Modem Random Resets

Hello everybody,

So here is my problem. I a have a vdsl connection but i am a not connected from a dslam. I am connected from a cabin with a protocol called vpu, vpu-lite actually. But the type of my connection is not the deal here. My line is perfect from the noises and errors point of view so the problem i am facing it is not a connection issue.

So my modem seems to restart by itself and i mean restart and not desync and resync the connection to internet.

My model is a Technicolor TG788 v2 by thomson. I have searched over the internet and it seems like the modem has a faulty compartment inside causing the restart due to overheat, epsecially when wifi is used extensively. All i am asking of is if everybody knows something that i can do to fix this problem either from inside the modem's interface or by doing anything else like adding a ups to its power feed.

Changing the modem has already be done and its not for discussion yet cause if a put other market modems with different firmware than this i wont have phone services. (cause my isp use voip so they are cooperating with the manufacturer which makes them a special firmware and pre install it in this spesific model). Is anyone out there who had the same issues with this specific model or had heard anything about it or about a similar problem?

Thanks a lot .

P.S. I can assure you its not a cable issue by any means. Either the one that comes out from the wall socket neither the one providing power to the modem. They are all tested ,the problem is exclusively caused by the modem .

P.S.2. From inside the interface i can see that the modem draws a lot of power (which is expressed in dbs) and that is not so normal. Generally the electricity grind of my house is in a very good condition and i don't have any problem with any other device.The only thing i don't know is about any power drops that may occur and causing the problem, but if thats the deal they are too minor to notice them through other devices in advance.That's why i proposed a solution using a ups device .

Except the 788v2 is a VDSL2 modem/gateway.  VPU-lite?  Never heard of it.  Care to elaborate?

8 minutes ago, 2dfx said:

Except the 788v2 is a VDSL2 modem/gateway.  VPU-lite?  Never heard of it.  Care to elaborate?

Same thing as vdsl2 just a different technology in my country dont bother about it. If you google it though you found a lot of stuff explaing what it is about. To complex to get it done now ! Thanks anyway.

I saw you say the modem draws more power then it needs. Maybe you have a bit of a power surge. Look in to getting a UPS that can help condition your power. When my power goes above a certian range I have set, then it will kick to the battery to protect my stuff. You never really said where you mdoem is stored. But I noticed a few weeks ago my router was kinda warm. So I used a laptop cooler to give it a little help on cooling. Keep in mind many modems and routers dont have active cooling. 

My guess is its a power issue. OR the modem is over heating. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just a couple suggestions you could try if you want:-

1. Get a new modem, but keep your old modem to use the VOIP function for your phone lines only (turn off wifi so might help with heat issues anyway).
  2. expanding on suggestion #1.... turn off the wifi to help with heating problems, wire in an access point or another router you have spare to be the wifi/access point.
  3. Get a new modem and VOIP box?  I don't know too much about them personally, have looked into it a little when was considering it as an option, but decided against it as most of us use our mobiles now anyway.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

47 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Just a couple suggestions you could try if you want:-

1. Get a new modem, but keep your old modem to use the VOIP function for your phone lines only (turn off wifi so might help with heat issues anyway).
  2. expanding on suggestion #1.... turn off the wifi to help with heating problems, wire in an access point or another router you have spare to be the wifi/access point.
  3. Get a new modem and VOIP box?  I don't know too much about them personally, have looked into it a little when was considering it as an option, but decided against it as most of us use our mobiles now anyway.

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

I saw you say the modem draws more power then it needs. Maybe you have a bit of a power surge. Look in to getting a UPS that can help condition your power. When my power goes above a certian range I have set, then it will kick to the battery to protect my stuff. You never really said where you mdoem is stored. But I noticed a few weeks ago my router was kinda warm. So I used a laptop cooler to give it a little help on cooling. Keep in mind many modems and routers dont have active cooling. 

My guess is its a power issue. OR the modem is over heating. 

Taking a new voip modem because this one is provided by the company is way expensive so i need this to be my final solution. Other than because we have already test different modems of the same model i think that taking a spare one and make it an access point may solve the problem. In advance to @Donut417 i don't think it is a power surge from the wall socket but it is definetely something wrong with modem. I think taking a ups and combining the access point solution by @paddy-stone may deal with it for good. Finally it is not heatead by its enviroment although it doesn't have any self cooling, in fact i had also thought putting a laptop cooler to cool it. I will start with what you said step by step and we will see how it goes. I was hoping to get a "non-hardware" solution but it doesn't seem so!

Thanks a lot for your suggestions i ll take them into consideration.

1 minute ago, necromancher said:

Taking a new voip modem because this one is provided by the company is way expensive so i need this to be my final solution. Other than because we have already test different modems of the same model i think that taking a spare one and make it an access point may solve the problem. In advance to @Donut417 i don't think it is a power surge from the wall socket but it is definetely something wrong with modem. I think taking a ups and combining the access point solution by @paddy-stone may deal with it for good. Finally it is not heatead by its enviroment although it doesn't have any self cooling, in fact i had also thought putting a laptop cooler to cool it. I will start with what you said step by step and we will see how it goes. I was hoping to get a "non-hardware" solution but it doesn't seem so!

Thanks a lot for your suggestions i ll take them into consideration.

No problem, I hope it works out for you... please keep us appraised as to if you got the problem fixed, or not as the case may be.

I was hoping you might have had an old router laying around that could be re-purpose as an access point... but if not you could always get a cheap-ish AP, unless you need dual band/ac wifi of course, in which case you may be better off buying a router with ac wifi built in like the archer series from tp-link maybe. Depends on your needs, if you only need it to connect to the internet for blah things like downloading the odd app/game or even video streaming then 2.4Ghz wireless n 300mbps is good enough really and they can be had for around $15-$20... I have one that is a travel adaptor that I am using as an AP for many years now and has been almost faultless, I get approx 35mbps in tests on my 52mbps fibre line. I am only using it in the spare bedroom to connect a part of the house that has weak wifi from the main router... and I have it set up in conjunction so people can just walk around and it uses the best signal. Very easy to set up too. Hope you can make use of some of  what I have droned on about anyway.. good luck, and come back if you need more help.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini