Netflix quality if I connect my smartphone to my 24" monitor?

JorenBus

So I currently live in a dorm, which has a 200GB download cap for me and 3 other people.

Needless to say, that's waaaaay too low which means I have to improvise.

I go home every weekend, where I have unlimited download (as it should be). 

I was thinking about downloading movies/series on my phone (OnePlus 3), then connect my phone through a USB-C to HDMI connector to my monitor.

How will the quality be of the movies I'm watching? I assume it will be worse than watching normal Netflix on my laptop right? If so, how much more worse?

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

Just now, mikat said:

you can't connect an external monitor to the oneplus 3, you'd need a chromecast.

Ohh didn't know that, thank you for that.

Then how about the quality if I use chromecast? Also, how much data does streaming through chromecast take?

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

Can't you just transfer the movies to your PC and watch it on the monitor the simple way?

or do you use the monitor like a TV and not have a computer?

Just now, musama18117 said:

Can't you just transfer the movies to your PC and watch it on the monitor the simple way?

or do you use a monitor like a TV and not have a computer?

I can't access downloaded Netflix movies on my phone.

Just now, JorenBus said:

I can't access downloaded Netflix movies on my phone.

Well that clears it up.

Seems like the old iPhone 4 USB trick only works with the old iPhone 4.

1 minute ago, JorenBus said:

Ohh didn't know that, thank you for that.

Then how about the quality if I use chromecast? Also, how much data does streaming through chromecast take?

http://bgr.com/2016/11/30/netflix-download-app-chromecast-airplay-update/

RIP, netflix doesn't want you to play the video on a different device than the one it was downloaded on :/

1 minute ago, mikat said:

RIP, netflix doesn't want you to play the video on a different device than the one it was downloaded on :/

Ahh god damnit. Well I assume there aren't any other alternatives then eh?

The reason I think is becasue ChromeCast will connect to netflix directly to play the movie and not to your phone, that's why you don't get the controls on the downloaded content.

BUT!!!! You can mirror your smart phone screen to the ChromeCast.

Maybe you could try that not sure if it works for Netflix Content. I have both Netflix and a ChromeCast at home, but I won't be home until Saturday to test. I know it works with the videos from the Galery (Not Google Photos) of my Samsung Phone to the TV.

Cast your Android screen from the Google Home app
https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6059461?hl=en-GB

11 minutes ago, mikat said:

Well they don't want you to have direct access to the mp4, because people will "illegally" share the films and series and that's why you can only download netflix things on your phone not computers :/

Oliy Barrett

Founder and Web Developer at discordbots.org

last time I watched Netflix on my phone it didn't even do it in HD.

just connect your laptop, use Microsoft Edge and it runs at 1080p.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

16 minutes ago, treeroy said:

didnt-read-lol.gif

@OP i'm currently trying that shit for ya :D

Downloading something off netflix and see if i can just stream it to my TV with the Anycast thingy Samsung and Android have.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

54 minutes ago, treeroy said:

Please read my post before commenting to avoid looking like a fool.

37 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

didnt-read-lol.gif

@OP i'm currently trying that shit for ya :D

Downloading something off netflix and see if i can just stream it to my TV with the Anycast thingy Samsung and Android have.

Allright let me know how it goes!

21 minutes ago, JorenBus said:

Welp... didnt go so well lol

I tried to cast a downloaded netflix video to my TV which didnt work, it apparently had a connection problem.

Then i tried again with a direct stream which didnt work either lol.

But Casting with Youtube works perfectly. I'll try again later!

However i've done the following serveral times:

- Download a Movie with Amazon Prime to my Tablet

- Connect Tablet via mini HDMI (it's a Nvidia Shield) and play it that way.

So if the Netflix thing doesnt work out you could try that. Maybe get a cheap Shield or other HDMI Tablet used.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

it depends if u download in 1080p then yr going to get 1080p on yr monitor and it will look fine as long as the download is 1080p or higher yr golden

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

the platform dont matter as long as the resolution of the flim is the resolution you want to watch on yr monitor

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

14 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Welp... didnt go so well lol

I tried to cast a downloaded netflix video to my TV which didnt work, it apparently had a connection problem.

Then i tried again with a direct stream which didnt work either lol.

But Casting with Youtube works perfectly. I'll try again later!

However i've done the following serveral times:

- Download a Movie with Amazon Prime to my Tablet

- Connect Tablet via mini HDMI (it's a Nvidia Shield) and play it that way.

So if the Netflix thing doesnt work out you could try that. Maybe get a cheap Shield or other HDMI Tablet used.

Allright thanks for testing that out! I might look into a Shield or other HDMI tablet, seems reasonable.

Thanks for the help!

You could also use a USB-C to USB-A adapter and a DisplayLink based USB to HDMI adapter like this: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00QGW67Q2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_3veUyb6G499BG

There's a DisplayLink driver for Android available through the Play store for Android 5.0 or later.

DisplayLink is available in both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 flavors. USB 2.0 versions are typically much cheaper but will have noticable artifacts and is good for productivity but not movies. USB 3.0 does compress the video but shouldn't be to a visible degree.

20 hours ago, JorenBus said:

Please read my post before commenting to avoid looking like a fool.

I did read your post. You're asking about connecting your phone to your monitor to watch Netflix. I'm asking why can't you use the laptop instead. 

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

In case you are still interested. I am finally home and did the test.

I downloaded a Netflix movie to the phone (Samsung Galaxy), connected it to the Chromecast (Ver 2) via the Google Home App, the option to mirror the screen on the TV. then started playing the movie on my phone. IT DOES WORK. However i did not have any sound on the TV, and the video was choppy and quality was not really good.

So I think your best bet is to get the Shield Tablet or any other tablet with HDMI out. Hope this helps.