers have a very direct hand in what is or isn't researched - if there were no interest for such a product it's unlikely this company would have bothered to research it in the first place.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'm surprised so many people are talking about phones relating to this. 

It's more for IoT and data-connected devices using inbuilt SoC baseband. Things like smartwatches, smart meters, or industrial manufacturing tools.

The main outlet is business and industry, not the 4.5-inch you hold in your hand on a near constant basis.

On 03/13/2017 at 3:30 PM, manikyath said:

if it means that we finally have carrier independant SIMs, at least then that is something good.

although, comes to the question of the extremely limited amount of write cycles SIMs currently have, would that be better on these?

The flash storage can easely hand several 100 cycles. So for carrier change it's fine. You should more warry about saving and changeing information on the SIM on a daily basis (e.g. contacts).

Also a SIM is just a smal micro controller, a tiny bit of RAM and ROM as well as a cryptographic block. Nothing special at all, you can easely make it more durable if you have to.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Just now, Stefan1024 said:

By the way, there is no need for a dedicated chip, one can just integrate it on the main controller. It would fit nicly next to the modem.

if i recall, android devices already have a dedicated sim-like chip for something.

and the reason it is done in a stand-alone chip has to do with keeping the cryptographic stuff and carrier-specific stuff off the main controller and away from the main OS for security reasons. essentially it avoids a virus hijacking your phone plan, it can hijack your phone, but it cant access the details needed to transfer your phone plan to a different phone. which in turn also makes "hacking a free phone plan" harder.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

if i recall, android devices already have a dedicated sim-like chip for something.

and the reason it is done in a stand-alone chip has to do with keeping the cryptographic stuff and carrier-specific stuff off the main controller and away from the main OS for security reasons. essentially it avoids a virus hijacking your phone plan, it can hijack your phone, but it cant access the details needed to transfer your phone plan to a different phone. which in turn also makes "hacking a free phone plan" harder.

There is no difference between an off chip bus and an on chip bus, you can make it exactly the same. The only difference is that it has to be developed by the same company (but you can also import finished blocks in your silicon data but that's a bit a pain)

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

eSIMs should be the future, not only will it take far less space but also allow seamless carrier switching (in theory) but carrier politics will definitely hamper this adoption unless a law get passed

5 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

There is no difference between an off chip bus and an on chip bus, you can make it exactly the same. The only difference is that it has to be developed by the same company (but you can also import finished blocks in your silicon data but that's a bit a pain)

and that when it's not in the main chip, you can potentially also use the main chip for a device that doesnt need the SIM functionality.

My phone takes an MFF2 SIM, and that was annoying as all hell to put in.

Please dont make them smallr

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

On 3/13/2017 at 10:08 AM, UnbrokenMotion said:

I'd say we don't need these, phones keep getting bigger so why do we need to extra room provided by a smaller sim card?

The ONLY practical use I see for one of these is in a curved phone.

More room for bigger batter- Shit they made it .00001 thinner instead