AMD Ryzen reviewers say: - Either experiencing weird results or not recommened for gaming

Well this thread looks like an angry, explosive storm of arguments...

I haven't read it all, and I don't think I will (because it got really long really fast), but that's what it looks like...

I personally think this looks promising. I probably won't be getting one of the current Ryzen chips (that's mostly because of money limitations, I would if it didn't mean spending everything), but the future for CPUs looks pretty good right now.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Was there any info regarding the 1700 vs. 1800x?

Everyone right now mostly has stock clock scores. They got the materials less than a week before today so there hasnt been enough time to do thorough testing and OC.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Just now, VagabondWraith said:

So like a Fury.

kinda, but I have only seen OC when it was under 100% load in benchmarks where it ran about 80c.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

1800x

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Does anyone know if R7s are performing the same as any of Intel's comparable chips at the same clock speed?

2 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Everyone right now mostly has stock clock scores. They got the materials less than a week before today so there hasnt been enough time to do thorough testing and OC.

That's kind of a shitty excuse. It only takes a couple hours to overclock and run some stress tests. Of course to really stress an overclock you have to test it for a long time, but a 1-2 hour stress test is more than enough to validate an overclock as being reasonable. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, Mr Bacon said:

Does anyone know if R7s are performing the same as any of Intel's comparable chips at the same clock speed?

clock for clock they are a little worse, but nothing major.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

That's kind of a shitty excuse. It only takes a couple hours to overclock and run some stress tests. Of course to really stress an overclock you have to test it for a long time, but a 1-2 hour stress test is more than enough to validate an overclock as being reasonable. 

Thats what pcper said and im assuming its true for the rest. No one has OC scores

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

5 minutes ago, Mr Bacon said:

According to Tom's Hardware:

" Even after down-clocking the -7700K to 3.8 GHz, it still beats Ryzen 7 1800X in nearly every game in our suite. Those issues would only be exacerbated on a Ryzen 7 1700X, which operates at lower clock rates."

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu,4951-6.html

(Link goes to their gaming benchmarks - my quote is from their Conclusion section)

i'd give it a week for OC scores to come out, as CPU releases are stressful enough without having to throw in the possibility of unstable OC's, also it might be good to see how they OC out in the wild when customers receive their retail chips.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

12 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

So like a Fury.

Like an overclocker's dream ;)

"If you ain't first, you're last"

12 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Check Joker's video on the 1700

Just now, Memories4K said:

link? 

Did he compare overclocking on the two or at stock? I'm just curious to know how well a 1700 overclocks -- or if it's power limited/or in some way inferior to an 1800x (other than factory clockspeeds).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

link? 

Did he compare overclocking on the two or at stock? I'm just curious to know how well a 1700 overclocks -- or if it's power limited/or in some way inferior to an 1800x (other than factory clockspeeds).

1700 performs the same to 1800X at same clock speeds (OC'd 1700)
Probably better headroom on 1800X/1700X but for the most part the 1700 seems like the best value deal.

I am waiting for AMDs top Ryzen APU for my mITX oil cooler PC upgrade.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, Memories4K said:

1700 performs the same to 1800X at same clock speeds (OC'd 1700)

I figured that much, I wanted to know if the 1700 would overclock to similar speeds as the 1800x or if the 1700 would be power limited or terribly binned. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

And the fact that you cant get the fastest speeds out of your RAM when apparently that is needed, is certainly a knee breaker. I dont know how many people are buying the 1800X and expecting it to replace an I5-7600K or an I7-7700K for gaming purposes, but this certainly kills the hype train and makes you wonder if Ryzen 5 will even be a challenge against the I5-7600K and I3-7350K....

The way I see it there will be several types of builds:

1) Ultimate workstation: Still on X99 because you need the 40+ PCI-E Lanes

2) Reasonable workstation to budget workstation: This is strict Ryzen Territory

3) High end gaming/workstation hybrids (a.k.a. the Game Streamer type) it's also just more convenient on Ryzen even if you sacrifite a bit of settings and such: Refresh rate isn't as important for streaming the content which it's limited to 60 FPS and even 30 FPS

4) High end to top mid range gaming builds: This are still 7700k rigs for the foreseable future. There's no denying that the extra IPC will help more than the extra cores, sorry but Ryzen is probably not for you

5) Mid range and below (mind you, the bigest and most profitable gaming bracket) Ryzen: For the price it looks like Ryzen will offer 4 core and 6 core chips that produce enough Single Core and Multithreaded performance to sustain Something like a 1070 (though barely) and below.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

I am waiting for AMDs top Ryzen APU for my mITX oil cooler PC upgrade.

It might be a good choice but that seems like the perfect use case for a passively cooled 460 or 1050.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

It might be a good choice but that seems like the perfect use case for a passively cooled 460 or 1050.

Ya my "Bucket" does not have room for a GPU but it has really good cooling performance. I just been wanting to clean it out fix up the things I found doing it the first time around. But I don't want to do it with out a nice CPU upgrade. 

7 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

The way I see it there will be several types of builds:

1) Ultimate workstation: Still on X99 because you need the 40+ PCI-E Lanes

2) Reasonable workstation to budget workstation: This is strict Ryzen Territory

3) High end gaming/workstation hybrids (a.k.a. the Game Streamer type) it's also just more convenient on Ryzen even if you sacrifite a bit of settings and such: Refresh rate isn't as important for streaming the content which it's limited to 60 FPS and even 30 FPS

4) High end to top mid range gaming builds: This are still 7700k rigs for the foreseable future. There's no denying that the extra IPC will help more than the extra cores, sorry but Ryzen is probably not for you

5) Mid range and below (mind you, the bigest and most profitable gaming bracket) Ryzen: For the price it looks like Ryzen will offer 4 core and 6 core chips that produce enough Single Core and Multithreaded performance to sustain Something like a 1070 (though barely) and below.

AMD have clearly marketed Ryzen 7 for the mid/lower end workstations and game streamers, and with all the results we've been seeing, AMD have nailed it almost perfectly.

Just need to see how Ryzen 5 and 3 perform to see if they can push intel over from the lower end priced gaming builds.

also if i had the money a 1700X would be a perfect CPU for me as i could do with the threads in lightroom and blender.

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

Ya my "Bucket" does not have room for a GPU but it has really good cooling performance. I just been wanting to clean it out fix up the things I found doing it the first time around. But I don't want to do it with out a nice CPU upgrade. 

Bucket? Well that does sounds very low fi I just pictured a bucked you filled up when changing your engine oil or something

-------

Current Rig

-------

24 minutes ago, Memories4K said:

He put out another video on the 1700 vs 7700K just now.

@djdwosk97

His original video for @djdwosk97

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

7 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Bucket? Well that does sounds very low fi I just pictured a bucked you filled up when changing your engine oil or something

It is the mITX kit from pudget systems. It is basically a 2 gallon Tupperware container. I like that it has a lid, but hate that the $60 I spent on QDC fittings broke due to the oil messing with the orings. I was smart enough to buy a second container before they got patent trolled.

4 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

-snip-

I have absolutely no idea what is going on now. In some reviews gaming performance is dog shit, in others it's amazing.  From what I can gather this seems to be a problem with the BIOS, Computerbase.de for example got a 25% improvement in performance from using a newer BIOS. Trust AMD to mess up a product launch. xD

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

13 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

I have absolutely no idea what is going on now. In some reviews gaming performance is dog shit, in others it's amazing.  From what I can gather this seems to be a problem with the BIOS, Computerbase.de for example got a 25% improvement in performance from using a newer BIOS. Trust AMD to mess up a product launch. xD

There's some clearly CPU and Mobo lottery action that's been going on.  Which isn't too surprising, as it's a new CPU architecture and a new Chipset as well.  And that's before whatever the issue with SMT current is.  LTT's numbers are solid, even with Memory running slower than others have gotten it stable to.

So there's definitely issues with possibly launching a month earlier than they should have, but even a month delayed probably doesn't change too much as far as the problems we're seeing.  There are just things you can't find until a lot of people are testing a product.

4 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

snip

This data is useless without knowing the resolutions they tested at. Ryzen loses out on 1080 bot almost equals intel at 1440p and 4k due to a GPU bottleneck being introduced.
I cannot imagine people buying a 500 cjup to game at 1080p but o well. some people are stupid.

Welp