Arguments to convince why you shoulnt get a cheap PSU?

Blackhole890
Go to solution Solved by quan289,

"Why I need to replace the PSU? It's powering my system just fine"

"Why do I need to go to the doctor to get a checkup? I'm living"

Ok, that's an exaggerated analogy, but it gets the point across and that's the same mentality that your friend is having. Just because something seem to be ok, doesn't necessary mean it is.

Depending on where you guys are from, there are PSUs with fake 80+ certification out there, so your friend should be wary of that if he is trying to used it as an foul-proof indication of reliability / usability. And even if it isn't fake, the certification doesn't give you the overall picture of its actual performance metrics, component selections, whether if it has working protections, etc. All it really tells you if it is capable of delivering 20/50/100% load at room temperature of 23C (not in an actual case).

What about Tacens? While I haven't dealt with their products personally, to my understanding they had resorted to using fake ones in the past, and if you look at Ecova's Plug Load Solution site (the company that certified these PSUs for 80+), you will see that the specific Mars series is not documented of it being certified in the first place. https://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSuppliesDetail.aspx?id=210&type=2

If Tacens is claiming their PSUs to be 80+ certified when it is not, who to say that they aren't providing a fake rated wattage as well? In other words, your friend that is so adamant on getting a higher 800w unit for whatever reason may actually be only a 500w unit at best, and that doesn't take into consideration of all of the other important aspect in determining the PSU quality. So what's the point of getting something that merely claimed something over a honest, lower wattage unit that has better overall quality and potentially better warranty and customer service overall?

Now a poor power supply can typically fail sooner than a quality one as stated already, and whether or not it is capable of taking out some of your component will depend on the point of failure (a primary side failure that often result in a loud bang may not necessary be damaging to your system as it is galvanically isolated from the secondary side where your components is hooked up to). But even if it doesn't fail, that doesn't mean that it isn't doing any harm. Not only it can cause stability issues short-term, it can also have a negative impact of your system overall lifespan long-term. Remember that whatever the PSU is outputting, your system may need to deal with and have to work harder to compensate. This is why there's a specification that these manufacturer should follow when manufacturing these PSUs, but sadly, they don't. They willing to violate that specification to make money; and when something in your system fails, most people will not think that the PSU is at fault. Even if they did considered it, they don't have the proper equipment to test it in the first place - let alone the knowledge to use it.

I mean have a look at this PSU. http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6714

Violated ATX specification significantly at 100wDC despite being rated for 680w and continued to do so at loads above 200wDC before it blew up. If you don't see any stability issue, it likely already doing harm to system that doesn't have a GPU.

But hey. It's fine as long as it's running right? As a business, I love people with that mentality because I get paid to sell garbage. Seriously though. If you are using someone else money to buy those components, I think you owe it to them, at the very least, make an informed decision on what you buy.

So i created this thread because i cant convince my friend to get a better psu, he only looks for something which has 700-800w and 80+ with the cheapest price... And my arguments are invalid because "how can you proof me that this psu is going to explode? Because i have been using this same PSU for 3 years (playing AAA games for sure) and it didnt happen anything..." or "Who knows more, the guy who is working there or you who only plays videogames all the fucking day...?"

example: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zDcYhq (plot twist: actually, a youtuber got that for his daily gaming sessions...)

@Energycore @STRMfrmXMN please :)

Remember to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we won't going to recieve your answers...

PC Specs                   PCPartpicker full performance builds (from350$-1250$)

1 minute ago, Blackhole890 said:

So i created this thread because i cant convince my friend to get a better psu, he only looks for something which has 700-800w and 80+ with the cheapest price... And my arguments are invalid because "how can you proof me that this psu is going to explode? Because i have been using this same PSU for 3 years (playing AAA games for sure) and it didnt happen anything..." or "Who knows more, the guy who is working there or you who only plays videogames all the fucking day...?"

example: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zDcYhq

Heres a arguement, 'It will fucking blow up and kill your pc'

A8-7600 {} Gigabyte FM2+ Board {} CX430 {} Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb {} MSI GTX 760 2GB {}

Console.WriteLine("C# is aids");

Just now, nobiggieBIG said:

Just now, Blackhole890 said:

"how can you proof me that this psu is going to explode? Because i have been using this same PSU for 3 years (playing AAA games for sure) and it didnt happen anything..."

Remember to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we won't going to recieve your answers...

PC Specs                   PCPartpicker full performance builds (from350$-1250$)

4 minutes ago, Blackhole890 said:

example: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zDcYhq

If he won't listen to reason and wants to put his pc at risk let him, it will either catch fire or be fine, His loss or not.  I don't have the patience to argue with stupid people =P

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

Here's my argument: let him cheap out only to find that the PC blows up a year later.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

If he likes to blow his whole system and start all over again (which could happen)? The PSU is the only component that can manage to damage and destroy everything else in the system.

A friend of mine thought he could cheap out, bought a 500W cheapo psu (the cheapest almost he could have found) and first time he stressed his gpu and cpu both at the same time, the psu went up in smoke. Thankfully nothing else was damaged. Then he bought a good quality unit and the system runs ever since without any problem.

It CAN happen but it doesn't have too. Though your risk is unlikely higher than with a good psu.

Another thing is stable power delivery: if the juice that's coming from the wall isn't particularly constant and fluctuates a bit, a good psu can handle this, but a cheap not. so the fluctuations go on to other components and this can impact your overall system stability.

One last thing: It always have been true to me: if you buy cheap, you will buy twice

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

4 minutes ago, Blackhole890 said:

Yes, i did and its not worth it. it can ruin your rig, and just go with a reputable one like corsair or evga

A8-7600 {} Gigabyte FM2+ Board {} CX430 {} Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb {} MSI GTX 760 2GB {}

Console.WriteLine("C# is aids");

11 minutes ago, nobiggieBIG said:

because expensive PSUs can't "blow"?!

PSUs should be bought from companies that actually make PSUs for a living, Seasonic for example, Leadex / SuperFlower other example

Don't tell him anything, you tried to convince him. If it doesn't blow up he will have earned a bit of cash and all is great, however tell him to fuck off if it does blow. 

6 minutes ago, nobiggieBIG said:

Yes, i did and its not worth it. it can ruin your rig, and just go with a reputable one like corsair or evga

Even corsair make some pretty bad ones, look at the VS line for example.

Same for EVGA, look at the basic 400watt, non-80 plus model.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

hey if he wants his computet to die all at once, thats a great reason to get an entire new PC, and if it miraculessly dosent blow up in his face then he saved some cash. there is no point in arguing any further because i doubt he will be convinced. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

33 minutes ago, Blackhole890 said:

example: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zDcYhq (plot twist: actually, a youtuber got that for his daily gaming sessions...)

tell him "whatever" but when it blows up and takes half the system with it he can figure out what to do on his own. 

You don't realise the importance of a good power supply until the crappy one you have dies and potentially takes other components with it.

If it manages to operate continuously without any problems, good for him. If it dies and fries the GPU or motherboard, then that's his loss. Plus, you can always gloat about it, "I told you so", like any good friend would do. At the end of day, if he wishes to be stubborn and ignore your advice, then he should accept the consequences if he's unfortunate enough.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

41 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

Here's my argument: let him cheap out only to find that the PC blows up a year later.

the most funny thing is when everybody else gets a crappy psu and it doesnt happen anything (for 4 years in this case, and still powering), so a normal person would believe more on someone who had a "crappy" psu because until they blow (at least here, on Spain, i have never heard about someone that his PC went down because PSU) why would they spend more money on a psu more expensive if they are "just" more expensive and less watts/price? They could argue that's just "marketing" too... And yes, until their psu explode (which is unusual here, more like 1 out 5000 because those are pretty old computers which they were functioning for 10 years at least), they wont get a good psu and this makes me think that im the dumb here, spending more money on a quality psu + their rate to explode is pretty low... (ಥ_ಥ)

@19_blackie_73 @Ryoku @Bananasplit_00 @8-Bit Ninja

32 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Even corsair make some pretty bad ones, look at the VS line for example.

Same for EVGA, look at the basic 400watt, non-80 plus model.

why there's still youtubers with that psu recommendation? I mean, on budget builds, most of them recommends those evga 430...

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

"I told you so"

The funny thing is that "I told you so" is against me, coz he got a crappy psu for 4 years and nothing happened yet... Even if radomly explodes right know, he doesnt give a fuck because he takes his parent's credit card and spends again on a new computer like nothing happened here xD...

PS: The only problem that i have is how cringy is this for me, thats why im trying to complaining this much, and i know, its not my problem/computer but you know, these kind of "friends" makes me mad and triggers me so hard to punch them face ಠ_ಠ

why there's still youtubers with that psu recommendation? I mean, on budget builds, most of them recommends those evga 430...

Who's recommended it that's a reputable channel? I haven't seen any big/known channels recommend using it.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, RKRiley said:

Who's recommended it that's a reputable channel? I haven't seen any big/known channels recommend using it.

TechSource for example, he doesnt recommend but he uses as a psu... 

TechSource for example, he doesnt recommend but he uses as a psu... 

Eh in a $350 build they're not gonna be powering expensive hardware, I personally still wouldnt use one for it, but they'd be fine for those specs.

@Blackhole890 Mine lasted for almost 2 years and when it decided to blow up it took my mobo and CPU with it, forcing me to sidegrade RIGHT BEFORE Ryzen ._.

My current PSU is a new old stock OCZ semi-modular that was HALF the price of the crappy one I got 2 years ago (model escapes me)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Although the likelihood of a PSU taking out all of your hardware is rather low as even really shitty units will usually die before they catch fire and destroy the rest of your system, if they perform very poorly and have awful ripple or whatever else then that does put a strain on your components, namely hard drives and anything plugged into USB ports that require USB power. 

A dying PSU is usually fairly obvious (or at least, due to my experiences, it's obvious to me) as your system will often not boot properly with a discrete GPU installed, it won't boot with 3.5" hard drives installed, etc. 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

"Why I need to replace the PSU? It's powering my system just fine"

"Why do I need to go to the doctor to get a checkup? I'm living"

Ok, that's an exaggerated analogy, but it gets the point across and that's the same mentality that your friend is having. Just because something seem to be ok, doesn't necessary mean it is.

Depending on where you guys are from, there are PSUs with fake 80+ certification out there, so your friend should be wary of that if he is trying to used it as an foul-proof indication of reliability / usability. And even if it isn't fake, the certification doesn't give you the overall picture of its actual performance metrics, component selections, whether if it has working protections, etc. All it really tells you if it is capable of delivering 20/50/100% load at room temperature of 23C (not in an actual case).

What about Tacens? While I haven't dealt with their products personally, to my understanding they had resorted to using fake ones in the past, and if you look at Ecova's Plug Load Solution site (the company that certified these PSUs for 80+), you will see that the specific Mars series is not documented of it being certified in the first place. https://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSuppliesDetail.aspx?id=210&type=2

If Tacens is claiming their PSUs to be 80+ certified when it is not, who to say that they aren't providing a fake rated wattage as well? In other words, your friend that is so adamant on getting a higher 800w unit for whatever reason may actually be only a 500w unit at best, and that doesn't take into consideration of all of the other important aspect in determining the PSU quality. So what's the point of getting something that merely claimed something over a honest, lower wattage unit that has better overall quality and potentially better warranty and customer service overall?

Now a poor power supply can typically fail sooner than a quality one as stated already, and whether or not it is capable of taking out some of your component will depend on the point of failure (a primary side failure that often result in a loud bang may not necessary be damaging to your system as it is galvanically isolated from the secondary side where your components is hooked up to). But even if it doesn't fail, that doesn't mean that it isn't doing any harm. Not only it can cause stability issues short-term, it can also have a negative impact of your system overall lifespan long-term. Remember that whatever the PSU is outputting, your system may need to deal with and have to work harder to compensate. This is why there's a specification that these manufacturer should follow when manufacturing these PSUs, but sadly, they don't. They willing to violate that specification to make money; and when something in your system fails, most people will not think that the PSU is at fault. Even if they did considered it, they don't have the proper equipment to test it in the first place - let alone the knowledge to use it.

I mean have a look at this PSU. http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6714

Violated ATX specification significantly at 100wDC despite being rated for 680w and continued to do so at loads above 200wDC before it blew up. If you don't see any stability issue, it likely already doing harm to system that doesn't have a GPU.

But hey. It's fine as long as it's running right? As a business, I love people with that mentality because I get paid to sell garbage. Seriously though. If you are using someone else money to buy those components, I think you owe it to them, at the very least, make an informed decision on what you buy.