John Carmack Sues Zenimax Media

Guest Kloaked

AWWW SHEEIT SON

ZeniMax_Media_Inc_logo.png

So for the last couple years, Zenimax Media has been in a legal battle with Oculus/Facebook. Recently, Zeni was awarded about $500 million in "damages". Now, John Carmack is personally suing Zenimax over promised payment for his company id Software.

John Carmack, the chief technology officer of  Facebook-owned Oculus, sued ZeniMax Media on Tuesday, saying it still owes him money from buying the video game studio that he founded. Maryland-based ZeniMax bought id Software, a Richardson-based video game studio, in 2009. Carmack left the company in 2013 to become Oculus' CTO.

Seems like Zenimax now has the money to pay him after they got $500 million from Facebook/Oculus 9_9

The lawsuit says ZeniMax agreed to pay $150 million for the purchase. Now, nearly eight years after the sale, it says ZeniMax refuses to pay the final installment of cash it owes Carmack or let him convert it into shares of stock.

At the time of the sale, the lawsuit says Carmack was the majority shareholder of id Software and received a convertible promissory note valued at more than $45.1 million. He converted half of that into shares of ZeniMax stock, which he received.

This isn't close to $500 million, but it is something. Apparently after 8 years, Zenimax has not made good on their payment to Carmack, which would be a total of $150 million.

Zenimax is mostly calling bullshite on Carmack's claim, though.

A spokeswoman for ZeniMax sent an email to The Dallas Morning News calling the claims "completely without merit" and noting that a court had rejected a previous claim by Carmack that ZeniMax had violated his employment agreement.

"Apparently lacking in remorse, and disregarding the evidence of his many faithless acts and violations of law, Mr. Carmack has decided to try again," the statement said.

And to think, this all began with video games. Now it's corporate politics.

Who woulda'thunk.

5 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Zeni was awarded about $500 in "damages". 

That's some serious damage money there. Forgot a letter? 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Just now, Bouzoo said:

$500 gets you a lot today. For some people that could be rent, for others it's a pack of bubblegum and cigarettes for the week.

Just now, Kloaked said:

$500 gets you a lot today. For some people that could be rent, for others it's a pack of bubblegum and cigarettes for the week.

Or a smartphone. And that's not luxury btw, should be classified as bubblegums which are not a luxury. 

Just now, Bouzoo said:

Or a smartphone. And that's not luxury btw, should be classified as bubblegums which are not a luxury. 

I think you mean iPhones. Smartphones aren't real.

Oooh damn its on. Sue battle... FIGHT!

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Just now, Kloaked said:

I think you mean iPhones. Smartphones aren't real.

Naturally. I'm a noob. I should retire from forums. Long live the apple. 

/derail

ZeniMax's prior lawsuit against Oculus, and its final verdict that refuted Zeni's claims of any rights in Oculus, made it very clear that ZeniMax have their heads entirely up their ass, and are greedy and opportunistic liars in search of money that isn't rightfully theirs. I hope that John Carmack is successful.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Note that Carmack did not pay a cent of those 500M as far as I understand, it was facebook/oculus who did. So if he wins this for him it will be pure "profit".

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Interesting claims - if true, Carmack should of course be awarded the money.

I very much look forward to this court case, as I'd like to see the actual facts and see what the judge decides.

I can't imagine Carmack would bother if he didn't have evidence that this is true.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

32 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Interesting claims - if true, Carmack should of course be awarded the money.

I very much look forward to this court case, as I'd like to see the actual facts and see what the judge decides.

I can't imagine Carmack would bother if he didn't have evidence that this is true.

You mean apart from the fact that's he a known liar?

6 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

You mean apart from the fact that's he a known liar?

Let me put it this way, him being a "known liar" is irrelevant in my statement - also, please provide a source to back up that claim.

If he sues Zenimax for something that should be incredibly easy to verify, such as whether or not they paid him correctly, then he would be an absolute moron if he was lying. Like literally the dumbest person on Earth. I know enough about Carmack to know he's not a complete retard, so therefore, it stands to reason that there may be some truth to his claims, since they will be fairly easy to verify in court.

I have no love (or hate) for Carmack. He's just a person that I've never met and don't feel strongly about either way. But you (and others) saying he is a known liar is meaningless without sources to back it all up.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I guess I can rule out any hope for the next chapter of DOOM then?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

10 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

It's the price of one Rift. Coincidence? I think not! :P

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:50 PM, dalekphalm said:

I know enough about Carmack to know he's not a complete retard

agreed, he is (on occasion) capable of somewhat logical thought.

On 3/10/2017 at 8:26 AM, Misanthrope said:

Sure Carmack sure, your lawsuit however is missing one secret ingredient:

Cocaine! I thought something was missing! xD

1 hour ago, Magnetorheological said:

Cocaine! I thought something was missing! xD

Better idea than drugs: his enemies should prepare for some Doom!  ?

(That's two references in one for those keeping score.  lol)