Q6600 Still Running Strong

mealto

I love this old rig. It's still running a Q6600 (with new thermal paste), 4 HHD's of various sizes and age, a low end GT video card and a new power supply + battery. Even with 4 GB of RAM, this thing is pretty speedy for business use. Even for Premiere Pro editing, it works. Not super fast but it works.

Who needs new gear! lol

I love this old rig. It's still running a Q6600 (with new thermal paste), 4 HHD's of various sizes and age, a low end GT video card and a new power supply + battery. Even with 4 GB of RAM, this thing is pretty speedy for business use. Even for Premiere Pro editing, it works. Not super fast but it works.

Who needs new gear! lol

Love the old and the fruious!

Congrats? Want a cookie?

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

Who needs new gear? When the needs aren't met? Simple. That 4 gigs of ram won't be able to render more than 5 seconds of video using RAM Preview on After Effects.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

It still amazes me how well Win 7 works. It's like a soup'ed up Win XP machine lol. New kids these days want the biggest and baddest. There are quite a few of these business rigs in use still (with new HDD and cleaning) and it's doing their job well. Business is much different than the kid who wants the newest and fastest rig so they can show off the low temps :)

Who needs new gear? When the needs aren't met? Simple. That 4 gigs of ram won't be able to render more than 5 seconds of video using RAM Preview on After Effects.

With PP CS5, you offload rendering to the GPU with the Adobe hack to use their Mercury Engine. Otherwise, it would not be fun to edit video on this rig.

Who needs new gear! lol

i'm running a Core2Duo e6300 with a Radeon 6670 as a HTPC and it runs everything smoothly. Also running with 4gb and a 128gb ssd...it runs smooth as butter in Windows 8. For a multimedia machine, it works great. Most of the grunt work of decoding is done by the GPU and the 6670 is a beast in that regards, imo.

With PP CS5, you offload rendering to the GPU with the Adobe hack to use their Mercury Engine. Otherwise, it would not be fun to edit video on this rig.

Oh cool! I didn't know that. Going back to what I said, I just realized that it might have sounded a bit blunt. If it did my bad. On a side note, I'm also running a pretty old system. Q8400 with 8 gigs of ddr2 ram. Only diff is I upgraded to 660TI for my GPU.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Oh cool! I didn't know that. Going back to what I said, I just realized that it might have sounded a bit blunt. If it did my bad. On a side note, I'm also running a pretty old system. Q8400 with 8 gigs of ddr2 ram. Only diff is I upgraded to 660TI for my GPU.

No worries mate. I wish I had 8GB to throw in this rig. It's not easy trying to find 4x2GB PC2-5300 ram these days. And the people who have them wants an arm and a leg for them.

Yes, without being able to offload realtime rendering to the Mercury Engine, even the newest rig would have trouble handling 1080 60p content in Premiere Pro.

I'd built a light gaming and productivity rig for my sis-in-law a while back, built from mostly spare parts I had lying around....

LGA775 C2 Q6600 @3ghz

Asus P5W DH Deluxe

2x 2GB DDR2 800

LeadTek GTS450 (new)

128GB OCZ Vertex SSD (IIRC...new)

1TB  WD Green (IIRC, had a spare WD HDD lying around at the time)

Xigmatek 600W PSU (new.....could be 650W, can't remember now)

64bit Win7 HP (had a spare 64bit license as well)

That rig does what she needs it to do....in spades. OP's just jazzed that his older rig is still kicking ass.....and I can go widdat! ;)

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Older computer hardware almost always has a use. My old E8400 core2duo is running a Minecraft and a Starmade server just fine.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Older computer hardware almost always has a use. My old E8400 core2duo is running a Minecraft and a Starmade server just fine.

Agreed. As long as the other parts stay healthy (ie. new HDD, thermal paste, a good cleaning etc...), I have an even older rig than you running as an HTPC as well.

I'm going to use Q6600 for making my parents faster machine. Their old P4 is getting too slow to use. Only sad thing is that I have to install Vista to it because I don't want to spend any more than I have to for building it. It'll be just new case and then all other parts I have lying around. Abit IP35P, Q6600, Noctua NH-U9B, 4gb DDR2, 400Gb WD Blue, EVGA GT8800, CM 430W.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I'm going to use Q6600 for making my parents faster machine. Their old P4 is getting too slow to use. Only sad thing is that I have to install Vista to it because I don't want to spend any more than I have to for building it. It'll be just new case and then all other parts I have lying around. Abit IP35P, Q6600, Noctua NH-U9B, 4gb DDR2, 400Gb WD Blue, EVGA GT8800, CM 430W.

Nice! Vista will do nicely as long as they are not power users. The fewer things you do with Vista, the longer it's shelf life will be. They are going to see a massive difference from their P4! And see if there any Vista tweaks you can implement after installation. Have fun, should be a nice gift.

Who needs new gear! lol

I have a very similar system, q6600 with a GT620 that I am using for a HTPC ATM.  If I upgrade it will be to a haswell purely to save on power when the system goes into idle.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

good, good, good.?

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

• 1 month later...

wow it's nice to see that their are other old systems users on this forum, I have a nice older system myself that is still kicking some butt. I made it into my home media PC. I don't understand some of the younger guys always telling me to get a new this or that when my system is doing just nicely.  I have upgraded parts in the system when the time was right but it's still doing good.  

Here is what I got.  

Gateway LX610 Intel core 2 quad Q8400 @ 2.85Ghz  thanks to a bios update? it was running @2.33ghz

8GB DDR2 800mhz

Adata 256 sp pro ssd

Sony DVD/CDRW combo drive

WD Blue 320gb hdd x2

WD Blue 600gb hdd

WD Green  2TB hdd

WD Black 3TB hdd

His 7870 ghz edition 2gb 

Window 7 pro

just picked up an usb 3.0 pci x expan card

also have Logitech M510 mouse and K350m combo wireless keyboard and mouse

wireless Xbox 360 adapter x 2 with Xbox 360 controllers for games

I have it in the living room on a 3 monitor set up. One hd tv 55 sony at 120hz playing in 1080p, and 2 Asus 24" 1080p monitors

I one of the monitors hooked up with head phones so when my niece wants to watch her Disney movies I can put it on that monitor for her and she can use the head phones while I play my game lol

I play most if not all games in high settings and I wanted to build a new pc this year after taxes but I might hold out for the next cpu's to drop at the end of the year?  

Any one know where I could pick up so ddr2 8500?  also with the pricess around 100 dollars on ebay is an Q9650 a good pic up or should I not even bother with the 2 new pic ups? 

Thanks 

sorry didn't know this thread was that old, and thank you for the information.  question? why was the thread still open if it was that old?   Anyway sorry and thanks again. 

Please don't thread necro. It's against the CoC.

why would this be against the COC? it's on open general discussion and wasn't close?  I'm just wondering thank you for any information on that I don't want to be a bad forum member. 

I still have a Q6600 on my old 6 year old computer. It's running amazingly well. :D

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2